Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems Overclocking GA-P35-S3G

Default Problems Overclocking GA-P35-S3G

I recently updated my graphics card from an hd3850 to a 9800GTX+. an obvious new strain on my system is power consumption and I only have a 500w PSU.
    Before I updated my graphics card my core2duo e8200 was O/C'ed to 3.2 ghz but now when I try to change the fsb even 10 mhz, the system flashes the boot screen and restarts with stock clocks.
    The first thing that came to mind was that my graphics card was sucking the power that the CPU used to have and therefore it canot be overclocked. With this in mind I tried overclocking my cpu without changing the voltage in any way. It still would not budge. I did some more tests and while the overclocking utility is set to off I can still change the cpu voltage, ram voltage and ram frequency but as soon as i set the bios so that the FSB can be changed it doesnt work.... this is really confusing
    Is it my power that is limiting my cpu from overclocking?
    Any help would be great!

My system specs are
    e8200 @ stock
    Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G
    4 1GB sticks of OCZ platinum ram
    500W OCZ PSU

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Problems Overclocking GA-P35-S3G

Are you trying to overclock in the BIOS? I see you mention utility to overclock, I assume you mean EasyTune? If so dont use that, use the BIOS and be sure C1E and EIST are disabled, and set performance enhance to standard. Then of course you HAVE to add voltage as you overclock

Link me to your card and your PSU and I will see if it is causing a issue as well, but your main things to me sounds like you should be overclocking in the BIOS and adding voltages and you are not

ok I've done some testing since the original post. When I have my old HD3850 installed, it overclocks like it did before whereas when I have the 9800GTX+ in, it doesnt overclock.
    Sorry I didnt make it clear but yes I have been using the BIOS to overclock, i've tried changing the voltages and it doesnt make a difference, same with removing 2 sticks of ram .
    OCZ Stealth Xtream 500W PSU - 1x PCI-E 6/8pin, 2x SATA 12cm Fan - Ebuyer - PSU
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=862290&Product=512MB+XFX +9800+GTX%2b+XT%2c+PCI-E+2.0+(x16)%2c+2200MHz+GDDR3%2c+GPU+765MHz%2c+128+ Cores%2c+2x+DL+DVI-I%2f+HDTV - GFX card

Well it could be the PSU, it only has 2 12V rails at 18A each and that card may need more? Not sure, all I can find is minimum of 450W PSU but no 12V rail requirements which all cards do need a certain amount.

Can you borrow a PSU from a buddy to test, or take your card to a friends to see how it acts with a larger PSU? This would also let you see if the card is maybe faulty somehow?

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Well it could be the PSU, it only has 2 12V rails at 18A each and that card may need more? Not sure, all I can find is minimum of 450W PSU but no 12V rail requirements which all cards do need a certain amount.

Can you borrow a PSU from a buddy to test, or take your card to a friends to see how it acts with a larger PSU? This would also let you see if the card is maybe faulty somehow?
    I used my dads PSU which i think is 350W just to power my card and his cpu ( so it would keep the psu running ) and no luck. I'm quite baffled...

Another thing that I was thinking of is do I really benefit from 2.6 GHZ to 3.2GHZ? 3.6GHZ occasionally....

Ya, you do if you game, for sure. 350W PSU is worse then yours so that is really not anyway to test things though

hmmm... I just want to know if getting anew psu would resolve it, or new motherboard. ohwell... I get 40 fps on crysis very high dx9 so I don't think i really need much more :D

Have you tried setting PCI E voltage to +0.12-0.2 and MCH To +0.2-0.3? I ask this because today I installed a new card in my system and had to add PCI voltage to get it to boot thru very similar to your issue as at stock it would work, but not overclocked settings until I added more PCI / SB voltage

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Have you tried setting PCI E voltage to +0.12-0.2 and MCH To +0.2-0.3? I ask this because today I installed a new card in my system and had to add PCI voltage to get it to boot thru very similar to your issue as at stock it would work, but not overclocked settings until I added more PCI / SB voltage
    Cool I'll take a look.. I guess it would make sense

Let me know! ya, I thought of you as soon as my PC rebooted and failed to load three times with my overclock when I stuck in my new card.

Strangely I had a Sapphire X1950Pro 256MB GDDR3 which needed 30A on the 12V rail and upgraded to a Sapphire HD 3870 512MB GDDR4 Toxic which needed less amps, but it would not work at all until I added some board voltages. I guess maybe the new tech called for more power to process things.

I have a 750W with 50+ on the 12V so I knew something was up and it was not my PSU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information