Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't write DVD with EP45-UD3R

Default Can't write DVD with EP45-UD3R

Hello,

So I've upgraded from an ASUS AMD board dual-core config to this new Gigabyte board with an Intel quad-core. It's ok. The ASUS/AMD board I was using it for 2.5+ years without any problems.

I have this NEC ND-3550A DVD-RW drive (2.5 years old) and turns out it cannot burn using this Gigabyte mobo. The drive reads DVDs and CDs fine, never had an issue while using it with the ASUS board.

First I thought there might be an issue with the software for whatever reason (Ashampoo Burning Studio 8), but I've been using the software for almost a year without glitches. So just to double check, I've downloaded Cheetah DVD burner. Well, that didn't write the media either.

Ok. So it must be the drive then. Since I don't have another box or drive to test, today I went out and got an LG DVD writer. That doesn't write either. It reads, but don't write.

So, it cannot be the DVD drive because I don't believe 2 drives would not work (1 old and 1 new). Never had a problem with the software, I don't see why would the software decided not to like the Gigabyte board, so I rule that one out, too.

So something else is missing, but what could that be?

I am running WinXP Pro SP2 32bit.
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3R

The DVD drive is connected on the 4th PCI channel as a master (ATAPI connector or what the heck they call that long ribbon cable). The first 4 normal SATA connectors are in use by my 4 HDs.

No RAID. No overclocking just the stock everyhting.

I found a thread where someone had burning problmes on Vista64, but turned out I think it was a media issue. I have used the same media a lot with the older drive (the NEC ND-3550A) without issue.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

=LES=

PS: The media is a SONY 16x DVD-R and TDK 16x DVD-R. Regularly buying them in the past. They always worked great in my NEC drive before.
    Last edited by pentool; 11-16-2008 at 10:25 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Can't write DVD with EP45-UD3R

What port color do you have it connected to? And what settings do you have set in integrated Peripherals BIOS page?

Post a pic of this page and your Standard CMOS Features page as well please. There is separate BIOS settings for each controller so I just wanted to see what you have set for what.

And what do you mean by 4th PCI channel? I get what you mean by IDE Ribbon cable, but your PCI Channel comment just throws me off

Do you have the latest Intel Chipset driver package installed? If not, please also install that. They are universal Packages 32/64 multi OS, here is where I get mine at >>>>
    http://www.station-drivers.com/telec...ivers.com).exe

I have it connected to the 40 pin IDE connector. There's only 1 of it (the long 40 pin ribbon cable). I did not tinker with the BIOS much so it has mostly the standard values. Since I am not a tweaker, I am usually satisfied with the standard values. Here's a screenshot:

The 4th PCI channel means, that is what I see at the listing at POST. See screenshot here:

Thanks, I've downloaded the "latest" chipset drivers. Originally I installed what comes with the Gigabyte CD. However, nothing was installed. Apparently I already got the latest drivers.

However, I was able to get the DVD to write, using the new LG writer and the ImgBurn software. Apparently that's the only software (out of the 3 I tried) that it burns discs with. Oddly, it takes 7:30 minutes to write a full DVD (4.5G). Before it only took about 6.

I suppose you've checked the jumpering on the optical drive?

Make sure it's actually jumpered as master and on the end of the cable.

If that isn't the problem, try jumpering for 'cable select' and see if that works. Also make sure you're using an 80-way cable (might make a difference...)
    Last edited by Idle; 11-17-2008 at 12:11 PM. Reason: further thought

You should have all your SATA Drives set to None and then Auto on the inside in the above image on the Standard CMOS Features page. I dont think this has anything to do with your issue, but just wanted to let you know. All you should have there is your CD/DVD drive like so >>>

Do you have all windows updates installed, even the optional ones like .Net?

What settings do you have set on that Page for your CD player, inside the selection?

I can't set the SATA drives to NONE in the IDE channels, because my system will not boot, since it will not find any drives. This is how they defaulted from the very beginning. (I did set them to NONE though, that is how I found out that the system won't boot.)

I have not modified my BIOS since I am not a tweaker, so all my BIOS settings are at default - aside from I disabled the startup/boot logo screen, and setting the correct clock (time/date) when I put together my system.

Yes, I do have all my latest WinXP updates installed including .NET2 and 3 and their patches/updates as well.

Inside the "IDE channel 4 Master" (for my DVD drive) there are 2 settings:
    "Extended IDE Drive" and "Acces Mode". Both set to auto.

I might call/email gigabyte tech support tomorrow see what they have to say - if anything. Thanks for the troubleshooting tips so far!
    Last edited by pentool; 11-17-2008 at 03:05 PM.

Sure it will! That image is from my system with 3 SATA Drives (2 in raid 0) and as you can see I just took it a week or so agao.

What you need to do after you set that is go to advanced BIOS page and go into Boot device Priority and choose your OS drive and move that to the very top

But it all could be just the software you are using, I see you got one to work. I only use Nero so I could not say if anything else works that I have tried. Have you tried nero? They do have a trail if you want a link let me know

What are the dis/advantages of setting the IDE channels to NONE as opposed to having it auto detect the HDs?

You are using SATA so IDE settings do not apply anyway, that's why NONE and then Auto or NON inside is best.

I dont know advantages or disadvantages nor do I think it is part of your issue, just thought I would tell you that is how I always setup Boards and how I think it should be done unless you have issues otherwise

Not sure whether to start new thread as I have the EP45-UD3 motherboard, so will post here first.

I'm having the same problem of writing a CD/DVD using my Sony DVD RW-AW G170A. All settings appear to be correct, using latest bios F4 and latest chipset drivers. I've tried three different burning software programs, all failed to write correctly.

The drive is reading discs ok.

Like the original poster stated; I have always left my setting on the Standard bios page to auto for the hard drives (never knowing I could change them to None and still get the machine to boot, I can understand what has been said regard this, but never had problem before on previous board P35-DS3R when set to auto).

Any suggestions more than welcome.
    regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information