Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-73PVM-S2H Vista regular Freeze/Lockup

Question GA-73PVM-S2H Vista regular Freeze/Lockup

Hi All,

I recently built the following HTPC:
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H
    CPU: Core2Duo E8400
    Video: Asus AH3650 Silent magic
    Mem: G.Skill PK 2x1024Mo PC6400 DDR2 800Mhz
    PSU: LC POWER LC6420 - 420W

The machine basically runs fine and I can casual game on it ok (eg old NFS MW etc). However it occassionally BSODs and can not run for more than 12 hours or so without locking up / completely freezeing.

The BSODs have often occured during a video prob eg when exiting MediaCenter.
    The lockup/freeze leaves the display on (eg normal display but completely frozen) with the entire machine being completely locked (no keyboard caps lock response, no mouse response etc) and occurs when the machine is completely idle.

I havent changed the BIOS version - its at F6 from 11/03/2008 (most recent is F7A - updates cpuid). I don't think this is the issue as is recent enough (I could be wrong).

The machine is not overclocked in any way - I have not significanly changed the BIOS settings.

I suspected videocard overheating (its a passively cooled card and runs hot) so I removed it and am running the machine with the onboard video card - SAME PROBLEM (well lockup persists - I havent seen a BSOD yet).

Ive run memtest86+ 2.10 for 3 cycles today and zero errors - I'll run that overnight to get a better idea (I'll update post tommorrow).

I installed SensorsView and temperatures look fine (45 < cpu < 50C, sys const @ 40 C AUX const at 34 C)

Last piece of info - Last time it froze I had left SensorView running and so its last figures were still displayed on the frozen screen. Temperatures were all normal but the AUX fan speed was showing a figure > 50,000 RPM !!! eg a complete wild value. I dont know if this is indicative of anything or not.

Any suggestions for what I can do to stablize this machine would be most welcome and appreciated. Its an HTPC so I needs it to be able to do run long uptimes and be generally be reliable. Thanks in advance,

Ric.
    Last edited by Ricibob; 11-21-2008 at 05:07 AM.

Default Re: GA-73PVM-S2H Vista regular Freeze/Lockup

Small update:
    Ran memtest+ 2.10 over night - 20 passes - no errros.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Hmm, freezing is often drivers or ram settings. Please do post how your overnight tests go.

Do you have performance enhance set to standard? Tried disable Legacy USB storage detect?

Hi

Yep so memtest overnight was ok - no errors.
    Also this morning I ran 5 runs of IntelBurnTest - everything fine there - no problems at all (which is consistent with the fact that it doesnt freeze playing games etc).
    Legacy USB storage detect was enabled - Ive disabled that now.
    <dumb nube question>"performance enhance"? I couldnt see anything bios relating to that - could you give me more info?
    I dont know if relivent but:
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) [Enabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) [Enabled]
    CPU eist Function [Enabled]
    </dumb nube question>
    I've just left the machine idle now with legacy usb off - normally freezes in 6 hours or so - so will wait now and see.
    Cheers for help.

It may or may not be in your BIOS. Try the hotkey on the main page to be sure. Press Control + F1 on the MAIN page of the BIOS and then go into MIT section

If you are overclocking At all these should be disabled >>>
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) [Enabled] << Disable
    CPU EIST Function [Enabled] << Disable

Every 6 hours? Close to always that long exactly? Hmmm, let us know how she acts now then

If you do have room you may want to point a 80mm Fan at your card, just to add some airflow over it since it is passive and you likely have a tight case right?

Quick update:

To clarify Im still running on the mobo graphics card having remove completely the passive 3650 to illiminate overheating as a possible cause. Same issues persists.
    Ive turned off legacy usb and disabled the 3 cpu functions (CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E), CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2), CPU eist Function) for good measure.
    Machine is running very cool. Memtesk ok, intel burn test ok.
    Issue persists.

Its a basically a MediaCenter machine and Im running TVPack2008 (an recentish update to MediaCenter) - Im wondering if there is not a software issue related to that that is causing instability.
    Does a software issues seem a possible cause?
    Im going to reinstall from scratch with out tvpack and test stability on a virgin install.

If any one has any better suggestions Im all ears....

Yes, software and or drivers can cause those types of issues for sure! Great to hear you are up for a clean install, now you will know if it is the software.

If it is not, then you have to likely have a ram settings issue, voltage issue ? or possibly faulty ram? Many things can cause your issues, if you do get BSOD's on a clean install try to get the BSOD code

Smile Re: GA-73PVM-S2H Vista regular Freeze/Lockup

A quick update to close this issue:
    Prior to doing an reinstall I removed all hardware (graphic card, 2 Tv tunners, Wifi card etc).. and the machine became stable. Putting each card back I found the culprite to be the DLink DWA-556 Draft N PCIe x1 Wifi card.

When I installed the card I used the Vista located driver which shows in device manager as Atheros Communications Inc 7.4.2.75 from 07.05.2008. I havent yet tried with the latest driver from the dlink site (2.10b02 from 18.04.2008). If I find a driver that fixes the issue I'll post back - but for the moment Im going to run a cable an used a wired network.

Other than the freezing of the machine removing the card solves a host of other small stability issues I was having that I thought were not related (eg MediaExtender not running properly, instability of MediaCenter etc)...
    Thanks Lsdmeasap for your help and moral support on this. Im glad to finally have a system that can stay up for more than a few hours

Nice find and thanks for posting back your findings!

Ya, I would try the latest direct from the site to see if that helps any, if no you may just need to buy a new wireless card.. I use a cheap PCI Gigabyte one, cost $20 and works great. Let me know if you would like a link

Thread Information