Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GA-P35C-DS3R Memory & OCing problems!!!

Default Re: GA-P35C-DS3R Memory & OCing problems!!!

Hello Guys,

Yesterday I guess I was some glad and in a hurry because I'd just discovered how "Performance Enhance" affect Memory Voltage Control. Nothing else.

But, actually, still remains the overvoltage issue using:

- Perfomance Enhance ........... [Standart] or [Turbo]
    - DDR2 Overvoltage Control ..... [Normal]

or,

Why 1.80v added with +0.40v is equal to 2.384v on Gygabyte's motherboards?

Because using like this the mobo pushes DDR2 voltage between 2.384 and 2.400v and it fries my sticks. And, if the BIOS Default is called by any system fail (what's common in OC'ing enviroment), I'm still putting my sticks in a danger.

Lsdmeasap, I understood that you have some Gigabyte Support contacts? Am I right? I'm asking because of looks like 'OK' Performance Enhance changes some "mobo" controllers. But it still remains pushing DDR2 voltages to higher values then what is specified by JEDEC's or EPP's profiles recorded at sticks. Is Gigabyte concerned about this mistake??? What about (G)MCH and FSB Overvoltage? Is it safe enough in any case?

Just to show what I'm saying ... using System Multiplier Memory (SPD) = [Auto] or [3.20] I configured Memory Timing twice as "Auto Mode" determines using Standart Performance Enhance and the mobo still keeps DDR2 Voltage at 2.384v. The same using Turbo Performance Mode. The only way to make it works at 2.250v is using Extreme Performance Enhance or setting manually the DDR2 Overvoltage to = [+0.3v] to get near (2.24v).

So, it's clear for me that BIOS memory automatic overvoltage settings, using [Standart] and [Turbo] mode, disregards SPD's specifications that is what makes the warranties and peripherals working. Once sticks has JEDEC's #1, #2 and EPP profiles recorded and available to BIOS reading, why do not consider these specifications or limitations at [Normal] mode?!?!?!? Like in old fashioned mode where if I'll OC'ing (by my own risks) I'll determine which risks I'm able to assume?!?!?!

I'll insist to say that I have spent almost US$ 600.00 buying new memories sticks because of this insane automatic BIOS Overvoltage. While reading, in anothers posts, Janus saying that was only a minor issue caused by Everest that freezes one of the mobo's sensor?!?!?!?! Is it a joke??? If it is ... it's a really bad one!!!

So, I'd like to say to Gigabyte's people, while programming new BIOS versions, to consider there are other components on the PC that make it works. And the memory manufacturers already knows that and record in their sticks some SPD specifications to make possible Motherboards and Memories to work together.

But, going back to my OC'ing plans ... Do you guess which overvoltage I'll have to set MCH and FSB mobo to work fine with these memories running at @1000Mhz or 1066Mhz? +0.2v? Is 0.3v too high to be safe?

I already have installed two 4x4cm fans on the original MCH heatsink running at 3400RPM.

(PS. I'm curious but I'm getting better and faster results running memories at 1000Mhz[w/o errors] than 1066mhz[w errors] changing only the Static tRead Values)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Just set it lower if it is too much, very easy to do. Yes, all boards/BIOS revisions things will be slightly off or different. Use +.3 or +.35

Yes anything but Standard will disregard EPP profiles and possibly many other settings you manually set. So that is why it is suggested to use Standard for that setting and set things yourself. There will be much less guesswork

For your MCH I would set +.2 -.25 -.3 for 2x2GB

FSB you can set +0.1 for stability if you like, but more would likely not be needed until 475+ FSB

I use everest without issues on many Gigabyte boards, so not sure what you or Janus meant there, nor do I know which thread you are talking about?

Ya, Static Tread has a large impact on performance at any speed, to low will cause errors at higher speeds for sure

Hi Lsdmeasap,

Thanks for your regards. But I guess I's not clear at my last post.

What I'm trying to tell is any P35 BIOS (at least for my GA-P35C-DS3R - rev2.0) will fry my my memories sticks if I configure the:

>>> Perfornace Enhance ............ [Standart] or [Turbo]
    >>> DDR2 Overvoltage Control .... [Normal] or [0.4v] to Mushkin's 996535.

Just because Gigabyte solved to make it disregards any JEDEC's or EPP's profiles recorded at memories sticks.

The only way you have to make BIOS read parts of the EPP's profiles is:

>>> Performance Enhance ............ [Extreme]

So, what about JEDEC's profiles? And if I want to run my memories at 5-5-5-18 - 800Mhz - 1.8v (as JEDEC #2 recorded at my sticks)?

Please, pay attention, my GA-P35C-DS3R (and I believe most of than) simply disregards one of most important JEDEC's/EPP's information - the voltage - adjusting it automaticaly to insane values.

Insanity i do also guess when you try to use "DDR2 Overvoltage Control" that seems not able to add 0.4v to 1.8v and give just 2.2v to my memories. BIOS's insist to offering "only" 2.384v and frying who is in their way!!!

Could it be correct??? Simply to ignore the JEDEC's and EPP's profiles??? Frying warranties and memories sticks???

I guess would be (at least) more honest if they let the user decides which risks he/she is able to assume or not!!!

That's why I asked you about a safe overvoltage to MCH and FSB. One mobo that was programmed by people who don't care about their customers, I won't be surprised if it simply fries the NB, SB and whatever.

About the supposed "Everest issues" ... I've never said that Everest causes issues on Gigabyte's Motherboards. Who told it was Janus to "MrFatBoy" using these words:

" Just get answer

This issue is caused by Everest.
    It looks Everest violates some ITE8718 settings and causes the sensing of all voltages frozen.This violation causes you have to do power-off cycles to recover the sensor.

He said it to MrFatBoy" in 09-21-2007 (more than a year ago) trying to transfer Gigabyte's responsability to Lavalys people when they were talking about "Memories Voltages Issues" on a P35C-DS3R. The exactly same problem that I have and never been solved by anyone!!! What a bad joke ...

So, what I really wants from Gigabyte, while I don't save money enough to buy from any other manufacturer a new (and real) "mobo" is a BIOS able to make simple "add" calculations (just like 1.8 + 0.4 = 2.2) and one (BIOS) that knows how to read, for example, some SPD specifications. In another words ... one that respect me like a customers!

Finally, once again I thank you for your thoughts, regards and time spent. I guess Gigabyte are needing people like you to offer their support.

Best regards.

Marco.

(PS: I'm done with all of this ( ... ). Forgetting Gigabyte's garbage from now to eternity ...)

EPP is for Nvidia Boards only is what you are overlooking. Auto in a Intel board (Except XMP Sticks) will set whatever the board decides to use. Not the EPP and that is a Nvidia based design. And depending on what speed you are running your board will set higher voltages if you do not set it yourself

Which is why you should use standard and set your own voltages, if 0.xV is too high set the next lower one. Use .3 or .35 if .4 is too much. They DO NOT have to have specifically what they are warrantied for to work (The voltage on the sticker is Max warrantied, not what is needed to run)

Sorry to hear you feel this way about Gigabyte, and sorry I could not help more. Just please for your Ram's sake set your own settings and use standard Performance enhance

Well,

Finally I got my 996535 Mushkin's working with no errors at @1066Mhz (5-5-4-12) with only 2.1V. I bought an Asus P5Q-E. Running some overclock tests this was able to run memories at @1111Mhz and @1200Mhz with a few manual changes at BIOS.

Right now I'm running my E8500 at @3.8Ghz (FSB 400Mhz) and memories at @1200Mhz (5-5-5-15) with 2.24v.

Actually I changed the "mobo" just because the GA-P35C-DS3R stops to POST. I was following some LSDMEASAP tips and when I changed the Static tRead Value to "12" the mobo died. It only starts the Fans and so it turns off and turns on again in an endless loop. I'm completely sure was not faulty from LSDMEASAP. The faulty was mine because bought a Gigabyte's "mobo".

So, after 14 months I lost 6 sticks memories and 1 "mobo". Almost US$ 800.00 trusting in Gigabyte's poducts. Never more will buy Gigabyte again.

Best regards

Marco.

Quote Originally Posted by marco_ar View Post
    Well,
    Right now I'm running my E8500 at @3.8Ghz (FSB 400Mhz) and memories at @1200Mhz (5-5-5-15) with 2.24v.

So, after 14 months I lost 6 sticks memories and 1 "mobo". Almost US$ 800.00 trusting in Gigabyte's poducts. Never more will buy Gigabyte again.
    Always amazes me when people blame the hardware, when they run it out of specification.

Overclocking is "at your own risk" - it's not guaranteed. In fact Intel's own motherboards hadn't had any overclocking features for many years. I believe they may have changed that now, albeit in a limited way.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Hi VorLonUK,

You're completely right. OCing is "at your own risk". But, I never could OC my setup because Gigabyte's poor quality.

During time that I used a GA-P35C-DS3R I just was able to "downclock" memories settings. And because of Gigabyte's BIOS this motherboard fried a lot os sticks pushing DDR2 voltages to insane 2.384v.

So, I have to loose this "board" (and some memory sticks) to get the "OC" I planned 14 months ago.

That's why I'm telling: - "Gigabyte? Never more!".

Regards.

Endless loop could have been easily fixed by either Clearing your CMOS or Blind flashing the BIOS with a floppy

Good luck with whatever you decide to get, and sorry that you have lost your Faith IN Gigabyte

Happy new year to everybody.

Hi LSDMEASAP,

Nice to hear from you again. I left the GA-P35C-DS3R three days without battery to be sure the CMOS was cleared. But, when I tried to starts the "mobo" it remains in their endless loop. It starts CPU Fan and turns itself off to turn on over and over again. If I put a jumper at Reset CMOS pins, it don't restarts, but no other activity occurs. No POST, no beeps, no video signal ... Completely dead.

But, what makes me really upset was Brazilian Gigabyte's people. They said me (with or without warranty) that I'll need a USA or Taiwan Gigabyte's express authorization to fix my mobo just because it was not bought here in Brazil??? It's a big nonsense once Gigabyte is a worldwide company (or not?).

So, tell me you if you won't loose your faith in a Company that disregards their own customers? Off course I would like the mobo working to (at least) try to sell them to minimize my losses.

Best regards.

Marco

Quote Originally Posted by marco_ar View Post
    Hello all,

I'm experience a lot of problems with my GA-P35C-DS3R to make it works with my Mushkin sets (2 x 996535 - 4x1GB 1066mhz). I saw there are members telling about Mushkins are one of better choices to work with GA-P35C-DS3R but, all I got last 16 months, was problems. It works fine only for 3 or 4 weeks. And then the DDR2 voltage got crazy and starts to rise de voltage to 2,38V (with "auto" chipset). So, after it burn all my vendor stock of Mushkin's 996535 sets, I decided to manually set the DDR2 voltage to "+0,3" (1,8v + 0,3v = 2,1v --- OK???) No, not for GA-P35C-DS3R that rises voltage to 2,24V with +0,3v increment?!?!?!? For me ... 2,24v - 1,8v = 0,44v. And 2,38v - 1,8v = 0,58v. That's why so many memory sticks was burned by the Mobo. (And believe me, here in Brazil each Mushkin 996535 set costs about US$ 200.00/220.00. Gigabyte's people have to tought about refunds me and all others customers that trusted in their products and cannot get it working as it should be).

Well, because of this 16 months, I saw (using Everest, Memset, etc...) that GA-P35C-DS3R cannot read right SPD specifications in "auto" mode. And, there's a lot of memory configurations that are not available to users manually sets. What it means ??? After BIOS got crazy and burned a lot of memory sticks, it never more was able to run these memory set at 1066mhz properly. Sometimes do not boot, and, when it's possible, almost all of HD recorded file are corrupted. But, at this whole of time (16 months) I found a "stange" memory setup that works (at 1000mhz) in a decent speed:

So, I don't know why, it's working (8300mb/s read memory Everest test - 7100mb/s write test and 7400mb/s at cpy test. And without failures using Memtest86 2.01). That was the best setup I got. Actually I'm using a mix of SPD specifications of 533mhz and 266mhz. (And it works?!?!?!)

But, if I intend to use my PC as it should be, forget ... ... it's not possible?!?!?!? Originally the Mobo came with F2 bios version and I already tried with F4, F6, F8, F9, F10, F11e, F11 and F12b. There's no way to get it working in default mode.

And, just to be sure about poor quality of this mobo, I've tried to put it working with 400mhz FSB (E8500 runing at @3,8ghz). Guys, another idea that's not possible using Gigabyte's mobos. Even using the configurations suggested by "Lsdmeasap" in another thread. It boots and it's all. Nothing else works.

Finally, my question to Gigabyte's people is: Once you have a lot of time to receive customers appointments about improper functions of this mobo and after 12 Bios versions, are you planning to make this mobo to work as it should be working??? Or, are you planning to kick (...) every customers to buy next mobo from another vendor (eg. Asus)?

Sorry guys but I'm really disappointed with this mobo and answers from a supposed Gigabyte's guy called "Janus" in this forum. Specially about DDR2 voltage issues that makes me spent a lot of money buying new memory sticks and he keeps saying this is only a problem caused by Everest that freezes a sensor. But +0,58V burned my memories without warranty because of the overvoltage.

(Can someone tell me why do I have to overvoltage my MCH if I'm using more than one memory stick? Or why it should be rised to +0.1/0.2v if using 2x2Gb? And for those who are using 4x1gb? Must rise the MCH to +0.4V???)
    Your not the only one my friend. Have the same motherboard as you but different RAM. This motherboard is crap! am sorry but that's the truth and no support from Gigabyte makes it even worse. A nice member on the forum LSD have been helping me to try get my RAM running at 1066Mhz and I've tried his settings but they don't work. I've tried all combination's I can think of but it keeps failing always at the same spot (see picture)

And yeah, +3v on this mobbo gives about 2,24V with or WITHOUT performance enhancement
    Attached Images Attached Images GA-P35C-DS3R Memory & OCing problems!!!-oc-settings-3-3ghz-1066mhz-jpg 
    Last edited by Blackkatt; 01-04-2009 at 09:31 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information