Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev 1.1) doesn't allow dual-channel

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev 1.1) doesn't allow dual-channel

WOW< great to know about Amazon! Too bad they hate paypal or they would have much more of my business as I always see great prices there I cannot take advantage of

Super Huge Magnet would have worked

Vista installed. MCE configured. Copying my media over to it now. I'll update until I'm sure it's stable.

It's been stable for a few days now. I've added a wireless keyboard and remote. (Very easy to install.) I'd say this issue is closed.

Thanks again for all the help!

Quote Originally Posted by skst View Post
    It's the other way around: /r (check sectors) implies /f (fix).

It's a terabyte drive. I was doing the sector test to be sure the drive and its controller were okay. All RAM installed. No overclocking because I want to be safe. It's really weird that your 750GB took only 2-3 hours and my 1TB did 20% in 2 days. 4GHz vs 2.5GHz doesn't seem to explain it.

Note: You might want to skim or skip to the bottom. SeaTools says the drive is bad.

Anyway. Short story: I got Vista re-re-re-installed and fully updated. Everything seemed great. I was copying files to it over my LAN and it took a power hit this morning. Chkdsk "couldn't continue in read-only mode" and I had to power-cycle it. Boot to DVD's command prompt. Chkdsk fixed unused space marked as used. Restart. Boots to black screen (like my FIRST problem). Waited...nothing. Rebooted to DVD--no HD detected.

Now, I'm booting into Safe Mode with Command Prompt, and it's sitting on loading crcdisk.sys with intermittent HD LED activity. Google says lots of people experience this problem. After 20 minutes, it spontaneously rebooted. The HD wasn't detected, so I power-cycled. Now I'm going into the DVD and try Startup Repair (useless) and another chkdsk.

I can try installing a 5th time (getting bored!), but after that I'm returning everything and eating the restocking fee. If Vista corrupts the drive irreparably after every unexpected reboot, it's clearly not ready for primetime. Windows XP and 2000 (and FAT32, for that matter!) were much more robust.

Update 1: DVD Startup Repair. Said Yes to "Do you want to restore to earlier point?" aaaannd "Windows cannot repair this computer automatically." Diagnosis/repair details say "System Restore: Failed. Error code 0x45d" and "System files integrity check and repair: Failed. Error code 0x4005."

DVD Repair's command prompt: chkdsk C: /f hangs--no output. Not even "The file system is NTFS."

I'm noticing now that when I flip the power switch on the PSU, the keyboard lights don't always blink on/off (even though it will power on). Does that indicate some kind of m/b problem??

So, DVD Startup Repair again. No restore point rollback this time. Startup Repair failed again. Command prompt -> chkdsk C: /f /v looks like it's hanging again. Open another cmd prompt, try dir C: and that hangs, too.

Put HD in enclosure on XP machine. Delete partition. Create. Format. Format completed unsuccessfully. (Huh?!) Now, maybe it's a bad HD?!

I give up. One more reinstall and then it's RMApalooza time. This time, I'm going to pull the drive (grr) and do a complete re-format on my XP machine.

SeaTools says it passes the Short Generic test but fails the Long Generic. Looks like the HD is bad. Another RMA. I'm so excited.
    Just noticed this:-

In Checkdisk, I use c:\chkdsk /r /v

Also I create the bootdisks from WDC (Diagnostics) Seagate Tools, Hitachi Drive Fitness and MHDD for low level HD testing.

Edit:-
    Seagates HD Windows diagnostic is very good and updated regularly. It checks most makes of hard drives and supports USB storage devices too.
    You can use it in Windows For Smart, Quick and Full non destructive testing. It does have advanced options, so be careful with those.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 12-24-2008 at 01:57 AM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information