Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GA-P35C-DS3R Memory & OCing problems!!!

Default Re: GA-P35C-DS3R Memory & OCing problems!!!

@marco_ar: About the memory overvoltage, are you absolutely SURE that Performance Enhance are set to STANDARD everytime?
    TURBO or EXTREME automatically increases the memory voltage to +0.1v and +0.2v besides pushing RAS-CAS timing.
    So in these situations, the NORMAL voltage is raised according. There is no warning and that CAN fry the memory, as you already measured.
    For the overclocker, remember that STANDARD is the only accepted secure mode.
    GA-Z97-D3H Windows Pro 8.1
    i5-4690K + Corsair H90
    Sapphire Radeon R7 240
    16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz PC3 19200
    Corsair CX750M
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500 GB

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Hello SVCGlobal,

Yes, I'm pretty sure that Performance Enhance are set to STANDARD everytime. Even when I set DDR2 Vovervoltage Control to "+0.3v".

But, to make things clear, I set all machine to "Normal" or "Standart" and -> DDR2 Overvoltage to "Normal" -> Performance Enhanced to "Standart", "Turbo" and did not see any effect on memories voltages or "Standart Timing Control". It keeps in 2,384v and 5-7-7-24 on each settings

Only thing that changes between "Standart" and "Turbo" mode was the -> Static tRead: "6" in "Standart" and "5" in "Turbo" mode.

Using "Extreme" step PC won't even boots.

Anyway, thanks for your concern and, if any other idea, please let me know.

Regards.

Marco.

Hi LSDmeASAP,

I guess now we are getting close to something wrong with my mobo. It doesn't uses letters like "B" or "D" for strapping. It uses symbols:

>> + -> 800 Strapping
    >> ~ -> 1066 Strapping
    >> # -> 1333 Strapping

And, the "System Memory Multipler (SPD)" has the following options:

- Auto
    - 4.0+
    - 3.00 (I use to use that one)
    - 4.0~

As you can see, there's no "#" option at "System Memory Multipler (SPD)" menu. If I set to "Auto", memory runs at 1066Mhz but with a lot of errors. If I run using "3.20" the same errors is what happens.

On the other hand, nothing changes or happens if I type "+", "~" or "#" at keyboard. Also, anything changes if I type "B" or "D" as you suggested. I use a Microsoft Digital Medio Pro Keyboard that connects to PC using USB port and I already setted USB Keyboard Support at PC setup.

How important is these "straps" things? It seems like my mobo only straps if it is using DDR3 sticks? Am I correct? Or could be a BIOS recording error???

Please let me hear from you.

Regards.

Marco.

Yes, some boards use letters, some us symbols. I was not suggesting you type anything, just saying if you had B or D or # symbol beside a multi to use them

If you are running stock FSB of 333 then you should choose 3.20 Memory Multi, and set static Tread to 10-12 for now to be sure that is not holding you back.

Hey, have you tested each stick at stock with memtest86+ to be sure you do not have a faulty stick? To do that you would set memory multi to Auto set main timings to stock, performance enhance to standard, and set your ram voltage to spec and run a few tests on each stick one at a time

Straps are not anything you should worry about, and since you only see them with 4.00 on your board you dont need to worry about them. 2.4 and 3.2 are only available on the 333 strap so you have them anyway no matter if your BIOS has a letter or symbol on them or not.

Did you try my last suggestions yet?

Please do test your ram one by one, you may just have a faulty stick causing issues

Ok,

After some considerations from Lsdmeasap and SVCGlobal I tried some ideas that I had and I guess I’m really close to understand the GA-P35C-DS3R memory timings and voltages mistery.

This board was sold by Gigabyte that says in their site:

* Please refer "Memory Support List" for memory support information.

Unfortunately I bought 2 sets of Mushkin’s 996535 (2x1Gb - XP28500 - 5-5-4-12 - 1066Mhz at 2,25v) to work with “mobo” because of their timings and speed. I know the Mushkins are not part of memory QVL. But, I’ve read there are Gigabyte’s customers who bought Corsair (CM2X1024-8500C5) or OCZ (OCZ2N1066SR2GK) and they also are experiencing problems to do it working together if using 4x1Gb sticks.

But, thinking on what “Lsdmeasap” told me about memory clock strapping I realized this “mobo” wasn't projected to work with 333Mhz Host Frequency. It was projected to work with 266Mhz Host Frequency only strapping to 1066Mhz at “System Memory Mutiplier (SPD) configured to >> 4.0. Maybe because of 1333Mhz CPU’s were rare at that time.

Then I also thought on what SVCGlobal told and, to clarify myself, I set up my
    “CPU Host Frequency” to = 266
    “System Memory Multiplier (SPD)” to = 4.0~
    “DDR2 Overvoltage Control” to = Normal.

Shazan ...

Memory Voltage stabilized in 2.25v just like EPP Mushkin profiles determines and running at 1066Mhz. Remaining the Memtest86+ errors but working according default mode after a long time. So I “push” the:

“Performance Enhance” to [Turbo] and then [Extreme] and the voltages remains at 2.25v in all situations changing only the “Static tRead Values” between [7], [6] and [5] respectively.

Then, left me to adjust my CPU Host Frequency and so I did following changes:

Robust Graphics Booster_________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ________________ [9.0]
    Fine Clock Ratio ________________ [0.5]
    CPU Frequency _________________ [3.16GHz (333x9.5)]
    CPU Host Clock Control__________ [Disabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)________ [333]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    Performance Enhance __________ [Standart]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)__ [2.4]
    Memory Frequency(MHz) __ 800 __ [800]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_ SPD ____ [Auto]

CAS Latency Time____________ 5 __ [Auto]
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay____ 5 __ [Auto]
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay__ 5 __ [Auto]
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)_______ 18 _ [Auto]

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)____ 3 __ [Auto]
    Rank Write to READ Delay___ 3 __ [Auto]
    Write to Precharge Delay___ 6 __ [Auto]
    Refresh to ACT Delay_______ 42 _ [Auto}
    Read to Precharge Delay___ 3 __ [Auto]
    Static tRead Value_________ 7 __ [Auto]
    Static tRead Phase Adjust__ 0 __ [Auto]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [Normal]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [Normal]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [Normal]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [Normal]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [Normal]
    Normal CPU Vcore _________ [1.15000v]

And everything is fine, working without errors at 1,98v over DDR2.

Then I changed:

Performance Enhance __________ [Turbo]
    ( Static tRead Value_________ 6 __ [Auto] )

And, once again everything working at 1,98v memory voltage. So, I changed to:

Performance Enhance __________ [Extreme]
    ( Static tRead Value_________ 5 __ [Auto] )

And finally it gets back to DDR2 Voltage = 2,25v.

It seemed to me that “Performance Enhance” sets like this:

- Standart -> Do the “mobo” best safe configurations
    - Turbo -> Do the “mobo” optimal configurations
    - Extreme -> Reads SPD and apply EPP Profiles (if available)

Then I changed the System Memory Multiplier (SPD)__ [3.2] and confirmed my thoughts. Memory runned at 1066mhz and 2.25v again. Just like it should be working for 14 months ago before frying memory sticks.

Believe or not, I guess this is the “Performance Enhance” that modifies Memory Voltages and “Static tRead Values” if "Auto/Normal" is adjusted.

Now I’m experiencing some Memtest86+ errors. But now I’m more confortable because of overvoltage. I’ll have to find timings that could be able to run without errors or, underclock it again.

But finally it seems like I’ll starts to look for my best OC settings.

I really consider very important to register this case once I’ve read there are many others GA-P35 customers that are experiencing memory voltages issues and incompatibilities. Here’s some informations that doesn’t is mentioned at Manuals and, perhaps, can help other people who like me are feeling disappointment with Gigabyte’s support.

I really also thanks to “Lsdmeasap” and “SVCGlobal” for considerations and, if you want to help me OC’ing my PC ... let’s go ...

Best Regards.

Marco.

Lsdmeasap,

Just to respond your last question:

Yes, I've already tested each one stick running on "full default mode" and everything runs OK (without errors) since I configure manually tha DDR2 Overvoltage Control to = [0.3v] (2,24v).

I also did test using sticks pairs to see if "Dual Channel" could be make some difference and nothing.

I did, including, test with three sticks only and the PC runned in Dual Channel "Extended" (I guess) fine too.

The problem occurs when you try to use all 4 sticks together.

Now, that I already know how to control DDR2 voltages, I'll try the (G)MCH Overvoltage = [0.3V] (as you suggested), but I guess I'm going to OC'ing now once the DDR2 voltages issues are solved (at least to me).

Regards.

Marco.

Nice to hear you have made some of your own progress and findings. As for your errors that is likely due to to low of a static tRead and Auto for all those timings, as well as possible MCH voltage for sure needed.

Let us know how your testing goes.

Great job marco_ar, please follow the Lsdmeasap suggestions about memories timing. He have a great talent in overclocking and Gigabyte boards!

Just for clarify things, remember that MCH, FSB and PCI-E voltages are increased by Performance Enhance (PE) like the memory voltage.
    You can't monitor these by software (can't recall if Everest is able to do) but looking at the MCH North Bridge (system) temperature, it is easy to detect that. Usually it goes 1 or 2 degrees higher for each PE step.
    GA-Z97-D3H Windows Pro 8.1
    i5-4690K + Corsair H90
    Sapphire Radeon R7 240
    16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz PC3 19200
    Corsair CX750M
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500 GB

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

Na, ET and everest do not pick up those voltages except in P45 boards. I do advise standard for performance enhance and setting things yourself for sure to avoid that guesswork

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information