Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GA-EP45-UD3R - cannot boot from USB Flash Drive

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-EP45-UD3R - cannot boot from USB Flash Drive

Ahh ok! Sorry I missed that I guess!

You can check with Everest Ultimate in Storage, ATA Section. Or you can just see if your drives are removable. Click the safely remove icon and if you can remove your drives then it is enabled. Should be anyway since you installed with the driver and have AHCI enabled in the BIOS

You may also check with intel Matrix Storage Manager (And yes you can stop it from startup ask me how if you cannot get it stopped) >>>
    Download Search Results

But you will not need to do all that >>>

How do I enable NCQ?

Native Command Queuing is enabled at the firmware level of the hard drive and cannot be altered by the end user, which means you have support as long as all the other requirements are met. If all requirements are not met, NCQ will not be utilized.
    SysOpt Forums - View Single Post - NCQ Enabled

Also see here
    Answer

And here
    How do I disable NCQ (Native Command Queuing) on my SATA hard drive?

Answer

Serial ATA hard drives have NCQ enabled by default and are not capable of being rendered disabled. In order to disable NCQ you must disable NCQ on the host controller that the drive is plugged into. This can be in the form of a BIOS or driver setting, or a different revision of driver for your SATA host controller.
    Answer

So you are good to go, whether you can find it or not. But Matrix software will show you, as will everest and SiSandra and PC wizard (Freeware)

Default Sis Sandra indicates NCQ is active

[quote=Lsdmeasap;269606]Ahh ok! Sorry I missed that I guess!

You can check with Everest Ultimate in Storage, ATA Section. Or you can just see if your drives are removable. Click the safely remove icon and if you can remove your drives then it is enabled. Should be anyway since you installed with the driver and have AHCI enabled in the BIOS

You may also check with intel Matrix Storage Manager (And yes you can stop it from startup ask me how if you cannot get it stopped) >>>
    quote]

thanks for the info, i can see in SiS Sandra that NCQ is enabled on all of my drives (incuding optiarc burner) - hadn't installed that or many other apps yet (new build), was just used to seeing the info in Device Manager on the NForce boards.

Oddly enough though, even though Sandra shows SATA 300, NCQ for all drives - they do not appear under "safely remove devices" - only flash drives appear there. wish i had more time to continue my setup (gotta work though), so far so good though.

thanks again Lsdmeasp

Hmm, well that is odd. You sure your drives actually support it?

Maybe your slipstream actually installed two drivers and they conflict?

Post Re: GA-EP45-UD3R - cannot boot from USB Flash Drive

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Hmm, well that is odd. You sure your drives actually support it?

Maybe your slipstream actually installed two drivers and they conflict?
    NCQ is def supported (very popular WD and Seagate drives) and all of the apps (Sandra, Everest, Intel Stor Mgr) show so.

However these all just show that the DRIVES support NCQ - they don't show that it's def enabled and working (ie - all drivers are setup correctly and it's actually fully working, they just show that the drive supports NCQ and it's enabled via the drive's firmware) - any way to tell if it's NCQ capable and def working?

Performance is great (HD Tach, Crystal Disk Mark, HD Tune) and few apps are written to take advantage of NCQ anyway (better suited for server use - multi-threaded access) & I don't need to remove my drives, so no huge deal if it's not actually fully working I guess anyway really though.

thanks for your info

Default sum up the whole NCQ Intel deal

basically i just wanted to see where in Device Manager that I could enable / disable NCQ for each hard drive.

with NForce boards, this is done in Device Manager (open the controller's properties) , it's not the case with Intel based boards

From research, the only way to disable NCQ is to set your controller to IDE mode in the BIOS - otherwise since NCQ is enabled on nearly all drives in their firmware by default, NCQ will be enabled automatically (when native sata / ahci is enabled in the BIOS, there's no place in Device Manger to enabled / disabled NCQ in Device Manager).

I'm using the latest driver from Intel (AHCI) that was avail when I slipstreamed my XP install 8.6.0.2007 (Sept 2008) - taken from the Intel site (later drivers than avail on the Giga site <8.5.x.x) .

---------------------------------
    Here's some more info for anyone else interested in this (there are lots of questions out there - asking about the same thing, I like the NForce chipset settings in Device Manager, apparently so do others:

To disable NCQ your drives must be in AHCI (native SATA) mode. You then need to go into your BIOS, change your SATA mode to [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]IDE[/COLOR][/COLOR].

If you are already in IDE mode, you must change to AHCI mode in the BIOS, and then reinstall Windows.

TIPS on how NOT to reinstall windows after making the above changes that I found:

You do not need to reinstall windows if your board has another HDD controller. If you have 2 [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]SATA [COLOR=blue! important]controllers[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] (like the INtel and a Silicon Image) and 2 drives do the following.

Attach your secondary drive to the SI controller, leave the boot on the Intel controller set to IDE.

Boot into windows, and when prompted install the Silicon Image SATA drivers and shut down. Now, move the boot drive to the SI controller and the second drive to the intel controller. Set the Intel controller to AHCI mode in the bios and make sure the boot order is set to boot from the boot drive which is now on the SI controller.

Boot into Windows, and install the Intel AHCI SATA drivers (you can get the on the INtel website).

Shut down, and put the boot drive on the INtel controller with the second drive, and leave it set to AHCI. It will boot and all will be happy.

You will notice a speed increase for sure.

Keep in mind that if you want to use Ghost, or access the drives from DOS you will have to switch back to IDE mode on the SATA controller. You can switch back and forth as you desire with no consequences.

Can you safely remove the drives?

I think it is a vista driver issue, you can try this >>
    http://mysite.verizon.net/kaakoon/hotswap/index_enu.htm
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-07-2008 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Like I said, choose Hard drive at the F12 boot screen then as long as you have your USB Stick plugged in when you reboot and Legacy USB Enabled you will see your USB Stick on the next screen after you choose hard drive.

Boot device order or priority page has nothing to do with this.

You will see your USB stick by name or by actual chips name on the USB Device.

Are you still having a issue? I can post image for you if you like
    I know this is an old post but I cannot thank you enough for this valuable tip, I spent all day Sunday trying to clean install windows 10 using a USB drive on a GA-EP45-UD3P and this was the solution.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________

• Power Supply: Corsair HX750
    • Mainboard: GA-Z87X-UD5H (F10 BIOS)
    • Processor: i7-4790K
    • HSF: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
    • Physical Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (F3-2133C11D-16GXL)
    • Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti
    • Case: NZXT Phantom410
    • Monitor: Dell 2209w
    • Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Speakers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information