Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GA-EP45-DS3R hangs at boot up screen

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-EP45-DS3R hangs at boot up screen

Well some drives need setup as a OS drive (This means set active and primary/bootable) since you had the other drive as storage it is likely not setup for a OS install

So you would need to load a driver, and likely run the manufacturer tools on it to set it up as such. For seagate this is DiscWizard, and can be ran in windows on another PC with your disk connected to it >>>
    Seagate Technology - DiscWizard

Once installed you may also use the program to make a bootable CD ISO disk to run the tools in DOS on your PC with the drive connected and set up the drive for use as a OS disk and not storage.

You may also use this tool to test each disk, as I would not imagine both to be faulty at the same time either. Maybe neither is bad? >>>
    Seagate Technology - SeaTools

You can also run thru these troubleshooter's to see if they can help you (Choose drive not detected then choose the third link down (For troubleshooting a bootable, or primary, drive that once functioned correctly but now is no longer detected.) >>>
    Seagate Technology - Serial ATA (SATA) Troubleshooter

Keep in mind, if you cannot RMA the drives to place of purchase Seagate has 5 year warranty and they do advanced replacements as well >>>
    Seagate Technology - Warranty and Returns Assistance

Thanks for looking into this. I'm aware of Seagate's warranty. I'm just not comfortable with sending them a drive with over 300 gigs of presumably loss data, which includes my personal info in it. You'll never know what they'll do with that info once they recovered the drive. This is one item that I'd hesitate to RMA...I'd rather buy a new drive before I do that.
    I'd got good news, though. I'm able to recover all the data in the storage drive with a third party software. I'm still not able to access the OS drive at this point...it freezes my other PC during boot up when I have it plugged in. I just ordered a USB/SATA adaptor kit to see if I'm going to have any luck accessing it as an external drive.
    Once I had everything backed up, I'm going to format the storage drive and see if Vista would install on it or not.
    It'll take me a while before I could sort out this mess. I'll let you know when there's news. Thank you for your efforts in trying to help. I really appreciate it. Have a nice Thanksgiving.

Ya, sadly your DATA would be lost. You could Zero the drive out before you sent it in if you wanted to, this way your data would be gone at least.

If you use a program like this to DoD wipe the drive such as Killdisk, you will HAVE to use a program like I mentioned above to set it active and primary/bootable afterwards as these types of programs wipe the MBR and set the drive inactive

Good luck with your testing and formatting, and you have a happy turkey day as well

Well, it turned out that OS drive has gone bad. I finally got my new 1TB drive a week ago. I popped it in all by itself and everything went smoothly. I installed Vista without problems and I was able to recover all the data in my storage drive, so I'm in good shape now.

How do you zero out a drive when you can't access to it? Any attempt to connect the bad OS drive to the GA-EP45-DS3R would render all SATA devices on the board undetectable. I tried to connect the bad OS drive to my other PC and the system wouldn't boot no matter which boot priority I set. I was able to see the bad OS drive in Disk Management when I had it connected externally via a SATA adapter, but the status of the disk was labeled as inactive. When I tried to make it active, I got an error message saying that the device is not ready. I can't use any program to zero out the drive, 'cause it just won't show up.

While I was researching about disk recovery, I found this link.

Dynamic disk suddenly offline in Windows Vista (can't reactivate) - Windows Vista Forums

Is anything true about what that guy said? I'm a bit concern now that I had the OS intalled in the 1TB drive...that's going to be a lot of data to lose.

Well, it's been about 9 months since I last had this problem. Today, my 1TB OS drive that I mentioned in the above post went out at the exact fashion like my previous OS drive. This time around I'm able to narrow it down quickly to the OS drive and went out and bought another 1TB drive for replacement and now I'm up and running again. I also learned from last time to back up my data so I'm still in good shape. It's hard to believe that both of my brand new RETAIL OS drives died so quickly while my older 500GB drive that I use for data is still going strong. I either have very bad luck with hard drives or what that guy said in the link I posted above is true.

Excessive HD failures, like you got, could also be related to power supply 12v rail out of specs. Do you have any way to measure it?
    GA-Z97-D3H Windows Pro 8.1
    i5-4690K + Corsair H90
    Sapphire Radeon R7 240
    16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz PC3 19200
    Corsair CX750M
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500 GB

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

I think I found the culprit after researching all night last night and most of today. The problem is the particular model of HD I'm using. Both failed drives are Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 drives with firmware SD15. I found an alarming amount of reports from people having the same problem I had using the 7200.11 drives...those drives tend to disappear from BIOS with no warnings. There's a thread on the official Seagate's forum called, "Epic Fail", and it's about people reporting the same problem. Even Seagate admits the problem is caused by the faulty firmware. It's strange that my oldest 500GB 7200.11 data drive is stilling running...maybe is because I'm just using it for data and not as a boot disk. Wish I found out about this sooner, 'cause this 1TB OS drive that I just bought is another Seagate...I'm screwed.

Do you need the updated firmware? It fixes the issue, Here is the page for most of the ones affected by the issue. Just select your drive and grab the firmware
    ALL FIRMWARE UPDATES - see here - Internal (ATA and Serial ATA) drives - Seagate Community Forums

You can check via Serial # from step #2 on this page to see if your drive is affected by SD15, some are not
    Seagate Knowledge Base

Thanks. My 500GB data is the affected one. I just checked this 1TB OS drive I just bought and it turned out to be the 7200.12 with firmware CC34...I just hope Seagate doesn't screw up again with this newer drive.

I still can't decide if I should've the firmware updated for my 500GB data drive, or not. I've read numerous accounts that it does work for the 1TB version, but some people have reported that the new firmware SD1A actually harms the 500GB version and makes the drive inoperable. Either way, I'm taking a chance.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information