Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't write DVD with EP45-UD3R

Default Re: Can't write DVD with EP45-UD3R

Lsdmeasap:
    I can't do what you suggest on the EP45-UD3R. The advanced BIOS page lists my 4 HDs as far as the boot priorities go. Since all 4 HDs are present, I can move them up/down to setup which HD I want to boot from. However, if I set the IDE channels to NONE (and as you suggested I've tried this), then at next reboot if I go into the BIOS there will be no HDs listed in the advanced BIOS page, and I cannot add HDs to specify which to boot from. In other words, I cannot set the IDE channels to NONE and still boot. At least if you are using none Raid setup. But then again, this really doesn't bother me since I am perfectly happy with my drives being in IDE mode (or whatever).

jedyed:
    I'd be curious if you'd try the ImgBurn program. As Lsdmeasap suggested I did try Nero and that failed the burning as well. So I can only burn (so far) using ImgBurn. It seems to be a pretty nice program with a lot of options and only 5 star ratings and best of all it's free. I'm curious if that would work on yours, too.

pentool

Hi.
    Have tried your suggestion of ImgBurn and guess what, yes, I was able to burn a audio cd with this programme. Yippee! In fact I was impressed how easy it was once I'd set the options up.

Now when ImgBurn saw the drive it said at the end of the hardware name 'Raid' so that got me thinking if i've got the Bios Raid options wrong which would cause the other 'burning' software to fail. Still looking into this.

Anyone have further ideas?
    regards

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Hmm well that is very odd for sure! Maybe because you initially installed that way? I know I have setup a System without RAID and still done the same, chose my drive order and it booted fine.

It is ok though as I do not think that is anything to do with your issue with your burning of CD/DVD's anyway. Sounds to me just like some software issue or incompatibility with the drive/drives you have? I use Nero and a few other burning apps which pull and use nero's interface at burn time and have no issues. The drives I use are IDE and SATA Asus lightscribe drives (They are QUIET)

Since you are using XP, I would advise you try the older 6.1 Nero it is MUCH Better then the new versions and I would be using it if Vista allowed it to work! I often burn in XP in Vmware just so I can use it

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Hmm well that is very odd for sure! Maybe because you initially installed that way?
    Well, I am not sure how else to "install" it, other then pull the SATA cables out from the old board, and plug them back in into the new board. That's all there was to it.

When I was using the drives on the ASUS/AMD board I didn't have this. The drives showed up as SATA at the POST listings. I guess I should've went with an ASUS/AMD board again. But the intel quads were faster.

Anyhow. No worries, since I read that IDE and SATA won't make pretty much any difference speed-wise (unless you have RAID).

I put in a support question about the DVD burning with Gigabyte. Will see if they have anything to say about it.

Thanks for your help!

Ummm ....I'm stepping in here because I have no idea how much experience you have and I'm going to ask a real silly question. Please don't be offended if the answer is "of course". You mention simply unplugging SATA drives from one board and plugging them into another ..... Did you reinstall Windows?
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Yes of course. A complete reformat and install. It was indeed a silly question :-)

...and I even formatted the drive using NTFS :-)
    Last edited by pentool; 11-18-2008 at 03:45 AM.

I was about to ask the very same, so not a silly question. The way he said that had me worried as well.

Well Pentool, all of this I know has nothing to do with your issue. I am not really sure other then it has to be a software issue or a partial incompatibility with the drives you are trying?

What I mean by "Install it" was set things the way I mentioned before you installed your system, but like I said that is for sure likely nothing to do with the issue you are having

Have you tried a different IDE cable? Sometimes they are faulty...

Maybe you will just have to try returning the new drive you bought and get a SATA model and see how that goes?

Sorry, I am not sure what else to suggest to try to help you get this solved

Well, I have xchanged a few emails with Giga tech support and needless to say they were clueless as well. Finally, today I have succesfully eliminated the issue.

The prollem was that if I use the install CD provided by Giga, and use the default installation that they recommend, it will install a tool named "Gigabyte Raid Configurator" - or something along that line.

Of course if I run this tool nothing will happen because the program reports that no raid setup was detected. DUH! Of course not! Then why the hell Giga includes this in the default installation!? Anyhow.

I don't and never had a raid setup and didn't configure or select anything by that nature. This tool is just simply installed by default. Uninstalling this program will solve all the DVD burning issues.

When I was burning with ImgBurn, it displayed the full name of my DVD writer and next to the name in parenthesis it said (RAID). This got me suspicious. Why the hell is it displaying RAID when I don't have one configured? That lead to the discovery.

So I am happy now. Thanks for everyone for the help!

You'll have to disable RAID in your mobo bios which is why in IMGBURN it showed the (RAID). Also it depends on the brand of dvd media that you're using to burn. Cheap dvd media like Memorex and TDK are considered low grade media. Use IMGBURN to burn dvd media and buy Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden dvd media.

Great to see you figured that out!!!!

Always download your own drivers online as the CD normally has older versions, this way you only install what you need and want to

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information