Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev 1.1) doesn't allow dual-channel

Default Re: GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev 1.1) doesn't allow dual-channel

if not 30 days .. call neweggs .. they will send you an RMA and no charge for shipping back .... i did that with my board ... i rma for return .. and same time buy new one ... that way i can have my system with out waitting... neweggs very helpfull on the phone

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

First off all, newegg DOES NOT Charge for return shipping at all ever. And second, yes return there, and best to call them up and set it up because if you ask nicely they will even email you a shipping label for you to send them the board with.

If you do it nice enough and talk about not having a system to do your work on they may even cross-ship it to you. Depends on who you talk with and how much you buy from them, but I have had things cross-shipped many times. For sure had pre-paid shipping labels sent to me alot.

But, even if you just fill out the online RMA form and dont talk to anyone, you do not have to pay for them to ship you the new board. In that case you would only pay the shipping to get the board to them (Please do Insure and track it as well)

Even if you are past the 30 days, calling them and trying wont hurt either.

If you do have to RMA to Gigabyte it will take a bit longer, but no return shipping will be charged there either
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 11-28-2008 at 03:34 PM.

Thanks, guys. I called and they're doing a "refund/re-order" and the rep e-mailed me a mailing label. Great service! It's the next best thing to having the m/b work in the first place.

See! Ya, Newegg cannot be beat when it comes to RMA's and Customer service, especially if you call in about things... Email support not so hot, but phone in for sure is great!

Good luck with your new board, and hope your RMA goes thru fast!

I received the new motherboard. It still doesn't support dual-channel, even at 2.1v. I can only think there's a basic incompatibility between the board and the RAM.

A Gigabyte rep responded to my ticket and suggested the CPU might not support dual-channel memory (since the memory controller is integrated on the CPU). Does that sound right??

BTW, I didn't do anything with the thermal paste--just moved the CPU/HSF from the old board to the new one. (Of course, I had to pull the HSF off the CPU to do that.) I trust that's okay. The temps seem stable.
    Last edited by skst; 12-04-2008 at 12:56 PM.

NO, that is not ok, you should always redo your paste.

Hmm, I dont know much about AMD but that seems like a silly reply as they would know if your CPU Supports Dual channel unless you did not tell them. But I think they all do as of 1990 AHAHA. Link me to your CPU and I will check, but I am pretty sure the answer is a obvious YES

That ram may not be compatible Not all ram is.... Can you borrow another set to test with?

I bought some Corsair memory to try, and it didn't work either.

The CPU is an Athlon64 X2 4850e.

Wow. This build is cursed. I'm so frustrated I'm ready to send it all back and take the restocking fee hit.

The BIOS is now only intermittently detecting the HD. I came home from work, turned it on (to try and fix the wireless card issues I'm having). It displayed the "starting vista..." or whatever it does with those vertical green bars, and then a black screen--no Vista circle logo. I restarted it, and BIOS didn't see the HD. I switched SATA connectors on the mobo, BIOS saw it, but no boot.

I booted from the Vista DVD and by the time I got to the "Repair" option, it no longer saw the HD. I booted into a BartPE CD--no HD.

I removed the drive and put it in a SATA enclosure I have. The drive seems fine. I ran CHKDSK and, as you'd expect from me restarting it, it fixed a few errors.

Code:
    Correcting errors in the uppercase file.
    CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
    master file table (MFT) bitmap.
    CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.
    I let it run in the enclosure for a while to see if it failed from overheating or whatever, but it stayed okay. (A bit warm when I removed it, but that's normal.)

I also tried a different SATA cable--no improvement.

It looks like my replacement mobo is the actual defective board and the one I just shipped back TODAY at least had working SATA connectors (even if the RAM couldn't be dual-channel).

It was dropped off at 11am, so I'm sure it's already gone out and I can't get it back from the UPS store. GRRR! And NewEgg is now out-of-stock, so who knows what I'll get as a replacement. (I guess I can ask for the GA-MA78GPM-DS2H.) And that's if they replace it at all since I've already RMAd it once. Double-GRR.

Any thoughts? What'll go wrong next?

A gentleman in another forum still thinks the PSU could be the reason for the RAM not being dual-channel. Could a bad PSU cause RAM issues and now HD issues?? It's a 380W PSU. I'd think that'd be enough for a 45W CPU, a HD, a DVD, tuner card, and a video card.
    Last edited by skst; 12-06-2008 at 10:26 AM.

I do not think a bad PSU could cause ram issues, maybe burn up ram but not cause Dual channel issues. But stranger things have happened for sure

That is a Small PSU, what GFX card do you have??

Is this install on a External drive? If so that is likely the whole issue

No, it's an internal drive (Seagate 1TB), and it was working fine on the first m/board. 380W may be on the lower-end, but I didn't think of it as small. I had to install an nVidia GeForce 7300 LE in order to get S-VHS output for my SDTV.

Oh, to try and make some headway against the PSU issue, I removed the tuner and wireless 802.11g cards and disconnected the DVD drive's power. No change--boot to black screen again and when I restarted, BIOS didn't see the HD.

Plus, it worked fine with the previous motherboard. (Grr again!)
    Last edited by skst; 12-07-2008 at 06:50 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information