Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Memory / video problem on GA-EG45M-DS2H

Question Memory / video problem on GA-EG45M-DS2H

Hi there,

I just built this mobo w/ a Q6600 and OCZ2P10664GK (the OCZ Platinum 2x2GB). The memry is listed as PC2 8500, with 5-5-5 at 2.2V. Lot more details at the end of this post.

If I leave everything on auto but 'DRAM Voltage' set to 2.2V (as written on the stick) everything is running fine. But the memory is identified as a 800 memory, not 1066.

To get it to 1066 I have to change the 'System Memory Multiplier (SPD)' to 4.00C. Note that this is the ONLY change between the two configurations.

I tested using memtest86 and no errors. System boots Ok.

The issue is with the video. The symptoms are:
    1. Immediate after user login when the background is shown it has small video "artifacts".
    2. If I run the Vista performance index text, the video driver (latest from Gigabyte web site: Intel 7.15.10.1554 9/2/2008) is crashing, and Vista displays a notification: "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered\n Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered". This happens at the end of "Running the Aero Assessment" before "Setting up the Direct 3D Alpha Blend Assessment".
    3. After this Aero no longer works.
    4. I get the same crashes if I run Microsoft Virtual Telescope and change the zoom direction.

It is clear that the Intel integrated video controller has problems with the OCZ memory at that speed but question is how to change the settings so everybody is happy.

Note that I'm not overclocking the CPU although having C0 steeping it is very tempting.

Your help is really appreciated.

Thanks,
    Doru<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

• OCZ part number:-OCZ2P10664GK <o:p></o:p>
    • Module size and kit size:-2x2GB <o:p></o:p>
    • CPU model and rated speed:-Intell Q6600 C0 <o:p></o:p>
    • Overclocked CPU speed:-no overclocking <o:p></o:p>
    • Divider and FSB used:- <o:p></o:p>
    • Motherboard and revision:-GIGABYTE GA-EG45M-DS2H v1 <o:p></o:p>
    • Motherboard Bios rev:-1.07 <o:p></o:p>
    • Video card:-integrated Intel G45 <o:p></o:p>
    • Power supply:-Antec 450W <o:p></o:p>
    • Operating System:-Vista 64 SP1<o:p></o:p>
    • CPU and System Cooling:-Zalman CNPS8700NT, 2x120mm <o:p></o:p>
    • CPU and System temps:- <o:p></o:p>
    • Memory voltage:-2.2V
    • Memory mode: dual channel (orange slots).
    More data:
    CPU Clock Ratio = 9x
    CPU Frequency=2.4GHz
    CPU Host Clock Control=Disabled
    Performance Enhance=Standard
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch=Auto
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)=Auto
    DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) = Auto (5-5-5-15)
    MCH Core=Auto (1.2V)
    DRAM Voltage=2.2V <----- the only thing that I manually changed

Robust Graphics Booster = Auto
    PAVP Lite Mode = 32MB
    *Paranoid PAVP Mode= (32+96) 128MB
    DVMT Memory Size=128MB

Default Re: Memory / video problem on GA-EG45M-DS2H

Hi,

I have a somewhat similar problem too, except that my problem is I can't get my memory to run at its rated speed of 1066MHz or thereabouts.

System spec:
    CPU: Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz (333x10)
    DDR2 RAM modules: Corsair Dominator TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF (2 x 2GB)
    DDR2 rated spec: 1066MHz 5-5-5-15 at 2.1V
    Motherboard BIOS revision: F4

Current settings which is fine-tuned for 800MHz DRAM:
    CPU: Auto everything, except Vcore at 1.0925V (stable and cool as this is a HTPC)
    DRAM Performance enhance: Standard
    GMCH Frequency Latch: 333MHz
    System memory multiplier: 2.40B
    Memory frequency displayed: 800MHz
    DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual
    Standard timing: 4-4-4-12
    No tweaking in Advanced Timing Control except forced 2T Command Rate

Voltages:
    MCH Core: Auto (1.200V)
    DRAM voltage: 2.000V (actual is around 2.05V)

Here's my problem (note: CPU freq is kept at default - 333x10):
    If I leave GMCH Frequency Latch as 333MHz I can only get 2.00B or 2.40B as the choices for System memory multiplier, which means only 667MHz or 800MHz equivalent clocking for the memory. Something seems not right over here, why are there no other "B" (333MHz) choices?

So, in order to get all other memory multiplier combinations, I set the GMCH Freq Latch to Auto, and just to get DDR2 1000MHz, I selected 3.00A (which results in 333 x 3.00 = 1000MHz), and set the timings to 5-5-5-15 and raised the DRAM voltage to its rated 2.1V. But too bad the system won't even boot, the power will cycle once or twice then it will go into some sort of failed overclocking mode which you are informed the moment you get into the MIT menu.

I raised the DRAM voltage to 2.2V but with the same result, I don't think the DRAM voltage is at fault as the modules are rated for 1066MHz at 2.1V.

I also raised the MCH Core voltage to 1.300V but also with the same result. I dared not set it to 1.400V as it is blinking red.

So, can anyone help me out, I just wanted to run my memory at 1000MHz as there's no 1066MHz combination at 333MHz bus speed, and well if it works, I might then attempt to run the memory at 1111MHz which is the next selectable option in the multiplier.

More info:
    I managed to overclock my CPU successfully to 4.00GHz previously, but since this is a HTPC with occasional video encoding job, I don't intend to leave the CPU in overclocked mode. Here's my settings when I did my CPU overclocking:

CPU Clock Ratio: 10x (default for E8600)
    CPU Host Clock Control: Enabled
    CPU Host Frequency: 400MHz

GMCH Frequency Latch: Auto
    System Memory Multiplier: Auto
    Memory frequency displayed: 960MHz (basically that's a 2.40 multiplier settings)
    Managed to optimize my timings to: 5-4-4-12 2T

CPU Vcore: 1.3000V
    MCH Core: 1.300V
    DRAM Voltage: 2.100V

Conclusion here is that I have gotten my memory modules to run till DDR2-960 speeds in CPU overclocking mode, but I can't get them to run at anything above DDR2-800 at default CPU bus speeds.

Thanks.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Try using memory Multiplier 4.00A and add +.2-.3 to MCH voltage and see how it is, you may also use 2.1 voltage as 2.2 may not be needed on your ram, that is just the max warrantied.

What static Tread are you setting? If Auto, what is showing on the left (And no, this is not always what is used) I would advise you set it to 7-8

LCP did you load and apply optimized defaults after you last BIOS flash, and is that the latest BIOS for your board (So

You should be using B or D multi's. On B/333 there should be 2.00, 2.40, 3.20. and 4.00 and on D/400 there should be 2.00, 2.66, and 3.33

You will need more vcore for sure to run 400 x10, try 1.36-1.38 in the BIOS will be less in windows (Check with CPU-z the difference, you may only need 1.3-1.32 or less to run 4Ghz)

Do you have performance enhance set to standard, and what static tread are you using?

Thanks for replay.

I've run memtest86+ all nigth w/o errors. This time I set everything but mem multiplier to auto. During the test memtest86+ shows RAM 533 MHz (DDR1066) / CAS : 5-7-7-20 / Dual Channel.

Anyway, I tried to do the settings you sugested and there is no 4.00A available (I used Ctrl+F1 in the main menu). In order to get to static tread settings per channel to 7, I set timings to 5-7-7-20, but the system had throuble to POST. I changed them to 5-5-5-15 but the OS was freezing.
    So after loading the optimized defaults, I just left the timings on auto, set multiplier to 4.00C, ram voltage to 2.1V and MCH voltage to 1.3 (it was 1.2 on auto and max is 1.4).

The OS troubles are gone. But the G45 that is both the GPU and MCH is a lot warmer than on default settings.

So here are two questions:
    1. Can I install 4 more GB (for 8GB) with this memory type, or I'll have troubles.
    2. What are my chances to OC the Q6600 to not more than 3GHz? Will this memory work? Will this mobo work?

Please advice.

There should be 4.00A unless you are setting your own MCH strap, if so dont and put that on Auto and you will see all multi's

Ya you can use more ram, I'm not sure about that board though not many people use those types of boards to overclock so I couldn't really say

It is set to auto but no 4.00A.

In the mean time I lowered the RAM voltage to 2.0V and it works Ok. Is there anything more that I can do or I should leave it like that?

Yes, I know this is not a gamer board. I just want a little more from CPU that is a lot less than what this CPU can do on the rigth board.

Thanks,
    Doru

doru, I think this board is stable to at least 400MHz with its built-in X4500HD display on the G45 GMCH enabled. Mine worked stable at 400MHz (400 x 10 = 4GHz) with the RAM at 960MHz.

If you need more speed from this board, disable the built-in display and use a display card...

My only problem is I cannot get the RAM to work at any speeds higher than 800MHz when I run at 333MHz bus (CPU: 333 x 10 = 3.33GHz). Will post some screen shots of my BIOS for Lsdmeasap later.

Hi Lsdmeasap, yes, optimized defaults were loaded after I flashed to the latest F4 BIOS for this board. I forgot to take note of the Static tRead value (the HTPC is at my weekend home , won't be back there for a few more days), and Performance Enhance was at Standard when I attempted to go for higher memory speed than 800MHz.

BIOS screen showing computer and BIOS info from pressing F9:

MIT screen 1:

MIT screen 2:

Continued next post...

System Memory Multiplier options with GMCH Freq Latch set to Auto, only the Auto option has been scrolled away, this is all the options there are:

System Memory Multiplier options with GMCH Freq Latch set to 333, there's nothing higher than 2.40B, unfortunately:

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information