Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dynamic Energy Saver Advanced not saving settings!

Default Re: Dynamic Energy Saver Advanced not saving settings!

I bought it for saving! not overclocking ;)
    ... and version 1208 of DESA app also doesn't remember settings :(

If thats the new version then i had the same experience, the older version saved settings and worked like advertised

Soooo, can anyone upload version older than B8.1208.1? Or anyone knows reliable source? Because Gigabyte serves only latest one.

Hi...I had been in touch with Gigabyte tech support by email for a period of a couple of weeks after I first posted. I gave them detailed explanations and screenshots of what was going on. I am not impressed at all with their responses, as they are conflicting and they don't want to admit that their is any problems with the Dynamic Energy Saver Advanced. I gave up and uninstalled it. If I knew it would work I would probably give it another try.

See some of the "magical" highlights! :

<table class="Block_Main" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td valign="top" width="100">Answer : </td><td>We are unaware of any bugs, our team will continue further testing with the utility
    </td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" background="images/pop-bgtitle.jpg">
    Question - 691999
    </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td>From : </td><td>Scott Sanders [ scottsan@mts.net ]</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td>Sent : </td><td>12/16/2008 07:07</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td valign="top">Question : </td><td>Hi....does this mean that there is a possible bug in the DESA software? Was your team able to reproduce my results?

Thanks</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" background="images/pop-bgtitle.jpg">
    Answer - 690840
    </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td valign="top" width="100">Answer : </td><td>If there are any updates we will keep you posted
    Question - 690840
    </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td>From : </td><td>Scott Sanders [ scottsan@mts.net ]</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td>Sent : </td><td>12/13/2008 04:05</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td valign="top">Question : </td><td>I do hope you discover what the problem is. It appears to me that there is a bug in DESA software. When CPU throttling is toggled, the cpu core temps drop significantly, as well as the power usage. DESA does work well, but its a real pain that user intervention is needed to enable maximum power savings. Please let me know what you find out as soon as possible. Thanks</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" background="images/pop-bgtitle.jpg">
    Answer - 690281
    </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td valign="top" width="100">Answer : </td><td>We will submit it over to our team for further inspection</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" background="images/pop-bgtitle.jpg">
    Question - 690281
    </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td>From : </td><td>Scott Sanders [ scottsan@mts.net ]</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td>Sent : </td><td>12/12/2008 01:47</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td valign="top">Question : </td><td>Yes, I have tried testing with any other software running ...as I have mentioned in a previous email below. I had used OCCT Perestro´ka 2.0.1, and recently a BOINC screensaver. All three of these progarms load all 4 cores to 100% and DESA behaves exactly under full load. All 3 programs were tested individually...with indentical results. CPU throttling has to be toggled to see maximum power savings. Please advise. Thanks.</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" background="images/pop-bgtitle.jpg">
    Answer - 689796
    </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td valign="top" width="100">Answer : </td><td>Did you tried testing with any other software running or only when Prime95 is running
    Question - 689796
    </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td>From : </td><td>Scott Sanders [ scottsan@mts.net ]</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td>Sent : </td><td>12/11/2008 03:09</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td valign="top">Question : </td><td>The issue is this:

After a reboot, I open DESA and start prime95 and the power usage is 50 watts. When I toggle the CPU throttling from on to off to on again, I get 30 watts. Then save in stealth mode and reboot.

When I open DESA, and start prime95 the power usage is again 50 watts. Why is not 30 watts???

Why do I have to toggle cpu throttling after every reboot to see maximum power savings and cpu temperature drops. Should not a "save" in stealth mode do this?

Is the following statement on the Gigabyte website correct? :

""Even when shutting down the PC, Dynamic Energy Saver Advanced is able to store their set preferences, so they next time they boot up, DES will automatically start saving energy, without users having to do a thing. Anytime users wish to change their settings, all they have to do is open the DES utility, make their changes, and Dynamic Energy Saver will do the rest."

The DESA should show 30 watts in this case on startup with prime95 running, indicating my preferences were saved. It does not. Why does it behave like this? This is my "particular" issue.
    Answer - 688950
    </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td valign="top" width="100">Answer : </td><td>according to our team they did not see anything wrong with the utility, are there any particular issue which you are having?</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" background="images/pop-bgtitle.jpg">
    Question - 688950
    </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td>From : </td><td>Scott Sanders [ scottsan@mts.net ]</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td>Sent : </td><td>12/9/2008 11:21</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td valign="top">Question : </td><td>Hi...well I saved DESA in stealth mode with cpu throtting on...and rebooted. I start DESA....and start prime95. Power usage is 50 watts. DESA shows that its on, and cpu throttling is on, I toggle cpu throttling from on to off to on...and the power usage shows 30 watts. If I turn off DESA power is about 65 watt. If I turn DESA back on, and cpu throttling on...do a save for stealth mode...reboot....start DESA and prime 95...power is at 50 watts. CPU throttling is not being saved. Any ideas? Is this a bug in DESA?</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#fee2eb"><td valign="top">User Attached : </td><td>afterboot.jpg
    des_off.JPG
    start_prime95.JPG
    toggle_cputhrot_off.JPG
    toggle_cputhrot_on.JPG
    Answer - 687679
    </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td valign="top" width="100">Answer : </td><td>please attach us some screenshots of your test and we will run some test in our lab </td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" background="images/pop-bgtitle.jpg">
    Question - 687679
    </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td>From : </td><td>Scott Sanders [ scottsan@mts.net ]</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td>Sent : </td><td>12/6/2008 03:15</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td valign="top">Question : </td><td>Hi,

I loaded F4 bios and rebooted. This time I tried another cpu stressing program called OCCT Perestro´ka 2.0.1 found at:

Download - OCCT Website english

All 4 cores at 100% load and at default settings with no overclock.

The behavior of DESA is exactly the same....but the power usage was slightly different.

With the "DESA" button off I have 66 watts

With "DES advanced" button on, and "CPU Throttling " button off I have 52 watts

With "DES advanced" button on, and "CPU Throttling " button toggled on I have 32 watts

After a save for stealth mode, a reboot.....open the DESA...DESA shows "on", and cpu throttling is "on". I start the cpu stressing program I get 52 watts. Once cpu throttling is toggled from on to off to on....power drops to 32 watts.
    I dont think its a bios problem.

It appears to be a problem with DESA not saving the CPU throttling settings properly on a reboot.

Any suggestions on a fix?

Answer - 687259
    </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td valign="top" width="100">Answer : </td><td>Other than Prime95, any other software been tested with the same results?
    Do check the bios to see if it's the caused of your issue, try reverting back to F4

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_DownloadFile.aspx?FileType=BIOS&FileID=14034</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" background="images/pop-bgtitle.jpg">
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

More of my lovely dialogue with Gigabyte Tech Support ! :

<table class="Block_Main" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" background="http://forums.tweaktown.com/images/pop-bgtitle.jpg">
    Question - 687259
    </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td>From : </td><td>Scott Sanders [ scottsan@mts.net ]</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td>Sent : </td><td>12/5/2008 06:37</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td valign="top">Question : </td><td>Hi.... I am definitely using the advanced version from your website. In my taskbar the software is identified as GEST 1.1B8.1110.1

I set up my system with default settings with no overclock, and after a reboot I start up DES. I then start up prime 95 and nothing else. The DES Advanced is on, and cpu throttling on. I clicked the Level 3 Energy savings button.

With the "DES advanced" button off I have 62 watts

With "DES advanced" button on, and "CPU Throttling " button off I have 50 watts

With "DES advanced" button on, and "CPU Throttling " button on I have 30 watts

I then hit "x", and say yes to stealth mode.

After a reboot, I open DES advanced, start prime 95. The DES advanced button is on, and the CPU throttling is on, and I am showing 50 watts. When I toggle CPU throttling from "on" to "off" and "on" again the usage shows 30 watts. The software seems to work proprly when the cpu throtlling is toggled. This has to be done after every reboot to see the energy savings. Although the cpu throttling button shows that it is on after a reboot...its seems that its not set.... and is actually off.

I hope this clears things up.

I think this is a software bug...or do you think it could be hardware?

How is this fixed? Any other suggestions? Thanks

</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" background="http://forums.tweaktown.com/images/pop-bgtitle.jpg">
    Answer - 686709
    </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td valign="top" width="100">Answer : </td><td>You are certain you are using the advanced version downloaded off our website?
    Do not have any other applications running in the background except for this utility
    Leave all settings on the system to default without any overclocking being performed
    </td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" background="http://forums.tweaktown.com/images/pop-bgtitle.jpg">
    Question - 686709
    </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td>From : </td><td>Scott Sanders [ scottsan@mts.net ]</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td>Sent : </td><td>12/4/2008 04:04</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td valign="top">Question : </td><td>Hi...according to information on the gigabyte website at:

-- GIGABYTE -- Dynamic Energy Saver Advanced - Ultra Durable 2 Motherboards

It says: "Even when shutting down the PC, Dynamic Energy Saver Advanced is able to store their set preferences, so they next time they boot up, DES will automatically start saving energy, without users having to do a thing. Anytime users wish to change their settings, all they have to do is open the DES utility, make their changes, and Dynamic Energy Saver will do the rest."

So...what is going on? The Gigabyte website says the Dynamic Energy Saver Advanced is supposed to save the settings on a reboot, and you are saying it doesnt. Which is correct?

Answer - 686371
    </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td valign="top" width="100">Answer : </td><td>On an reboot it will reset the settings, the software is not program to save the settings on reboot
    Question - 686371
    </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td>From : </td><td>Scott Sanders [ scottsan@mts.net ]</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td>Sent : </td><td>12/3/2008 11:36</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td valign="top">Question : </td><td>Hi....I went into msconfig and disabled all startup items and rebooted. I started up prime 95, and my CPU temps are 65 58 57 and 65, with the power usage at 118 watts. When I enable the DES andvanced and turn on cpu throttling, the temps are 55 49 49 and 55, and 76 watts power. When I hit "X" to close, and select "yes" to stealth mode...reboot...start prime 95.... the cpu temps are still between 57 and 65. They drop once again when I toggle cpu throttling.

This is a fresh install. DES is not saving its settings. Is there any way to fix this? Does DES have a command line? Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" background="http://forums.tweaktown.com/images/pop-bgtitle.jpg">
    Answer - 684519
    </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td valign="top" width="100">Answer : </td><td>was the OS a fresh clean installation on this system and do you have any other application running in the background?
    Test with them disable and only have just the DES utility running
    Question - 684519
    </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td>From : </td><td>Scott Sanders [ scottsan@mts.net ]</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td>Sent : </td><td>11/28/2008 11:39</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td valign="top">Question : </td><td>I am having problems with the Dynamic Energy Saver (DES) advanced software version GEST 1.1.B8.1110.1 . The behavior of the program is the same at the stock Q6600 frequency of 2.4 GHz, or when overclocked.

I have the CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) and CPU EIST
    Function items in the BIOS Setup program set to "Enabled".

After a reboot I run a memory intensive program (prime 95) that loads all 4 cores of my q6600 to 100%. I start the DES, and it shows I am using about 110 watts. When I turn the DES button on, and turn on the CPU throttling button it shows about 66 watts. When I hit the "x" to close, I enter "yes" to stealth mode that says that the DES will turn off completely but hardware based energy saving functions will stay in effect.

I am monitoring my CPU core temps, and they drop from about 54 to 61C to 46 to 52C with DES enabled. The issue is when I reboot. Its as if the DES settings are reset.

When I start prime 95 again, and open DES...all the DES settings are as had them before the reboot. My power usage is at 110 watts again. If I toggle the CPU throttling button from off to back on again the power usage drops to 67 watts again.

What is going on here? Why do I have to go into DES every time get it work properly by toggling the CPU throttling button. This motherboard is less than a month old. Can you please help me with this problem?

Thanks

Scott Sanders

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Model Name : GA-EP45-UD3P(rev. 1.0)
    --------------------------
    M/B Rev : 1.0
    BIOS Ver : F5
    Serial No. :
    Purchase Dealer : ncix.com
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    VGA Brand : GIGABYTE Model : GV-R485MC-1GH
    CPU Brand : Intel Model : q6600 Speed : 2.4 GHz
    Operation System : Win XP SP : 3
    Memory Brand : Corsair Type : SDRAM
    Memory Size : 4 GB Speed : DDR-1066
    Power Supply : 750 W

</td></tr></tbody></table>
    Last edited by scottsan; 01-01-2009 at 02:49 PM. Reason: removed board serial number

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

So why do you want a older version? Newer would likely work best if it was going to work properly. I can try to find you a old one, if you know which you think works let me know and I will look around.

As for Saving EIST and C1E will save you $$ anyway, DES just lets you keep track is all

Hi...that was someone else asking for an older version. I would like a "new" version that works as Gigabyte claims it does.

The Dynamic Energy Saver Advanced does more than keep track of $$$. It "substantially" lowered my core temps by roughly 10 degrees C when it was running. The huge issue was that on a reboot my temps were high again until a toggle of cpu throttling.

I asked for older version because I assumed the older was the working one:

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedEuphoria View Post
    If thats the new version then i had the same experience, the older version saved settings and worked like advertised
    Now I see that 1110 was the same. Nevermind.
    Gigabyte brags about this wonderful function but after I read your dialogue it seems like they never chcecked or tried to reproduce this conditions or even know anything more than we can read from the manual.
    Error keeps repeating and they keep on saying they aren't aware of it. Not very professional.

Yeah the 1st version I had from the CD that my UD3P came with worked fine, it would reboot and still have saved settings(DES would be On and throttling also enabled). My CPU is an E8400 so that may have some to do with it?

The newest version that i downloaded would not save the settings, as when I rebooted I would have to turn DES On and enable throttling every time.

I RMA'd my board since under low power, I would get a very slight high pitched noise from the chokes I believe(only if you listen closely with the case open could it be heard), when DES was enabled the High pitched noise was very noticeable with the case closed even from a distance from the computer. When the CPU throttled up the noise would go away. It was like the board could not handle running on 1-2 phases of power for me
    Last edited by SpeedEuphoria; 01-02-2009 at 08:26 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information