Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EP45-UD3R Memory/Misc

Default GA-EP45-UD3R Memory/Misc

Hi

Looking to buy the above MB, need a few recommendations. Let me add that it has been about 4 yrs since I've put a PC together. Thanks in advance for comments:
    1. I've looked on the Gigabyte website at the qualified vendor memory list, but wanted some first hand thoughts from owners, especially with compatibility and to ensure the memory will ACTUALLY provide dual channel communications (I've seen a post that indicated one must scrutinize this). I'm thinking 1066 DDR2 2GB, but not fixed on it as presumably there are other factors. Also, is a lower CAS level still a vaild consideration?
    2. Also read a post about some issues with AHCI (HD communication speed) with XP, suggesting that Vista may be a better alternative in this regard. Comments.
    3. Any other issues you might have with this MB?

Default Re: GA-EP45-UD3R Memory/Misc

Everyone has their opinions on memory manufacturers. Some make to board model combinations seem to work better than others.
    Also some companies have a better support/RMA service which varies wherever you live globally.
    Often see a lot of Issues with Corsair, Ocz and Crucial, but probably as they are the market leaders, so it's hard to gauge who fares the best on a particular make/model of board.

In my experience/research DDR3/DDR3 solutions are still not mature enough except are perhaps a bit better in the high end chipset/boards.
    DDR2 appears to be the best supported in the mainstream and above boards now.

As for AHCI, the only gains I saw (as opposed to sata native ide mode), were in the "Burst rate", which generally refers to the drives buffer/cache to the onboard controller. General throughput or access times were too small to actually ascertain whether there were a genuine difference.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You can run 2x1 or 2GB or more at 1066 in dual channel just fine with that board. Yes lower CAS is better, but at 1066 (if you plan to get that) you wont see much difference as most all are 555-x anyway.

I agree with VorLonUK, AHCI gains are really minimal and if you do not plan to hot swap then it really may not be worth your time. That being said, I have not seen any XP issue with AHCI other then you have to have a floppy (Or slipstream) the driver

I Have not personally tested on any of the UD3 model boards so I cannot comment for sure about ram compatibility but I can say the new Crucials (2.0V type) should be fine as I am testing them right now on P45 without issue (4x1 and 2x2, both will do 1200+)

Mushkin is not on the list and has been proven in my testing and personal use to be great with Gigabyte boards (Black/XP is best Blue/HP is second best). G.Skill also not normally on the lists is fine as well (Models ending in K are best, Q second best). GeIL as well (Not the 2.2-2.4 versions with RED LED's on them)

As for other brands, they may work fine and may not. Some models #'s do work great and it seems others have issues at times. You would just have to look around or Google your board and that particular ram model # you are thinking of to see what comes up. I have tried to get some from both companies for testing, sadly to no avail so I cannot comment from personal use/testing.
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008 at 03:15 PM.

I can tell you what memory not to buy....Kingston's KHX8500D2K2/2GN. The SPD is programmed to JEDEC standard latency 800Mhz timing of 5-5-5-18 at 1.8V and I have not had much luck getting it to run at 1066mhz using this very good Motherboard. If someone has some tips to get it up to 1066MHZ, I am willing to listen.

The Gigabyte website has a list of memory specifically tested with this board. The aforementioned memory is not on that list.

Quote Originally Posted by codingkid View Post
    The SPD is programmed to JEDEC standard latency 800Mhz timing of 5-5-5-18 at 1.8V
    A lot of the Ram manufacturers do that...

For instance my OCZ DDR3 1333Mhz ram identifies itself via SPD as 1066Mhz ram at the correct Jedec Voltage of 1.5volts.
    I've noticed this with other makes such as Corsair too.

It seems the advertised timings are equal to the SPD data at 1066Mhz, but to achieve those timings at the advertised Speed of 1333Mhz (as per the Product sticker/info), you need to increase the Ram voltage to what's neccessary, but not exceed the warrantied limit.
    Often the high end chipset/boards don't need for the Ram voltage to be increased all that much as through a combination of low noise design and better voltage regulation, the Ram can correctly function without "Brute Force".
    It's often on the Mid Market boards with combinations of high memory density where Ram voltages often have to be increased near to their warrantied limit, in a bid to overcome the limitations of the board.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yeap, most all ram is SPD Programmed to 800Mhz 555-18 @ 1.8V for DDR2, that is the JEDEC Standard for DDR2

If you need help with your ram please make a new thread with your full specs (including how much of this ram you have and a link to it) and I will help you out

Thread Information