Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GA-EP45-DS3L Standby Problems

Default Re: GA-EP45-DS3L Standby Problems

Thanks, ed1.
    I noticed you mentioned that in a couple other similar threads, and if I can't get things working like this, then that is definitely the next thing I'll try. My memtest ran fine overnight, so for the most part it's just S3, as far as the major issues go.

Update:
    Looks like slipstreaming my XP CD is not an option, because it's a holdover from an old Dell machine I had. Apparently slipstreaming doesn't work with OEM cds. I think there's definitely something buggy with my current version of XP, it's taking a lot longer to start up than it did even three days ago (back when I had the faulty RAM).

Aha. Googling around, I found this program:
    http://www.nliteos.com/
    Which seems to go through all the complicated rigamarole of integrating to an OEM CD automatically. Haven't tested the results yet, but it gave me a CD that autoruns as a Windows disc...

Update 2:
    Have tested every MCH voltage level from 1.05V - 1.30V -- same old problem.
    1.05, 1.10, 1.16, 1.20, 1.24, 1.28, and 1.30 all gave me the "sleep-then-wake-up" situation... in other words, an inability to enter S3.
    1.18, 1.22, and 1.26 gave me the boot loop. When I tried to start up from 1.22, the POST didn't start. When I reset again, I went into the BIOS and it said that there was a boot failure "due to overclock or voltage settings."

In other, shorter words, it seems that the S3 standby is still out of reach, at least by fiddling with the MCH voltages. What a bummer. Is it possible that one of my other settings (see prev. page) is causing the problem? Or should I flash up to F10? The thing is that it's not so much a failure coming back from S3, as an inability to properly enter it. That seems like a different problem than the one F9 fixed, no?

This particular set of memory has a different sticker (must be from a different lot) -- it just says 2.1V on the side, instead of 2.1~2.2V. I've been operating at 2.1V anyway, so I don't imagine that's a problem? Does anyone know if the Patriot PC26400 (2x2GB 4-4-4-12 800mhz) RAM is incompatible with my board? It ran through memtest fine, but I'm wondering if the RAM itself is a problem.

Update 3 (!):
    Argh. Okay, so I had tried setting my DRAM voltage to 2.080V, just to see what'd happen. I think my MCH was on Auto, at this point. Still couldn't enter S3. Went to do a hard boot before starting up Prime95 for a while, and then (as with the case up there), it wouldn't POST (though it did, the first time). I reset it, and it got hung up on the Gigabyte POST screen. I was able to get into the BIOS on the third try, and the Tweaker told me once again that the boot failures were caused by overclocking or voltage options. Thing is, the only options I've got that aren't at auto right now are DRAM voltage, the basic RAM timings (which auto should set at 4-4-4-12 anyway), and Performance Profile to Standard.

Should I be manually setting everything to stock (instead of Auto), or are these indications that my board is halfway-to-fried? I still have about a week to exchange it for another one at my retailer... but I don't want to do that if I don't have to.
    Last edited by christo; 12-01-2008 at 07:47 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

This particular set of memory has a different sticker (must be from a different lot)
    Different sticker? Then it is likely different IC Chips in the ram and may or may not be compatible with similar sticks.

Yes, that patriot ram should work fine

Nlite is a great and simple way to slipstream OS CD's, I have used it many time and Vlite as well. Not sure about OEM CD's though, but I would think it would work fine

MCH in Auto was likely your issue in the last comment? Not sure as you did not say anything about your CPU Settings. Static tRead may be to low in Auto as well

So lets get clear here about my first comment, are you using mismatched ram sticks now?

Oh, sorry for the lack of clarity.
    I'm using matched sticks - it's just that these sticks are not the same as the first set that I had. (Which, I suppose, is largely irrelevant, since the ones I have now ARE matched and do work.)

My static tRead is at 7 right now, as it was for all my unsuccessful tests with MCH voltage.

I think I might've returned MCH to auto. (I'll have to double-check.) It hasn't given me any problems, though - I've been running Prime95 for over 21 hours now with no errors, but I'm going to keep going for a while longer. Do the MCH problems only really manifest in terms of S3?

Turns out Nlite didn't work for my OEM cd.. unless I just did something wrong, but I've found a set of instructions that should work. But, just to repeat my earlier question (so it doesn't get lost in the mess I've left behind in the rest of the thread), will installing windows on my older HD significantly impact operations beyond startup?

Update:
    Stopped the Prime95 test at 27 hours and it didn't report any errors. MCH was on auto, at the time.

Have just tested S1, to see if that worked, and it was the exact same problem... waking up almost immediately after going to sleep. (In fact, the fans didn't even have time to turn themselves off.) Is this something that would still be tied to RAM, or could it be a missing driver update somewhere?

Update 2:
    I just doubled checked about my chipset driver.
    Last week, Gigabyte support sent me here to get it:
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...ProductID=2844
    In the intended chipsets, it doesn't list mine.

The one you posted is an older build - and it said that it's intended for the P35 chipset? (Does it not matter?) I also downloaded the file specifically for 4 series chipsets:
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...ition&lang=eng

None of them seemed to change the fact that I can't enter and stay in standby, though...

(Also, I just got another failure to POST. This concerns me a great deal... should it? I only have about a week left to exchange with my retailer if need be, so my time is running out. I'm just worried that this, in combination with the refusal to standby, are an indicator of something glitchy in the board itself.)
    Last edited by christo; 12-02-2008 at 11:36 AM.

Ahh, ok! Thanks for clearing that up for me, wasnt sure they way you commented about those stickers if you were using all the same sticks now or one with one type sticker and another with a different sticker.

You may just need to use 8 or 9 then, try 8. I would try the next step up or two before using Auto as it may put it at 10

Hmm, So waking up instantly is your issue? Is this the same issue you are having with S3 as well? As that is not the normal S3 issue, normally the issue is upon resuming or shortly after the system will BSOD or do other strange things.

Since you are instantly waking after sleep you likely have some setting you need to change in your power plan or you need to disable something from being allowed to wake your system. This could be in the BIOS or windows itself S3 issues can be caused by any number of things wrong, timings or voltages

What do you get if you run this command? Hit the windows Key + R and type this in the box >>

POWERCFG /AVAILABLESLEEPSTATES
    Then this one to see what devices are allowed to wake the system >>>
    powercfg /DEVICEQUERY wake_armed
    Do you have any external USB Deviced plugged in by chance? If so remove them, if not disable Legacy USB Storage Detect in the Integrated Peripherals BIOS page. USB Devices and this setting can have strange effect so just want to also rule them out

Old Hard drive? Hmm, well it would likely be slower then a new drive but it should not cause any particular issues per say.

All Intel chipset drivers are multi OS and chipset universal normally (Like P35 and P45 will use the same, either or), but yes sorry! I posted a way old version for some reason. The one you linked is the correct one, latest that Intel provides to the public.

I normally get ALL Drivers for GA boards here (RealTek (LAN & Audio) Intel chipsets drivers, RAID Drivers, ect) >>>
    Station-Drivers: le site de drivers, bios, firmwares, ect...

What do you have set in the BIOS as far as Wake goes? And do you have a USB Mouse? If so, try a PS/2 mouse and see if your mouse is maybe what is causing the system to wake. It's very hard to tell in XP, Vista makes this so much easier with the command >>
    powercfg /LastWake
    Unfortunately that does not work in XP.

You could have a glitchy board, but often what you describe is something like WAKE on LAN or some other device that is powering up the system

Thank you for such a thorough answer!

Well, it seems that there may be a reason why S3 wasn't working... when I do the first command (I had to run 'cmd' in order to see the answer - when I just did the run command it closed the window immediately after running it), this is what I got:

available: Standby S1 Hibernate
    not available: Standby S2 Standby S3

So it's strange that S3 would be available in the power management settings in the BIOS?

When I do the "wake_armed" query, I get "None" as a response.

As for the USB devices, I have got a couple, though no storage devices were connected.

Will test out how it works with them unplugged.

<i>Update:</i>
    I disabled Legacy USB devices, and went into the power management settings and disabled PME Event Wake and Ring Wake (or .. whatever one it is when you get a call on the modem).

In S1, do the fans still run? Because that's what I had going on when it went to sleep this time. It almost worked. The first time I went into sleep mode it actually did go to sleep (with fans), but when I tried again after waking it up, it did the usual sleep-wake thing.

Just to test things out, I tried setting it back to S3 in the BIOS. The FIRST time I went into standby, it actually worked (full shutdown with no lost data) -- as it had once or twice before, sometime last week. I tried it twice more after waking it up, and both times it did the sleep-wake.

And, just for the sake of making things even weirder, after waking up (and this would sometimes happen even after the immediate sleep-wake situation), the Realtek Audio manager told me that a jack had been unplugged. It hadn't - but now my sound doesn't work. It doesn't come back until I reboot.

Sigh.
    Last edited by christo; 12-02-2008 at 06:36 PM.

Yes, S1 the fans run.

Well your S3 comment sounds like you may have some incorrect MIT Settings per your ram or voltages.

Your wake_armed query makes me wonder if maybe NONE is why you have resume issues. Try setting something in the BIOS to be able to wake the system and in windows device manager enable your keyboard or mouse to be able to wake the system. You will need a PS/2 keyboard or mouse to wake the system with those

Sorry, I don't know how to enable a wake device in the device manager? I don't have any power management options in any of my device properties. The nearest I could get to enabling the keyboard in the BIOS was to set the keyboard (I have both PS2 keyboard and mouse) as a power-on device, and then I needed to set a password. Is that the same thing? Either way, after I enabled that, I still get "none" as the answer to the wake_armed query. Could this be because I disabled the LAN connection? I have a wireless card, and I got tired of always seeing the "there is a network cable unplugged" notifier, so I just disabled that connection.

It seems to be dumb luck whenever I am actually able to enter standby or not -- sometimes it works the first time (sometimes not), but I've never been able to enter standby (and stay in standby) more than once in a row, and never any time but the first time. If that makes sense.

Would the incorrect MIT settings also be affecting S1? Because it looks like the symptoms are identical, whether it's S1 or S3 - the only difference being that S3 occasionally gets a boot loop instead of just waking up immediately. I haven't yet experienced any BSOD or instability problems after waking up from standby (such as it is).

Still confusing that I can kindof enter S3 (rarely - and the power light does not blink), but it's not showing up as available in the availablesleepstates query. Is there a way to enable/install it? I know that it worked fine with my last system, and I was using this same HD (same OS, etc.) I just swapped out the parts.

Is it possible that some of these problems are caused by the fact that I'm using the same XP install as when this HD was in a different computer? I can't imagine that it is, but I'm trying to ascertain a cause, as more and more options seem to have been eliminated... I'm not quite ready to reinstall yet, if I don't have to. But maybe that's the next step?
    Last edited by christo; 12-03-2008 at 12:06 PM.

Well, I do not think LAN Settings would matter in this case

To disable the need for password, you go into control panel, then power options then the advanced tab and uncheck the Prompt for Password on resume box

I was using this same HD (same OS, etc.) I just swapped out the parts.
    Did you reinstall the OS? If not you should for sure! Ahh, ya I see you asked, sorry I reply as I read. Yes, please do a clean install. What board did you come from to this one with that install? Just wondering, although same chipset boards are sometimes OK to do that with it is never recommended and especially not if coming from one chipset to another

As for enabling something to be able to wake the system, I forget maybe XP does not have the features this way. In Vista each device has a Power Management tab and you can enabled it to wake the system.

Found info for XP, you need to set something to be able to wake the system so lets do keyboard and mouse >>>

Windows Key + R, then type cmd, then as follows >>>

For S3 >>>
    POWERCFG /DEVICEQUERY wake_from_S3_supported
    For S1 >>>
    POWERCFG /DEVICEQUERY wake_from_S1_supported
    Once that returns some items choose your keyboard or mouse by name and add it to this command and run that >>>
    POWERCFG /DEVICEENABLEWAKE "KB or Mouse Full Name Here, one at a time with quotes"
    An example of the above to enable my mouse would be >>>
    POWERCFG /DEVICEENABLEWAKE "Microsoft USB IntelliMouse Explorer"

Aha! Yeah, I was waiting on the clean install for a couple of reasons, but with this note I'll do it for sure tomorrow. My last board was an ASUS... an older one, I don't remember the number, the last processor was a Pentium D. So maybe that's helping mess things up. Really, I hope that's the root of all these troubles. (Thinking on it now, my retailer tech support guy had suggested a clean install a while back, but didn't insist on it.)

I wasn't able to get the OEM slipstream to work, though, so I'm borrowing another XP CD. Hopefully my product key still works.

Okay, now here's the weird thing. I did those queries. I got none for S3 (which makes sense, since it doesn't seem to be available), and I got a whole bunch for S1. No keyboard or mouse (they are both PS2). Here's the list:
    -Communications Port <COM1>
    -Realtek High Definition Audio
    -My modem
    -Realtek Ethernet NIC
    -Intel 4 Series Chipset PCI Express Port
    -Intel Family USB Universal Host Controller (there are 8 of these)
    -Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for HD Audio
    -Intel Family PCI Express Root Port (three of these)
    -USB Root Hub (eight of these)

Maybe that's tied to the fact that "none" is the response from the wake_armed query?

(Thanks for keeping up with all this, btw - I'm learning as I go, and apparently committing a bunch of serious errors on the way...)
    Last edited by christo; 12-03-2008 at 04:00 PM.

Ouch, ya I woudl imagine that is a huge issue, surprised you got windows to even run for you

You key should work, as long as it is installed on only one system. You may have to activate over the net or on the phone but the call is short and the questions are simple. Just tell them you bought a new board because your old one died and answer the rest of the questions as you would expect (Installed on only One system), only activate the time before now, and........I cant remember the rest, but you will know what to say

How to Activate Windows XP in 5 Minutes or Less | Command-Tab

Here is some Phone #'s incase it does not come up for you on the activation screen >>>
    1-800-Microsoft
    1-866-234-6020
    1-800-936-5700

YOU WILL however HAVE to use your CD, as you cannot use a OEM Key on a Retail CD, they will know when you read off the activation codes to them.

So do use your old CD, you will just have to manually update the Service packs

If you want me to test and build you a slipstreamed CD I can, tell me what OEM PC brand and what XP you have and I will grab a OEM of that XP and slipstream the SP's and test install it myself, then upload it for you

About your Querys, what do you get if you enable S3 in the BIOS and wake from KB and Mouse?
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-03-2008 at 05:54 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information