Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev 1.1) doesn't allow dual-channel

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev 1.1) doesn't allow dual-channel

Hmm, I dont know what to suggest?

Do you have PCI and PCIE Freq settings? If so you do have them manually set at 33 and 100 respectively right?

Do you have a smaller drive to test with to see if it is maybe a BIOS issue?

The BIOS is the latest (F5). I've tried the same settings as I did with the previous board. I've reset it by removing the battery. I've tried the fail-safe settings. I've tried the optimized settings. I'm afraid I don't have another SATA drive I can try installing Vista on.

There's a PCIE freq setting. The default is Auto, which the manual says is 100MHz. Plus, the defaults worked fine before, and I haven't changed it, so it should be okay.

I'll have to try to RMA this board, too. I'm disappointed. I'd heard such good reviews about this board, and I'm on my second RMA. Now that NewEgg has deactivated this board, I hope they'll give me a GA-MA78GPM-DS2H for the same price instead. I planned to finish this over Thanksgiving, and now I don't know that I'll have it done before winter break.

Well I dunno man! Wish I could offer more help, but it could just be a dud board? All Intel over here so I dont know where to start AMD troubleshooting.

What I can tell you is for BEST results Call Newegg about your RMA and be nice and you may just get that, and a free pre-paid return label. Maybe even a cross-shipped board if you ask the right way and get the right person. Either way you go about asking things, on the phone ALWAYS Provides the best results with Newegg! There RMA Service hands down cannot be beat and can be 10fold on the phone!

I took your advice and called for the first board's RMA, and you're totally right. I just hope they're as understanding on the second call. It's also complicated by that same board being out-of-stock (or "deactivated"). I'll have to call them from work tomorrow cuz they don't open until 10a Central. I wish I could get my first board back. :)

I'll post news as it happens. Thanks again for your help.

Oh, just one more thing (Columbo-style): is there any chance this is a Vista issue? I don't think so because I don't see the Vista progress bar, and I don't see how Vista can stop the BIOS from detecting the HD after a failed boot (until the machine is powered cycled). But, if it really could be Vista, I can try to re-install it on the drive. I just don't want to do that (and possibly corrupt the install I have on there) if it's not possibly the issue.

Does that make any sense?

They will just refund you outright normally if the board is deactivated

Ya know, some Hard drives MUST be setup for first use with manufacturers tools, did we ever discuss that? Some drives do not ship ready to format, they must be setup and formatted for first use with special tools that set them active and primary

If you reinstall vista, it will not affect your files from your other install. You wont be able to boot to that install without setting up a dual boot but all files in that install will be kept and moved to a Windows.old folder.

So, you installed once already then? If so, then the above comment is not the case. Sorry I answer so many posts and PM's I am not sure what all we have or have not discussed

I'm impressed that you can keep so much straight as it is, and I don't expect you to refresh your memory by reading 3 pages of posts.

I formatted this HD in an enclosure on my XP machine. Then I put it in the new rig (with the old m/board) and installed Vista. When I got the new mobo, I figured I could just swap them since it was the same board (even the same rev). I think it resumed from hibernation when I first booted on the new board. It was only after a restart that it failed to boot (black screen, no cursor).

I still can't imagine how a Vista issue could prevent the BIOS from detecting the HD, but I'm going to (re-)install Vista tonight and see if a new board requires Vista to ... I don't know ... needs to start with generic drivers again. I miss DOS 3.3.

By the way, NewEgg was again very gracious on the phone. I hadn't realized they won't credit the outbound shipping charge for the defective boards, but the rep credited my account $10, basically splitting the difference. I think that's quite fair, esp since they've covered return shipping.

I'll try the Vista re-install tonight and if it still fails, I'll order the GA-MA78GPM-DS2H board. (It's not certified for Vista, but Gig's site has Vista drivers, and it's basically the same as this one but with 128M of integrated DDR3 for video.) Then I'll re-format the drive and do a complete re-install cuz all the m/board drivers are different.
    Last edited by skst; 12-09-2008 at 03:50 AM.

Update: I re-installed Vista, and it seems to be working. I say "seems" because Explorer crashed on me just now while I was deleting a file. Had to manually reboot it ... and the BIOS didn't detect the HD. Had to power off, wait, and power on. Then the BIOS sees it. I tried the "Delay 5 seconds for HD" BIOS setting--no improvement. It must be something freaky about when Vista crashes, an immediate reboot makes the BIOS not detect the HD.

I dunno. I hate computers (and operating systems).

By the way, I love how the Vista installer helpfully renames /Windows to /Windows.old but wipes out your /Users directory. That's great. I care about nothing in the /Windows directory but I might have had a few files in /Users.

Anyway, I guess this mobo is as good as it's going to get. I don't really feel like rolling the die and getting a third. I'll have to hope Vista doesn't crash too much. :) Thanks again for your patient help.

Thanks for understanding! Well that sounds like the disk should work normally from what you said. So my above comments about tools and such would not apply.

Ya going from one board to the exact same should for sure be as simple as you said.... NO ISSUES

Windows.old contains your WHOLE Old system. Everything windows, program files, documents, and users folders. Did you not look? Or maybe you did not enable hidden files and folders? You shouldn't have to do that anyway. See here is a test I just reinstalled over a test Vmware I have setup for just such things. With no settings changes mentioned above, as you see ALL Folders remain from the old install >>>

MS Page about the process >>
    How to retrieve files from an earlier version of Windows in Windows Vista

I do not condone their mentioned file gathering process but I just linked you to see their same comment at the top about all files (Unnecessary boot files and such will not be kept though) Copy and Paste is how I move things, dont know why they mention all those methods to move a file from one place to another? Maybe to get paying Customers to call in with issues trying to follow their suggestions?

So no RMA or not sure yet?

Ha. <rueful shake of the head> Nope, I didn't even look. I think I haven't wiped it out yet, so what few driver downloads I had should still be there. Definitely good to know for The Next Time though. Yeah, copy/paste (or even drag/drop) works for me too, but some folks are really uncomfortable with computers, so I they need the hand-holding.

No, I don't believe I'll RMA this board after all. It can only get worse. I still don't get why the HD isn't detected after a crash/reboot until I power-cycle it, but at least I know the procedure. I'll stress-test it for a week and see if anything else untoward occurs.

BTW, from its behavior when the screen was black (ENTER -> HD activity, ESC -> reboot), I think Vista was at this screen:

I don't know why it couldn't display video, even in Safe Mode. Maybe I had to start Safe Mode and hit ENTER--dunno if I ever tried that.

At this point, it's probably more of a Vista issue, so I'll stop moaning here. Thanks again!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information