Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L boot problem

Exclamation Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L boot problem

Hi all, first post and a hell of a problem.
    my system: Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L, core2duo 6400, 2Gb DDR2 800 Geil, PSU LCPower6550G 550W, 4 HDD:
    1 WD 80Gb sata > 2 partitons (1 system)
    1 WD 250Gb sata
    1 Seagate 120Gb sata
    1 Seagate 160Gb sata

hard drive placement:
    sata0-sataII WD 80Gb ide channel 1 master
    sata1-sataII WD 250Gb ide channel 3 master
    sata2-sata Seagate 120Gb ide channel 1 slave
    sata3-sata Seagate 160Gb ide channel 3 slave

LG DVD/RW (IDE) ide channel 0 master
    empty ide channel 0 slave

With a new clean reinstall of windows xp professional sp2, again.
    Sometimes it freezes, usually when I move files from one disk to another. The HDD led stays always on and the only thing to do is to reset, but on boot I get the message 'DISK Boot failure insert system disk and press enter'. In BIOS none of the disks are recognized.
    The solution is to power off, clear CMOS or unplug and plug the sata cables :) and the system boots up fine until I copy/move files around.

Things I've tried so far:
    - I did several installs of the OS in all the HDD and the problem persisted;
    - The WD 250Gb is new because I was thinking there was something wrong with all the others;
    - New 2Gb (2x1Gb) of Geil memory;
    - HDD check with manufacturers software (Western Digital and Seagate) and chkdsk from windows - no problems found;
    - Switched sata cables;
    - Changed the placement of the hard drives in the sata ports;
    - New BIOS F8 (default/optimal settings loaded)
    - I've tried in BIOS: Sata auto, combined, enhanced,... always the same problem.
    Is there something I'm missing here?

P.S.: do I need sata drives when installing Windows? The F6 'thing'.

Thank you in advanced for your support.
    Regards
    Last edited by noznika01; 11-12-2008 at 11:03 PM.

Default Re: Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L boot problem

The F6 thing is for the AHCI and/or RAID OS driver if you have it set that way in the bios. F6 method is required for OS's upto but not including Vista. Vista has it's own generic drivers, although if you must, the F6 method may still be used with Vista.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

In that case gigabyte should include a sata drive disk. But I don't have RAID.
    Just asked because the problem could be that, but when installing Windows all the HDD are recognized.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

There is NO Slave/Master for SATA and ALL things except CD/DVD should be set to Auto/NONE in the Standard CMOS Features Page. That is likely part of your Issue

Gigabyte DOES include the drivers you need and your manual shows you how to use them. There on the CD in the BootDRV folder MSM32 or MSM64 is the Intel Drivers (SATA and RAID are all in one) you may also just grab one at Intel >>>
    32Bit
    IntelĀ® Matrix Storage ManagerĀ 32-bit Floppy Configuration Utility

64Bit
    IntelĀ® Matrix Storage ManagerĀ 64-bit Floppy Configuration Utility
    If you are using XP you will need a floppy, if you are using Vista you can use a USB or CD or put them on one of your drives

I do see in your manual driver pre-install is not needed, or at least shown. But I doubt that is the case

BIOS settings you should use are with your OS disk plugged into the 0 SATA Port (Which is the very bottom one by itself) >>>

Standard CMOS Page

All except your CD/DVD drives to Auto and NONE inside

Integrated Peripherals Page

OnChip SATA mode

Combined if you are using a SATA CD/DVD Player
    Enhanced if you ONLY have SATA Hard drives connected to the SATA Ports

Are you installing the Intel Chipset Driver Package? If not that may also be part of your issue

Here, this The newest one Intel is hosting it is Multi OS 32/64 bit package for all Intel Chipsets >>>
    Download Locations

*EDIT*

Please also see here a fix a user posted who had similar issues >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-g...ling-xp-28550/
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 11-14-2008 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    There is NO Slave/Master for SATA and ALL things except CD/DVD should be set to Auto/NONE in the Standard CMOS Features Page. That is likely part of your Issue
    I have a IDE DVD/RW, in Auto, jumper setting Master.
    Gigabyte DOES include the drivers you need and your manual shows you how to use them. There on the CD in the BootDRV folder MSM32 or MSM64 is the Intel Drivers (SATA and RAID are all in one) you may also just grab one at Intel >>>
    32Bit
    IntelĀ® Matrix Storage ManagerĀ 32-bit Floppy Configuration Utility

64Bit
    IntelĀ® Matrix Storage ManagerĀ 64-bit Floppy Configuration Utility
    If you are using XP you will need a floppy, if you are using Vista you can use a USB or CD or put them on one of your drives
    I do see in your manual driver pre-install is not needed, or at least shown. But I doubt that is the case
    I'm using XP. so you recommend to download from Intel and put it in a floppy and on the next XP install use it, even when there is no need to driver pre-install? I thought that the floppy was only needed when XP didn't recognised a sata hdd and that is not my case.
    BIOS settings you should use are with your OS disk plugged into the 0 SATA Port (Which is the very bottom one by itself)
    Yes, I have it plugged like that.

Standard CMOS Page
    All except your CD/DVD drives to Auto and NONE inside
    checked, ok.
    Integrated Peripherals Page
    OnChip SATA mode
    Combined if you are using a SATA CD/DVD Player
    Enhanced if you ONLY have SATA Hard drives connected to the SATA Ports
    I have selected Enhanced, I only have a IDE DVD/RW.

Are you installing the Intel Chipset Driver Package? If not that may also be part of your issue
    Here, this The newest one Intel is hosting it is Multi OS 32/64 bit package for all Intel Chipsets >>>
    Download Locations
    Yes, I've installed the chipset driver from the Gigabyte cd that comes with the motherboard.
    Please also see here a fix a user posted who had similar issues >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-g...ling-xp-28550/
    Thank you for the link, but I already have seen it. I'm not sitting here waiting for an answer :)
    From my searches there is a lot of people with similar issues with this motherboard.
    I'll update all the drivers with the ones you gave me and see what happens.
    I'll report after.
    Well, this is support! Thank you for your time and attention.
    Kind regards

Ya, since XP recognizes your disk it should not be needed, but may help smooth things out so I would try it for sure anyway.

Sorry I do not have more answers for you, how did you test of the driver with install come?

Hi, good morning.
    I didn't have the time to test it yet, maybe this week (if my baby son let me :)).
    I'll feedback after. Thank you for your interest.
    regards.

P.S.: and by the way, sorry for the english. if there is something you can't read/understand, don't worry because the problem is really me :)

Ok, let us know how you get along with this.

I can understand you fine man, no worry's

Hi. Finally I'm back.
    Well I must say that I haven't updated any of the drives posted here. First I've decided to troubleshoot the hardware, again.

I rebooted several times (with 1 memory stick, 2 mem. sticks, 1HDD, 2HDD, 3HDD, 4HDD changing connectors and slots and cables, and so on) doing the proper tests to each component and everything looked ok.

???

When I connected the last HDD, Seagate 160Gb HDD the system took a little bit more time to boot but the test with Seagate software reported no errors. I had 4 or 5 'found.###' files on it, created by chkdsk (i think). I decided to plug it to my trusted Abit NF7-s rev.2 and retested it, with chkdsk and Seagate software. Again, no errors of some sort found.
    The boot time seems the same, there are no 'found.###' files, no strange noises, for peace of mind I tested it also with a third party software reporting a 60% ok drive (better than the Seagate 120Gb HDD [50%])...

Been using my system without the 160Gb HDD for 5 days (modest gaming, video/photo editing, CAD, moving files around,...) and it seems ok.

This is a strange thing, I've waisted a lot of hours trying to resolve this and never had a hint about that specific drive. Why the software didn't detected the hardware problem?!

[thinking] After all, it was really a HDD problem?! [/thinking]

And that's it, I hope it's fixed (!?).
    Thank you very much for the support, Lsdmeasap.

Ya, those "Found" files/folders can be deleted they are recovered space from chkdsk

So just that one bad, yet ok, drive caused you the issues? Well, at least you found it! Ya, software can be funky sometimes when it comes to bad drives and finding them ok

Thread Information