Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GA-MA78GM-S2H ver 1.1 ~ First Build Challenges

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-MA78GM-S2H ver 1.1 ~ First Build Challenges

Ahh we love it! You should see all the PM's we send to each other! I consider VorLonUK to be a very good friend and is a very knowledgeable person for sure!

Hardware opinions will always vary, even from Qualified professionals

Good luck with your continued work, and post back anytime for sure if you need some help!

Well, I wanted to make a decision, so I went with the assumption you were BOTH right. It's a good logical strategy.

I had two points of view. One was concerned that A was not as good a method as B.

The other felt that really A and B were likely about the same.

So I'm choosing B. Of course, I still won't know whose point of view was more correct. But the practice of doing the job again is good for me, and it won't take long.

The most time-consuming part is actually in reconstructing two plastic "guy-wires" that I have modded to the heat sink from either side.

To imagine this, you have to realize the heat sink sits this — way, not this | way. (The heatsink fan makes that look like = this.) The heatsink with its adjoined fan does not face the rear case fan. It faces straight UP at the fan in the bottom of the PSU. The heatsink fins attract heat out sideways from the CPU and that heat goes UP from the heatsink into the PSU fan (on the BOTTOM of the PSU) which conducts air up and out the back. The process is helped by the fan attached UNDERNEATH the heatsink, pushing cool air up and through.

It's a nice airflow arrangement. "Sitting flat" is also the ONLY possible arrangement, using a Xigmatek cooler on an AMD PSU. The mount MUST be north-south; east-west is impossible.

The plastic guy-wires carry no load, but if for any reason the heatsink (which extends 6 inches out from the motherboard, and is secured by only a single snap) —if the heatsink decided to part company one day, then the plastic guy-wires would hold it in place. So I like to have them there. They actually don't touch the heat sink; they are really secured to the two corners of the 120mm heatsink fan. If the structure dropped even a tiny smidgen, the plastic cables would hold the load.

So that has to be rebuilt every time I remove the heatsink. Ha ha! And whenever I want to remove RAM stick No. One (of 4), I have to remove the heatsink, which is like an umbrella above it! We can wish RAM stick No. One a long and healthy life!

Cheers.
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
    Gigabyte AM2+ GA-MA78GM-S2H ver 1.1. BIOS (newest) F11
    NB: AMD780G. SB: AMD SB700
    RAM 8GB (2 kits @ 4GB each) G.Skill DDR2-1000 (F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ PC2-8000 x2 CL5-5-5-15) running as DDR2-800
    Case Antec P150
    PSU Corsair HX520W. (PSU calc by Corsair + NCIX; tested by TT Dr Power.)
    Cooling Xigmatek HDT-S1283 heatsink (Arctic Silver 5); 6 fans
    HDDs usable 1.7 TB (4 Seagates—3x 500GB SATA ST3500320AS w/SD1A + 1x 320GB PATA ST3320620A)
    Floppy
    Opticals (3): Pioneer SATA DVR-212D; LiteOn/Sony PATA CRX230AE; external USB Samsung SE-S204S DVD Writer
    Video ATI Radeon HD4670
    Monitor 22" LG W2242TQ w/Belkin DVI-D
    Sound Altec Lansing 5.1
    Mouses (2) Logi MX620 + Logi V220
    KB Simple Perfection backlit USB
    XP64
    No gaming; heavy simultaneous use of big programs
    System built Nov 2008

WOW, sounds like a lot do do just for a heatsink!!!!

Let us know how your temps or progress turns out with your chosen "Method X"

Less Paste is more!

Well, yesterday I took the heatsink off, cleaned the CPU and the heatsink, put on new Arctic Silver, and remounted everything. It's all done except I had run out of plastic cable-ties, my "guy-wires", so I haven't added in that bit of safety-modding yet.

Mainly I did it because something inside me was nagging me to get it done, so I wouldn't have to keep thinking about the possibilities. When is meticulous simply obsessive? Well, the practice was good for me, anyway.

[Edit—I got a BSoD Stop Error 0 x ...50, but it looks like that MIGHT have related to my changing the positions of 2 PCI extension cards. I wasn't able to do a proper Restart—that could be another little problem—so I did a full shutdown and on that (second) try, I got into Windows, where I re-installed the PCI card driver, and I THINK that fixed things.

[Then I had a crash WHILE using NTRegOpt, first time ever, with any system. NTRegOpt is supposed to be fine for x64, so I don't know why it crashed. That left me unable to strart, with a corrupted registry. Luckily I could start using an XP OS disk, "repair", and an automatic ERUNT backup from earlier this morning. Worked like a charm.

[Now I have to figure out why my Restart button seems not to function. Those teensy-tiny wires that control the buttons seem to me to be terribly vulnerable. I'd like to replace them with a more robust kit. This Antec case is very nice but not perfect.]
    Last edited by Groonx2; 12-09-2008 at 02:38 AM. Reason: update
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
    RAM 8GB (2 kits @ 4GB each) G.Skill DDR2-1000 (F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ PC2-8000 x2 CL5-5-5-15) running as DDR2-800
    Case Antec P150
    HDDs usable 1.7 TB (4 Seagates—3x 500GB SATA ST3500320AS w/SD1A + 1x 320GB PATA ST3320620A)
    Floppy
    Opticals (3): Pioneer SATA DVR-212D; LiteOn/Sony PATA CRX230AE; external USB Samsung SE-S204S DVD Writer
    Video ATI Radeon HD4670
    Sound Altec Lansing 5.1
    XP64
    System built Nov 2008

So you all good now then? About your reset wires, are they hooked up properly? Well, anyway either way should work as it just shorts the power to the board so a reset happens.

Maybe they have a break in them, can you test each wire from the button to the board with a volt meter?

Yes, I've considered my project a success and also "completed" for a few days now. These continuing et ceteras are pretty well what I expected. I enjoy maintaining systems and learning as I go, so I'm happy.

But I know I'll have lots more questions, too! :)

Now I am returning to that other thread, which I see you've offered help on as well. Thanks again.
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
    Case Antec P150
    Floppy
    Video ATI Radeon HD4670
    Sound Altec Lansing 5.1
    XP64
    System built Nov 2008

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information