Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: EP45-UD3R Won't Recognize DVD-RW Drive

Default EP45-UD3R Won't Recognize DVD-RW Drive

Just bought the board, installed it and was flying in a matter of minutes. However... I stumbled upon a 50% processor utilization on my Vista install, and decided to get ready for a new format and installation.

However, when I went to go through my DVD's to find my Vista disc, the DVD drive wasn't being recognized. I've got the latest drivers and BIOS, but the board still won't recognize the drive. I've set the several different SATA settings in Integrated Peripherals to various different combinations of RAID/AHCI/IDE.

I have two hard drives connected to SATA_0/1, and the DVD drive is connected via ribbon cable to the IDE port. The hard drives recognize fine, and I had used the DVD drive attached to the old motherboard less than an hour before I installed the UD3R (I'd hate for it to have killed my $150 Plextor; it's a really nice drive, and out of production sadly - slot load FTW!).

I could buy a new SATA drive, but that defeats the purpose of already having a DVD drive (plus it'd take a few days to get here; I'm not buying a $90 drive from Staples that costs $30 at Newegg).

Long story short, I would REALLY appreciate it if anyone could give me a hand troubleshooting this issue. I'm dying to see what this board can do with my E6300, but I want a clean install of Vista first!

Let me know if there is any other information that you might need. I've got tons of pictures from the build (WAS going to put together a guide to display on my clan's forums), however I don't know how much good they'd do (two pictures of the board in the case and hooked up; the rest are intervals between component installation).

Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
    Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800
    EVGA 8800GS
    SoundBlaster Audigy 4
    250GB Western Digital Caviar
    150GB Western Digital Raptor X
    Antec 900
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750w
    Plextor DVD-RW/CD-RW (that really nice and expensive slot loading model)

Please don't let me pull out anymore of my hair!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: EP45-UD3R Won't Recognize DVD-RW Drive

I use IDE drives so you should be fine, can you post a pic of your Iintegrated Peripherals BIOS page for me?

And what do you have set for the drive in standard CMOS?

Do you have the jumper on the correct spot on the drive? And the drive on the correct spot in the cable for the jumper setting set? Have you tried your old cable? Tried it all on CS (Cable Select)?

@domat00: Complementing Lsdmeasap post, is Onboard SATA/IDE controller option Enabled? If yes, try again selecting AHCI mode for that controller.
    GA-Z97-D3H Windows Pro 8.1
    i5-4690K + Corsair H90
    Sapphire Radeon R7 240
    16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz PC3 19200
    Corsair CX750M
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500 GB

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

I have solved the problem. I purchased a rounded IDE cable a few weeks ago (I have NO idea how it was working with the other mobo), and apparently it didn't come with the top notch on the drive end of the cable, nor the outed pin. I pulled the pin back out, flipped the connector and now the drive is recognized.

My bad. Thanks for the help though guys, I appreciate it!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Wow, woulda never caught that for a while likely! I would have thought maybe bad cable, but never upside down! I have not seen one that would go in that way!

Nice find, and glad to see you got it fixed and no hardware was damaged!

Thread Information