Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GA-P35-S3G BIOS for E8400 E0 OC?

Default Re: GA-P35-S3G BIOS for E8400 E0 OC?

That's impressive. You might want to use MemSet to reveal what the "live" memory sub-timing values are while it's running overclocked within Windows. Then you can save those values in BIOS for a place to begin tweaking from. You can read about MemSet in this Lsdmeasap sticky ... Memory Timings Explained W/ Suggested Timings & Memset VS. BIOS
    Gigabyte P35-S3G . 50mm Fan on MCH +0.2v
    Intel E6500 (9 x 420) 3780mHz 1.33125v
    G.Skill 4x1GB
    PC2-6400-NQ
    840mHz +0.2v
    Gigabyte HD4850 . Acer X223W . Acer X193W+
    Rosewill
    RP500-2 . WD WD3200AAJS . Masscool 8WA741

Yeah, I was quite pleased it easily went over 4.1GHz with no immediate trouble. I'm quite happy to run at 4GHz just when I need the extra processing power, and slower the rest of the time.

I got MemSet, along with a whole bunch of other utils last night, and had a quick look - I'll look at that some more, as you suggest. It really looks to me like the BIOS is just way too fussy about what settings it will accept. I'm fairly happy with using EasyTune, but it's a PIA to adjust the values any significant distance, as you have to click them 1MHz at a time, unless I'm missing something; I don't want to load the OC settings on every boot, just when I need them.

I may try upgrading my F4 BIOS. How are you finding F5a BIOS? OK? Stable? New features? Easier to OC? Cheers, Pum.

I didn't really notice any differences between F4 and F5a, but I'm not using a CPU (yet) that may benefit from the upgrade. They are both stable for me. PLEASE - do NOT use @BIOS to flash the BIOS. I saw that it was mentioned in the forum link in your initial post. I bricked my board using it, as have several other users. Lsdmeasap has a sticky about using QFlash , which is a very nice utility, and is easy to access from the BIOS screen. It calls for the extracted BIOS file, stored on either a floppy diskette or USB.

4gHz thru EasyTune may not be as rock solid as seems. Try stressing it with Intel Burn Test and see how far it gets. I didn't use ET very much when I frst installed this board. Maybe I should revisit it.

Use F11:SAVE and F12:LOAD at the front BIOS page to manage different BIOS profiles. It works well.
    G.Skill 4x1GB
    PC2-6400-NQ
    840mHz +0.2v
    Rosewill

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Your board will not show anything in Easytune that is not in the BIOS, and may leave out things as well such as PCIE Freq. No big deal as at least PCIE Freq does not need changed, should always be set to 100 in the BIOS.

As said above your ET overclock is likely not too stable, but it does show you can for sure do it on the board.

If you keep having issues please do post me the FULL settings you are trying in the BIOS and I will try to help you get things squared away

So did you have to try lots of different settings before the BIOS accepted the OC, or did it accept different OC settings quite easily? For me it refuses to even try to boot with any volt/timing settings I try if I set system FSB to 340MHz or higher. I've tried quite a few different settings for all the volts and mem timings etc, and the BIOS just kicks them out and resets back to defaults. I'm figuring that if my hardware is capable of 4+GHz (which I've proven it is with EasyTune) then I should at least be able to get it to ~3.6GHz without having to get all the settings exactly right. I thought I would be able to start OCing with approximately correct settings, and gradually home in on the necessary optimum settings as I also homed in on the maximum speed, but it feels like I have to get all the timings and voltages just perfect to even get a minimal OC!

I wonder what's changed in F5 BIOS. F4 introduced support for E8*00 E0 core, so maybe that was just basic functional support, but not much good for OCing, and now they're improving on that in F5 - I hope. Yeah, I know not to use @BIOS, thanx. Been flashing BIOS since the early 1990s - still a scary exercise. Yep, I've read Lsdmeasap's piece on QFlash, cheers. The save/load profile feature is real nice, which is one of the reasons I chose a Gigabyte mobo for the first time - always used Asus in the past, as they were pretty much the best for OCing and other features then.

I didn't have enough time to do proper stability testing yesterday. I ran SuperPI 1M after each new setting to gauge performance, and as a mini-stability test. I also ran the LinX version of the Intel Linpack Burn Test successfully for 5 loops, but I can't remember at which clock speed. I'm busy this evening, so I'll do more testing when I can.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

What vdrop do you have? And what vcore, vtt and pll are you setting? May just not be enough to boot into windows is all

Well, I've jotted about 30 pages of notes on this setup, so yeah, I've crunched lots of digits. One important thing to share with you is that I've not been successful much beyond 390FSB. I am undecided as to the cause, either cpu or mobo (certaninly not the operator, ha). I suggest to you that you first attempt to solidify a configuration below that constraint, such as 9x378=3402 with 2.4x378=DDR907 at 444-12. Put all seven sub-timings to AUTO (for now), with the Performance Enhance (PE) set to TURBO (for now). When it boots into Windows, use MemSet to derive those live sub-timing values. Then reboot and inject those values into BIOS, and reset PE to Standard. Try these voltages (for now): CPU 1.325v, DDR +0.2v, MCH +0.1v, FSB Normal.

I also used 1M SuperPi as a preliminary performance gauge, then used MemTest86+ to verify those incremental memory tweaks. Hopefully the above settings will establish a reliable boot sequence. Then you can tune your memory for stability, and explore the capabilities of the CPU/mobo and the various memory multipliers.

Beta versions are released prior to the final version of a BIOS update. So, F5a is an incomplete preliminary version of F5, not an enhancement to it. If you're already running F4, you're probably not missing a thing.
    G.Skill 4x1GB
    PC2-6400-NQ
    840mHz +0.2v
    Rosewill

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    What vdrop do you have? And what vcore, vtt and pll are you setting? May just not be enough to boot into windows is all
    Are you saying that it could take more vcore to boot windows than run it? It fail before getting anywhere near trying to boot windows. Seems to fail just before or at the start of the memory count test (it's difficult to tell for sure because it happens quite quickly and suddenly.)

vdrop? Is that the difference between what I set in the BIOS and what CPU-Z tells me? I'll check it when I next get a chance to test.

I'm not sure vtt and pll are available in the P35-S3G BIOS - it's an entry level board.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by jfk&g View Post
    I've not been successful much beyond 390FSB. I am undecided as to the cause
    My plan, which I picked up from a reviewing site somewhere, was to set the CPU multi to the lowest possible, and wind up the clock to the max I could get the RAM to run at, to explore the limits of the RAM without hitting the CPU core limit first. I guess I'd ideally like to get about or a little more than 500x8 and mem x2.0, but I'd certainly be delighted with stable 445x9 and mem x2.4.

These E8*00 CPUs seem really nice, and fairly affordable now, if you feel like upgrading

Quote Originally Posted by jfk&g View Post
    Beta versions are released prior to the final version of a BIOS update. So, F5a is an incomplete preliminary version of F5, not an enhancement to it. If you're already running F4, you're probably not missing a thing.
    Well, F5 should be an advance on F4, and F5a is a beta of F5, so should probably have some kind of improvement, but it might not be finished or completely stable. If it's stable for you and Gigabyte are happy to release it into the wild then I reckon it's worth me giving it a try. Cheers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information