Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GA P35C-DS3R bios and no overclock holding

Default Re: GA P35C-DS3R bios and no overclock holding

Okay well here's the update I promised. If I go into the bios, unplug the power then plug it back in and power on then set the oc then it'll remember the oc for awhile but after a couple of power cycles it'll clear it again :(

I'll try that pcie voltage bump described above.
    Last edited by z0mbi3; 11-30-2008 at 06:48 AM.

My point was that "Auto" appears to truncate some settings - so Auto and Manual might appear the same, but in some cases are not the same. (An additional classic scenario to this would be the Strap assigned to a multiplier - ie you will not know what strap Auto has assigned to a multiplier, ie A,B,C,D or +,#,~) What you don't say is if there are any settings that will work manually, like an underclock for instance that I mentioned a few posts back.

I also pointed out that the Bios will revert back to "Auto" settings if it encounters something manually set it doesn't like.
    At the moment you seem to be happy working with very little information

Edit:-
    I'm surprised that it's not showing any other problems, ie in memtest, prime95, graphics benchmark with everything back to Auto (that it reverts to). Seeing that Auto is it's self defence routine, which it does in regard to poor manual settings vs hardware - it might still well boot on Auto, but still clearly have a fault, that isn't great enough for it not to boot at all.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 11-30-2008 at 08:00 AM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Vorlon, I don't think you understand what I'm getting at. Every other setting, manual or otherwise can be adjusted without issue. It's just the fsb on the cpu that acts up. I could down clock it or overclock it and it would still act the same way (that is to say restarting and clearing the settings) . I can even decrease the multiplier but leave the clock control at auto and it will still save and work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by VorLonUK View Post
    like an underclock for instance that I mentioned a few posts back.
    I thought I'd made this clear, it doesn't matter what fsb the cpu is set at, if it's anything other than auto it kicks up a fuss.

I'm not happy to work with little info, I just don't want my thread getting trashed with talk of other settings when I've already discounted them as an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by z0mbi3 View Post
    Vorlon, I don't think you understand what I'm getting at. Every other setting, manual or otherwise can be adjusted without issue. It's just the fsb on the cpu that acts up. I could down clock it or overclock it and it would still act the same way (that is to say restarting and clearing the settings) . I can even decrease the multiplier but leave the clock control at auto and it will still save and work fine.

I thought I'd made this clear, it doesn't matter what fsb the cpu is set at, if it's anything other than auto it kicks up a fuss.

I'm not happy to work with little info, I just don't want my thread getting trashed with talk of other settings when I've already discounted them as an issue.
    I fully understand, but I hadn't seen where you had said you had say attempted to run and test (memtest) on an underclocked FSB - appologies for that.

It was this comment that got me wondering about the Ram:
    As sods law would have it when I did a quick restart before bed last night to check that it was still working it restarted itself during the memory count bit and reverted back to stock settings.
    I was trying to discount from the equation anything memory related by making sure that was definately ok with several passes of memtest - even with the system residing back at Auto!.

Then more focus could have been put on the changing over of your Graphics card.

Have you tried going back to the F11 bios (i know the problem showed up before the bios upgrade), as the F12e is beta and has it's focus on all the latest CPU's.

Edit:-

Regardless of the bios "problems", does your new 4670 work as it should? Have you compared your 3dmark, 05, 06, vantage scores etc?
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 11-30-2008 at 10:02 PM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

I've given the card a fair run in Tf2, Vampyre Story on Windows and Compiz effects under linux. Based on that it's performing fine. I don't really have any reason to assume it's faulty.

I'll go with f11 a try now.

The only other thing I could think to try that I haven't yet would be to stick the old card back in. It's only suffering memory errors so I'd be able to work out the right key presses and see if it behaves the same way.

Whilst in windows, have you used HWmonitor to "record" you minimum and maximum voltages when you are playing say TF2, just to see if anything voltage wise is dipping too low with the new card.

I also find Egosoft's X3tc Rolling Demo shows up system problems and you can use HWmonitor whilst you run it.
    EGOSOFT Downloads X: Terran Conflict Demos

I'll try to give that a go if I get a chance tomorrow.

I tried f11, thought I'd got somewhere but when I left the machine off for awhile it did it again :(

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I actually have some good news *touches wood*.

I put the 3870 back in, it was memory artifacting very badly but I was able to navigate and set my bios settings using it without issue. When I saved the changes, the machine offed itself then restarted, this time holding the overclock. What I did then was went into the bios straight away, turned off the machine and put the 4670 back in and now it appears to be working fine!

I don't want to get ahead of myself and I'll truly be satisfied once I power on tomorrow and it's still working, but on first impressions it looks like I've cracked it. I tried leaving it off for 20 mins and it was still holding when I powered back on.

Now I'm no novice when it comes to these things, but I'm stumped for an explanation as to why this has worked.

Oh and I'd just like to add that my girlfirned apparently said I should try the above all along.

Anyway here hopes I'm not posting back here tomorrow with a sad face!

Spoke to soon :(

edit:

So I'm confused as to what this means. It works with the old card but not with the new one, the only major difference between the two cards is that the 3870 takes a pci-e power cable from the psu where as the 4670 only takes it from the pci-e slot.

Does that mean it's a power issue, a motherboard issue or a video card issue? Is it possible the old card was drawing less from the pci-e slot on account of it taking power straight from the psu?
    Last edited by z0mbi3; 12-02-2008 at 03:58 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information