Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Stuck CPU core sensor??




  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    34

    Default Stuck CPU core sensor??

    Sorry for all the different questions. This one does not fit subject wise with my last thread, so I will start a new one.

    System specs first:
    *Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R.
    *Two WD SATA 7200 rpm hard drives
    *3 GHZ Intel dual core CPU E8400
    *4 gigs Corsair DDR 2 800 RAM
    *Radeon HD 4830
    *Onboard sound

    Ok, I noticed in Everest(new beta that supports the above hardware) the CPU core temps are at 39C idle. They are always at 39C everytime I look at the readings. It's almost like it is stuck there.

    On my other dual core system (running MSI mobo) the core temps are 24C at idle, and you can actually see it fluctuate a little up and down.

    Whats odd, is both systems read 19C CPU temp in the bios and with Everest.

    It seems like this new system I built for my brother has slightly high core temps at idle, and also that they are stuck at 39C.

    Is something strange going on here? I did a google search and found allot of threads with idle temps at 39C running the same CPU.
    Last edited by Keizer; 11-25-2008 at 01:53 AM.

  2. #2
    Lsdmeasap's Avatar
    Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    PCB Island
    Posts
    25,940

    Default Re: Stuck CPU core sensor??

    What does coretemp show? Alot of new 45Nm cpus have stuck sensors at idle so you likely have one of those chips

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    942

    Default Re: Stuck CPU core sensor??

    You could download Realtemp and try the Test sensor feature.

    http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

    Latest Beta (updated after Intel info release)

    http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/...alTempBeta.zip
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 11-25-2008 at 02:09 AM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: Stuck CPU core sensor??

    Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    What does coretemp show? Alot of new 45Nm cpus have stuck sensors at idle so you likely have one of those chips
    I think you may be right on the stuck sensor. Core temp shows the same thing. Here is a screent comparing a few different temp tools. Real temp shows cooler temps, but they don't move either.

    When I did a goole search on this, allot of peoples core temps are at 39C at idle, but only go into the 40's under load.
    Attached Images Attached Images Stuck CPU core sensor??-temps-png 
    Last edited by Keizer; 11-25-2008 at 02:06 AM.

  5. #5
    Lsdmeasap's Avatar
    Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    PCB Island
    Posts
    25,940

    Default Re: Stuck CPU core sensor??

    Yeap, looks like both may be stuck. Do you get any movement from realtemps sensor test?

    Keep in mind Load is what really matters anyway

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: Stuck CPU core sensor??

    Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Yeap, looks like both may be stuck. Do you get any movement from realtemps sensor test?

    Keep in mind Load is what really matters anyway
    Nope, no movement in Real temp either.

    I think the sensor is stuck!

  7. #7
    Lsdmeasap's Avatar
    Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    PCB Island
    Posts
    25,940

    Default Re: Stuck CPU core sensor??

    Ouch, well you could RMA, but you may get another of the same or a worse overclocking chip... So all up to you.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: Stuck CPU core sensor??

    Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Ouch, well you could RMA, but you may get another of the same or a worse overclocking chip... So all up to you.
    Yeah, I may need to RMA the CPU. I really like to monitor temps....I think it's important.

    I just ran the "test sensors" feature in real temp, and both came back 0 sensor movement.

    So should I look into a different CPU if I RMA it? By the way, the regular "cpu temp" works fine, and fluctuates under load. Wouldn't this be fine as a temp monitoring for the CPU? I always thought the actual cores was the important temps to peek at.
    Last edited by Keizer; 11-25-2008 at 03:10 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    66

    Default Re: Stuck CPU core sensor??

    If u have a good clocker don't bother with an RMA. You could end up wih a bad sensor again and a terrible clocker to boot!

    The sensors are reasonably accurate under load.

    At idle My E8500 reads 34C on core 0 and 42C on core 1. Under load they both read within a degree..... depending on the program. They've never been over 48C under full load and read the same.

    Do what u will but I'd keep your current chip if it's just off at idle and clocks decently. I'd never give up this E8500 which I've just started tinkering with the last two days... has hit 4009mhz with very little tweaking or voltage.
    Gigabyte EP45- UD3P
    E8500 Wolfdale @ 4.1ghz
    2x2gb G.Skill PC6400, DDR864, 5-4-4-12
    (3)- Samsung 320gb Spinpoint hdd's in Raid 5
    ASUS TOP 4850 w/Glaciator Fansink
    Lite-On 16x DVD x 2
    D-Tek Fuzion WB
    Thermochill PA120.2 radiator
    2x120 SFF21-F fans
    Liang D5 pump

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: Stuck CPU core sensor??

    Quote Originally Posted by cdelong View Post
    If u have a good clocker don't bother with an RMA. You could end up wih a bad sensor again and a terrible clocker to boot!

    The sensors are reasonably accurate under load.

    At idle My E8500 reads 34C on core 0 and 42C on core 1. Under load they both read within a degree..... depending on the program. They've never been over 48C under full load and read the same.

    Do what u will but I'd keep your current chip if it's just off at idle and clocks decently. I'd never give up this E8500 which I've just started tinkering with the last two days... has hit 4009mhz with very little tweaking or voltage.
    I think I will just keep the CPU I have. I ran Orthos and I did see one of the cores jump from 39c to 40c several times. So I think the cores do work if the CPU gets warm enough.

    The actual "CPU temp" didn't go past 36C during the Orthos run.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •