Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stuck CPU core sensor??

Default Re: Stuck CPU core sensor??

Orthos doesn't stress the CPU real hard. I run it as a "go-no go" quick test before I march forward with an OC.

Try Intel's Burn Test if you want to see the core temps move up a touch. Core Damage is another good program for building some heat.

a 24 hr. dual prime run is what gives me some comfort in a relatively stable OC. My current OC has run dual prime for 8 hours before I terminated it myself to try some memory tweaks.

A little off topic, but back to the OP...... I think keeping your current chip is fine. This is apparently a widespread problem with Wolfdales.
    Gigabyte EP45- UD3P
    E8500 Wolfdale @ 4.1ghz
    2x2gb G.Skill PC6400, DDR864, 5-4-4-12
    (3)- Samsung 320gb Spinpoint hdd's in Raid 5
    ASUS TOP 4850 w/Glaciator Fansink
    Lite-On 16x DVD x 2
    D-Tek Fuzion WB
    Thermochill PA120.2 radiator
    2x120 SFF21-F fans
    Liang D5 pump

Quote Originally Posted by cdelong View Post
    Orthos doesn't stress the CPU real hard. I run it as a "go-no go" quick test before I march forward with an OC.

Try Intel's Burn Test if you want to see the core temps move up a touch. Core Damage is another good program for building some heat.

a 24 hr. dual prime run is what gives me some comfort in a relatively stable OC. My current OC has run dual prime for 8 hours before I terminated it myself to try some memory tweaks.

A little off topic, but back to the OP...... I think keeping your current chip is fine. This is apparently a widespread problem with Wolfdales.
    I will give Intel's Burn Test a try. I would feel better if I could warm the cores up a little more and see both core temps move up.

I agree about the widespread problem with Wolfdales, especially after doing a google search on the topic. Funny how every new PC build presents you with quirky issues.

Well, I ran core damage for about four minutes. Core 1 got up to 46C, but the other core stayed stuck at 39C. I think one of the cores is stuck completely.

Is this going to mess up it's ability to throttle down if it over heats?

Your screenshots look a bit weird. The "Stuck Sensor" aspect happens moreso at idle to midrange temperatures as the sensor has not been designed to accurately measure temperature across the chips working range.

Even though the sensors may be "stuck" the "Stuck Sensor" Phenomena only means them not moving at a linear rate at low to mid temperatures, but they will report more in a linear fashion around 55/60C and above.
    The sensors are only an internal temperature "Countdown" to TjMax - the max temp for the CPU, when the Chip will go into slowdown to protect itself.

So basically the definition of a "Stuck Sensor" is a non linear sensor.

I would be surprised if there were a fault with your CPU. Hwmonitor, Everest, RealTemp, CoreTemp should all record a temperature increase even with a Stuck sensor, if you load the CPU up. That can be with a modern game, Orthos, Prime95 etc - all are sufficient to take the chip towards it's more linear temperture reporting operation.

Orthos and HWmonitor use the same SDK reporting kit and I'm wondering if you have another program interfering with the reporting of one.
    If the bios is reporting the same figure all the time, is there a bios update you could try?

It's odd that both cores show the same continuously. To me that looks like something other than the CPU.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Quote Originally Posted by VorLonUK View Post

If the bios is reporting the same figure all the time, is there a bios update you could try?

It's odd that both cores show the same continuously. To me that looks like something other than the CPU.
    The bios only shows "CPU temp" and does not display a temp for each core. The "CPU temp" reads perfectly fine in the bios, and with Everest, and a few other software programs. That is it fluctuates up and down depending on CPU load.

I too find it odd that both cores are stuck at the exact same number. But like I said, running Core damage did make the one core rise to 46C. The other stayed at 39C.

Have you tried RealTemp ( i gave the latest Beta link further up the thread), it has a sensor check where it does a mini type Prime95, whilst you can see if the values move.

Do try the Beta though. Also it's another means of meaurement, so if any software is causing a conflict, this gives you another chance at avoiding that.
    Make sure no other diagnostics/utilities are running at the same time.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Have you tried RealTemp ( i gave the latest Beta link further up the thread), it has a sensor check where it does a mini type Prime95, whilst you can see if the values move.

Do try the Beta though. Also it's another means of meaurement, so if any software is causing a conflict, this gives you another chance at avoiding that.
    Make sure no other diagnostics/utilities are running at the same time.
    I have tried the "test sensor" in real temp, and both came back 0 sensor movement.

I can only get the one core to move up in temp using Core damage. However, I have read all over the net where people are claiming they have up to a 12c difference in the temp readings between the two cores. Maybe I need to get something that can get the cores into the 50C range to see if the other core moves, but runs 10-12c cooler than the other core.

Is this issue going to cause any problems with the CPU throttling down if it gets too hot? I mean if one of the core sensors is stuck, how will it know if it overheats?
    Last edited by Keizer; 11-25-2008 at 07:32 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yeah Zero sensor movement is a bad sign for both sensors! And I do think since coredamage only got you to 46, that may not be high enough to see if the other one will move or not.

Try a overclock and see if once you do that and run coredamage if things get any hotter. If you do not want to overclock you can just simply leave everything as it is and add .5 Vcore or so and that should for sure let you see some differences at load with your temps

Your CPU will not get throttled down unless you pump insane voltages into it. Just know that the one that works is a good idea of the others temp, I mean they are not going to be very different anyway.... So if one is 55C then you know the other is within range (+/- 5-10C) of that as well
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 11-25-2008 at 06:07 PM.

Has your cooler got a PWM fan and are you running it in that Auto mode?

have you the latest bios? and when checking in it, can you see the overall CPU temp vary? and if so what is the reported temp and what is your room temp?

Has your cooler got a PWM fan and are you running it in that Auto mode?

have you the latest bios? and when checking in it, can you see the overall CPU temp vary? and if so what is the reported temp and what is your room temp?
    No, the CPU fan is not PWM. It only has three wires. I have the smart fan control disabled in the bios, and control the rpm with the RPM controller that came with this Zalman cooler. I have the CPU fan running at 2000rpm. I suppose I could slow that down to get those cores warmed up a little more.

I did flash to the new F5 bios that I found here. Using that Q-flash feature was probably the easiest bios flash I have ever done. And yes, I can see the overall CPU temp vary up and down in the bios, as well as Everest. I monitored the overall CPU temp with Everest when I ran core damage. It went from 22C up to 36c or so, and then back down after running core damage. So that part works as expected. After seeing the one core raise in temp to 46C running core damage, I can assume that the cores are both running roughly 10C warmer than the overall CPU temp.
    Last edited by Keizer; 11-25-2008 at 09:09 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information