Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gigabyte RAID controller issue on GA-X48-DS5

Default Re: Gigabyte RAID controller issue on GA-X48-DS5

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
    There is no question that my pc is running smoother since I rejected raid yesterday. Ironically it was one of the big things I thought I needed when I was selecting a board.

In past I've always had controller card, but in my recent Dell workstation and now this machine I've had my first tastes of onboard Raid, and I'm not impressed at all.

If and when I return to raid, I will certainly use an external card.

Other than this issue, I am crazy about the DS5 board. It runs superbly and is so configurable. Long live Gigabyte!
    I'm using Vegas 8.1 which is much faster rendering due to the upside in RAM with a 64bit OS. I'm using a RAID 5 for Vegas Raw Image files, single drive for OS, and Single drive (1TB WD Caviar Black) for writing rendered files and temporary files too - all on the ICH10R controller and it works very smoothly. Processor Cache, RAM and Processor speed is what really get's Vegas moving - Rendering for MP2 Bluray 1920x1080 60i with 8 bit takes a bit under 2x the video length to complete the renders. Thinking about going to a QX9650 for the 12mb cache advantage and upping my RAM to go further - but its decent for now as is. Using a second computer to help might speed it up more than a RAID card.
    GA-EP45-DQ6, Q6700 @ 3.33ghz, 8GB G.Skill DDR2 PC 8800, Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme, Gigabyte Poseyden case, Geforce 7300GS, WD 1TB Caviar Black, SG 250 Barracuda, Raid 5 with 3 SG 250 Barracudas on ICH10R, Raid0 with 2 WD 640 Caviar Black on 3Ware 9650SE 4LPML, LG Bluray DVD R/RW, Corsair HX620W

Glad your having a good experience. By the way, networked rendering (if that is what you meant by second computer) only improves speed with Vegas with very long projects, according to my understanding.

8.1 sounds great, but I have black frames issue with it. It also doesn't support my plugins, unfortunately.

How long a project to see help from network rendering? I have about enough parts to put another one together - but won't bother if networking won't help. Thought I would team a couple Gigabit LANs to help with the datat movement. Most of my clips are 15 minutes or so - then pulled together to DVDA. What pluggins are you using that won't work in the 64 bit world? Haven't heard about Black Frames issue - what's that?

Not using 8.1 - Raid 0 SAS - maybe 4 drives, would speed things up - assuming you aren't pegging the CPU utilization now. i7 965 would probably help too if you have the interest.
    GA-EP45-DQ6, Q6700 @ 3.33ghz, 8GB G.Skill DDR2 PC 8800, Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme, Gigabyte Poseyden case, Geforce 7300GS, WD 1TB Caviar Black, SG 250 Barracuda, Raid 5 with 3 SG 250 Barracudas on ICH10R, Raid0 with 2 WD 640 Caviar Black on 3Ware 9650SE 4LPML, LG Bluray DVD R/RW, Corsair HX620W

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information