Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte RAID controller issue on GA-X48-DS5

Default Gigabyte RAID controller issue on GA-X48-DS5

I am running 8 internal drives on my new GA-X48-DS5 and overall everthing seems to be fine except for following issue.

I am running RAID 0 configuration on Gigabyte controller using two 300GB Velociraptors. I am a video editor and this is my scratch drive, which means this is where I store video files that are currently being edited. These files usually are a total of 120GB or more in size.

My issue is that video files do not behave as they should running off of this drive. When running from another drive that resides on the Intel controller everything is fine. But no so with the Gigabyte controller. This issue was present with both the original driver and the updated one.

Playback from the Gigabyte controller is sporadic and seems to stutter sometimes.

Solutions I've tried include: Reformatting the drives. Updating controller drivers. Deleting raid configuration in the bios, reformatting drives and reinstalling the raid configuration from scratch.

I have tried running these drives in RAID 0 from the Intel controller and they are fine. The reason I don't want to leave them there may be wrong, but I don't know. My reasoning is that I assume it is best to use an independent controller for the RAID drives for performance reasons. For example I routinely transfer large files (100GB or more) between the raid drive and the other Intel controlled drives and thought it would run less efficiently if this transfer was being done with a single controller.

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Gigabyte RAID controller issue on GA-X48-DS5

do you have volume write back enable also Hard Drive Data Cache?? this 2 would help the tranfer rate .. it load in the temp memory before write ... faster but if powerloss then you might loose the data

also for me ... the main intell raid controller all way faster .. the giga raid seem slower..
    Last edited by godto; 11-14-2008 at 06:22 PM.

Hard drive cache is fine. Volume write back I haven't seen that setting before...it's not in device mangager view...

I think I will move drives to Intel controller and run OS from Gigatbyte to keep separate. OS is not RAID. Does this sound like a good move to you?

Thanks for your advice about the Gigabyte being slower...

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ya, your better bet would be to put the RAID On the Intel controller. You can have them both there if you like and would be fine. But I do see your reasoning for sure.

I used to run my OS on a RAID 0 off the GA controller and used to think it was faster but I now know the Intel is for sure. What stripe size are you using, or plan to use?

Or get a raid card and put them on that if you don't want to tie up the CPU with the RAID management. What software are you using?
    GA-EP45-DQ6, Q6700 @ 3.33ghz, 8GB G.Skill DDR2 PC 8800, Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme, Gigabyte Poseyden case, Geforce 7300GS, WD 1TB Caviar Black, SG 250 Barracuda, Raid 5 with 3 SG 250 Barracudas on ICH10R, Raid0 with 2 WD 640 Caviar Black on 3Ware 9650SE 4LPML, LG Bluray DVD R/RW, Corsair HX620W

Hard Drive Data Cache.... is on the Array
    volume write back enable .. that is on the raid volume .

in matrix .. when you click on your volume .. on the right hand side box ... in the middle of all the option and status .. you will see this option .... read the help file ... they do show you what each option do
    Last edited by godto; 11-15-2008 at 09:47 AM.

Thanks for your responses, sorry for the delay...e-mail notification doesn't appear to be working.

Anyway, I run Sony Vegas Pro 8.0c, fireworks, and dreamweaver.

I have abandoned raid entirely for now. There are a couple of reasons:

1. I don't have time to mess with it much now, I am behind in my editing (I do wedding and business videos).

2. I was running Velociraptors (2x300GB) in raid. I moved them to the Intel controller as you suggested. I then worked with it awhile. Then I deleted the raid configuration and ran without raid. I saw virtually no difference in performance. These drives seem to run almost better by themselves.

I've had the same experience with these drives on my previous PC. These drives just don't seem to function well for me in RAID 0.

3. As to getting a PCIe card and running off of another controller: good idea. But I've read the CPU runs off the Southbridge, but so do PCIe cards. I also read for a controller with the specs needed to give much advantage over the integrated raid I would need to spend $1K or more.

4. In the past I've always run raid, but with these newer drives I almost think it is unnecessary. The last year I've had issues on and off with raid, and I'm getting tired of it.

I never had these issues with SCSI. SATA is definitely a more consumer interface. I don't care for it, but I cannot afford expensive SCSI drives.

By leaving the raid behind, I now have an additional 300GB of space.

Really appreciate your feedback and assistance. I like this forum.

Ya, sorry that is either broke or turned off. I have asked a few times but no one seems to know or would like to share what the problem is!

Well, seems you have made your decision! Sounds like a plan with a bonus for you to me.

Post back anytime!

There is no question that my pc is running smoother since I rejected raid yesterday. Ironically it was one of the big things I thought I needed when I was selecting a board.

In past I've always had controller card, but in my recent Dell workstation and now this machine I've had my first tastes of onboard Raid, and I'm not impressed at all.

If and when I return to raid, I will certainly use an external card.

Other than this issue, I am crazy about the DS5 board. It runs superbly and is so configurable. Long live Gigabyte!

Ya, hardware RAID Cards Rock!!!!

Glad to see you are happy with your board!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information