Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EX58-UD5 Problem

Default Re: EX58-UD5 Problem

Thanks brian2k but the problem is more "visceral" than Windows. It is an initialization issue at the BIOS level. I found out there is a BIOS update F4 and downloaded it from GIGABYTE - Upgrade Your Life (note that the gigabyte US web site does not have it yet) and it seems that network is now working (even realized it was 1GB/s < 10 m link inside the BIOS test). When it started working opensuse 11.1 would make it work right away without any problems whatsoever, for Windows XP, you need to install the driver that comes in the CD (which only appeared for installation once the device is detected by BIOS). Watch out for the CD, it wants to install (perhaps maliciously) a whole bunch of Gigabyte malware.

If this is now reliable, I have no idea. I'll let you know if it fails again.
    Thanks for all your help!

I'm about to buy one of these, i hope i dont get these problems

Hey,

i also updated to version f4 but the problem keeps bugging me. When i boot my workstation in the morning it always ****s up. The system boots into my ubuntu and the eth0 shows up but fails on dhcp.

On a 2nd boot it does not show up any eth at all. A shutdown and a power switch off for 15 seconds fixes everything. The system boots up as normal. Really pissing me off.

Anyone else in the same situation?

System Sepcs:
    Mainboard EX58-EXTREME Socket1366 ATX (f4 as mentioned on RicT's post)
    Intel® Core™ i7 Prozessor 920 2,66GHz
    6x1GB Corsair DDR3 XMS3-1333, 9-9-9-24
    2x Galaxy GeForce 9800GTX+ 512MB aktiv (SLI)

Thanks!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Sounds to me like your system is not as stable as you believe it may be. Have you ram memtest86+ and for how long? Ran orthos, how long?

Hey Lsdmeasap,

i will run memtest this night. But i am not sure about the stability of the system. How can effect a memory problems the network controler? The system if once booted keeps working for days.

It's also strange, that the network controler does not even show up on bios. The cable test only shows "virtual cable".

Exclamation Re: EX58-UD5 Problem

I have also had lan problems from day one. I have a EX58-EXTREME, which also uses the Realtek 8111D chip. I installed Vista-64 first, then added OpenSUSE 11.1. The lans would vanish on about 2 out of 3 boots. Once they vanished even SMART LAN wouldn't show them after a RESET. The only way to recover is to power-down, unplug (or switch off) power supply. For me it takes 10 seconds before the light on the motherboad goes out. I then wait another 5 seconds, plug in the power supply. Then 1 out 3 boots will work with the LANs back to normal.

I fixed the problem by downloading from REALTEK (http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...DownTypeID=3#2) the latest drivers, which were at the time the ones dated 11/10/2008. These drivers fixed the problem under Vista-64, but the problem remains under SUSE 11.1.

Interestingly the problem came back to Vista-64 the next day. Windows update had reloaded the old (defective) drivers (10/03/2008)! Don't let Windows load what it thinks are better drivers! after reloading the 11/10/2008 drivers Vista-64 was again fine LAN-wise. Linux still only working on some power-ups.

Upon looking at the Realtek website while verifying the link address I noticed that Realtek has released new drivers dated 12.31.08! Maybe the new one will fix this problem under linux! You've gotta respect them releasing new drivers on New Years Eve. Clearly they are addressing some problems.

I hope this helps anyone else who has this problem. I'm glad it wasn't just me.

UPDATE: Installing the 12.31.08 package from Realtek borked my system! I had to do a restore. I'd advise caution for anyone who tries it. I'll look into the issue more tomorrow.
    Last edited by SnorkleZ; 01-03-2009 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Update

Yes, please try the Direct from RealTek drivers, I always get my drivers direct from the source.

I suggested the ram test due to your booting issues not anything to do with your network, sorry for that confusion

hey Lsdmeasap,

by booting problems i always talked about the network controler. My system boots fine. It just sometimes seem to have a problem with the network controler.

I'll try the direct driver right now. :-)

Thanks
    bee

Hi,

I also always get this problems when i run linux and ATI graphics drivers, if i run with the default graphics it works alright but not with the latest ATI drivers. In Vista x64 it works fine even without updating the network drivers.
    I also have a problem that it randomly reboots without logging any errors, i also anly get this when using the ATI drivers both in vista and Linux...

I have a EX-UD5 and a ATI 4670 also Gigabyte.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information