Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GA-EP45-DS3L Standby Problems

Default Re: GA-EP45-DS3L Standby Problems

Hmm. Okay. I've reinstalled Windows. The CD I got was, in fact, an updated OEM from the same builder, so no big deal. I had to activate over the phone, but the person asked surprisingly few questions. Didn't ask for my specific product key, or anything. I guess they figure anyone who's pirating isn't going to be dumb enough to try to activate it over the phone.

I'm hesitant to say "problem solved," but thus far I have been able to go into S3 twice (on the same boot) and it has actually gone to sleep properly. I'm going to keep trying it. Not out of the woods, yet.

However, not ALL is well. When I come back from standby, my Realtek Audio thing still thinks that "a jack has been unplugged" (and then my sound doesn't work). I'll try installing the updated driver and see what happens.

I switched to S3 in the bios, and lo-and-behold, now S1 is the unavailable sleep state when I do the queries, with S3 as the available one. Still, no keyboard or mouse shows up in the devices that allow me to wake from sleep, which seems strange, and the system appears to shut down entirely (that is, no blinking power light or anything) -- I need to use the power button to turn it back on. Is this normal for GA boards?

Update:
    Having updated my Realtek driver, I still got the same 'unplugged jack' error after coming out of standby (which worked). After disabling the jack detection options (also, I've disconnected the front panel from the motherboard), I went into standby again (and it worked again), and it detected my headphones again. Went into standby a third time (and it worked, a third time!), and then the sound stopped working again. Annoying.

Also: I had another POST error. (Hang indefinitely before POST.) Worked fine after a reset. Any ideas as to what's causing these? As I said, they're not COMMON, but I'm concerned that they may become that way. (Sorry if you answered this already somewhere... you've given me so much advice that I probably have forgotten some of it already.)
    Last edited by christo; 12-04-2008 at 09:10 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ya, they usually dont ask much, and with Vista these days they are likely not worried much about XP anymore. I think the last one I called in only wanted the Numbers off the screen and asked how many PC's it was installed in

Ya, update that sound driver and then you still may need some BIOS tweaks to fully get it working.

S1 will not be available I dont think if you have S3 set

S3 will be shut down for sure, only the ram will have power in it to store your system state. Very unlike S1. However you should be able to resume with PS/2 KB or mouse if you have that enabled in the BIOS, but since it is not showing up in a query you may not be able to use them due to your Power supply (If it does not provide 1A on the +5VSB lead

Maybe you are coming out of S3 too quick? Post me your BIOS settings so I can have a look, since you have minor S3 issues and random BSOD's sounds like something is not stable. Run memtest overnight while you sleep to see if that is the issue while you wait on me to get back to you >>
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Oh, actually, I haven't had any BSOD's since I got this last set of RAM. I already did memtest on it a couple nights ago and it passed with no problems, but I will run it through again tonight to double check with these settings.

When I mentioned the POST errors, it's just that my system hangs (and goes nowhere) before the POST "beep" and boot sequence. But that has only happened a couple times over the last week, and it's quite rare given the amount of times the system has been booted up.

It's possible that coming out of S3 too quickly buggered the sound, but the sound stayed off after being in S3 for about an hour. (Then, after being in S3 for another two hours, it worked again after waking.) Sound driver's been updated, but I'll post my BIOS settings so you can see if there's anything fishy at work.

My power supply's a Corsair VX550W. I just double-checked the manual and it says that there's 3A on the +5VSB, so that probably isn't the problem.

BIOS settings:
    Code:
    MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
    Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto
    CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 7x
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.
    CPU Frequency ...........................: 2.33Ghz (333x7)

Clock Chip Control 
    Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Disabled] 
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 333
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:100
    C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
    CPU Clock Drive...........................: 800mV
    PCI Express Clock Drive.................: 800mV
    CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: 0ps 
    MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: 0ps 

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: [Auto]
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
    System Memory Multiplier ..............: [Auto]
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 800
    DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time........................4
    tRCD .........................................4
    tRP'...........................................4
    tRAS..........................................12

Advanced Timing Control
    tRRD...........................................3
    tWTR..........................................3
    tWR............................................6
    tRFC...........................................54
    tRTP...........................................3
    Command Rate (CMD) ....................:0

Driving Strength Profiles
    Driving Strength ............................Auto

Channel A
    Static tRead Value.........................:8
     tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
     tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
     tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto 
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto 
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps

Channel B
    Static tRead Value.........................:8
     tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
     tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
     tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto 
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto 
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps

Motherboard Voltage Control
    Voltage Type.………... Normal (I don't think I have an option, here?)
    CPU
    CPU Vcore….……….......1.11250V.....: Auto
    CPU Termination…..... 1.200V.......: Auto
    CPU PLL…………………....1.550V.......: Auto
    CPU Referen.…………....0.805V.......: Auto

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: 1.20V
    MCH Reference….…….0.760V...........; Auto
    ICH I/O……………….....1.550V............: Auto

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 2.100V

Advanced Settings
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Enabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Enabled]

Legacy USB Storage Detect..............:[Disabled]
    Update:
    Overnight memtest86+ went through with no errors with the settings above.
    Last edited by christo; 12-05-2008 at 01:58 AM.

Yeah, I tried that just now, and the problem's identical. Something about entering standby (or waking up from it, anyway) seems to mess up the audio. I think the same thing happened even when I was going into S1.

That's a real stumper, isn't it?

At any rate, thanks for all your help so far. I definitely wouldn't have been able to get this far if it weren't for everything you've helped me with up to this point.

Update:
    Gigabyte Support just suggested that I try temporarily removing any PCI devices I have, reinstalling the Realtek and Microsoft UAA Bus Driver, and then putting the parts back in. I found another forum post that suggested it was a PCI device conflict, so I'll try that and see what happens.

According to Support, this board isn't supposed to be awakened from S3 by keyboard or mouse.

Update 2:
    Ugh. I followed their instructions. The sound worked fine when my PCI wireless card was out (but, of course, I had no internet.) As soon as I reinstalled the wireless card, the problem returned. It sounds like this is more of a Realtek problem than a Gigabyte one, but either way, it looks like there isn't really a solution for it at the moment. Humbug.

Update 3:
    Flashed up to F10. I've only tried standby a couple of times, but it looks like it worked. Here's hoping nothing new or terrible pops up. Thanks again for all your help. Hopefully now we can let this thread die.
    Last edited by christo; 12-05-2008 at 01:22 PM.

According to Support, this board isn't supposed to be awakened from S3 by keyboard or mouse.
    WHAT? It is right in the BIOS.... They must be crazy! What did they expect you to wake the system with a remote control?

You could try setting a manual IRQ for your PCI card to see if that is the issue.

Ahh, sorry I reply as I read.. Looks like you may have got it right? If so, great to hear!

Thanks for the kind words, and post back anytime. And for sure please do post back in a few and let us know how you are doing with S3 and F10 and your wireless card

Re: keyboard/mouse wake up, it's possible that they are, in fact, crazy. I assume he just meant that only the power button is meant to wake it from standby. I don't really mind that, since my tower sits right next to my monitor.

Turns out I spoke too soon yesterday, and my problem is back. Although the strange thing is that this time when I came back from standby it said "windows has finished installing new devices and must restart in order for them to work" (or something like that). I assume it might have meant the audio devices? It didn't say, though.

Anyway, it looks like the only solution is to wait for an update for the drivers (Realtek, I guess), or for a BIOS update, or both. I've let Gigabyte know about the problem and will pass it on to D-Link (my wireless card) as well.

I was wondering about changing the IRQ settings, as well. I just looked in the device manager, though, and it looks as though there are no conflicts in my devices. The "Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio" has its own IRQ. The Wireless card shares one with one of the SATA controllers and USB controllers. Grumble.
    Last edited by christo; 12-06-2008 at 09:25 AM.

Ya, they must be crazy, you can use a PS/2 KB or mouse to wake the system for sure as long as you have that set in the BIOS to be enabled

Ya, Realtek drivers and Sleep do seem to often give issues and I am not sure if there will ever be a fix as they both would have to work together on the fix and that wont likely happen.

It is odd though that you are having issue at stock clocks, as most have issues only when overclocked

I think mine is ok, but not sure as I have not tested S1 or S3 for a while. I may do some testing tonight if I get time

Yeah, it certainly is a pain. I am contemplating getting another wireless card (my Dad said he'd buy me one for Christmas, hah.) Strange that a D-Link would have problems, I thought they were a pretty major brand?

But, get this, I actually just had a problem coming out of Standby, too. Hah! Maybe it's because I was in standby for over an hour, I don't know if I'd done that yet (though I'm sure I have). The fans kept going at full blast (they usually calm down after the initial start), and the system was totally unresponsive. I guess this is more in line with the problems that other people have been having?

Time to fiddle with MCH voltages, I guess. I'm gonna try operating at ed1's suggestion of 1.05V for a few days, and see if that does anything. Though I probably will be staying out of standby most of the time anyway, since it buggers my audio. Phooey.

I have seen them used in many of my customer's builds. More linksys though. I use these in alot of builds as they are cheap and work smoothly >>>

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GN-WP01GS IEEE 802.11b/g PCI Wireless Adapter Up to 54Mbps Data Rates 64/128 bit WEP, WPA, 802.1x, AES - Wireless Adapters

Ya, sounds like similar issues as other now, try less and more MCH. Plenty of settings that could be off so just dont limit your tests to MCH

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information