Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte EX58 Extreme refusing to post

Default Gigabyte EX58 Extreme refusing to post

Hi everyone, I recently built a core i7 computer, which was working perfectly until recently. It now seems that the computer is refusing to post, with the computer rebooting when the bios reaches the 'Memory testing: (no further text)' line. The computer will then be locked in a continual reboot cycle, reaching the memory test each time. I am quite certain that there is nothing wrong with the memory, as I had it tested and returned by my retailer. The problem has gone away once but has now returned. I am at a loss as to what is going on and I am finding this rather frustrating, so any help would be much appreciated. BTW I am using the F2 version bios. I thought of updating it, but since I can't even get the computer to post this is not possible.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Gigabyte EX58 Extreme refusing to post

Can you get in the BIOS at all? If so, make sure performance enhance is set to standard if there is a setting such as that.

If not, try with only one stick of ram in, and if no luck try again with one stick after you clear the CMOS

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I can't get into the bios. I tried your suggestions and they didn't fix it (tried with each of the three ram sticks, so it doesn't look like a memory fault).

I guess then it's looking like a problem with either the motherboard or CPU?

Just to follow up, I have found someone on another forum who reports a similar problem: "it does this weird thing where it starts for a second then shuts down, then starts again and then it will try and post then repost another time and finally I get a beep and away we go but all my settings seem to stay and work fine..." However, in his case waiting seems to remedy the problem. This does not seem to be the case for me.

Did you try to clear CMOS at the back of the boad ?

My system do same if find some bios settings it no like, with power to motherboard but system not in the booting loop, press clear cmos button on the back 10 sec, must get you back to stock settings.
    Also update bios to F3 if get it back working :)
    Vista Ultimate 64 SP1
    Gigabyte X58 Extreme Bios F3 | Corsair HX1000W |
    i7 920 stock heatsink| Corsair TR3X6G1600C9 2GBX6 |ATI 4870 830/1000|Vraptor 300|Antec 900

Clearing the CMOS worked this time, though oddly enough it didn't work for me last time I had this problem. I'll update this thread if it reccurs again.

Same here, endless reboot loop (bad OC I guess) is fixed by the clear CMOS button.

I noticed clear CMOS also fixes my blank display problem after resume from S3 sleep. Sometimes I have to do clear it several times for it to work though, and I can't pinpoint what setting is doing this...
    Windows 7 Pro 64 | OCZ Vertex 120 | Cosmos S
    Gigabyte P67A-UD5-B3 (F6) | Enermax Revolution85+ 1050w
    i7 2600k | 2x4 GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 | EVGA GTX570 SC
    Apogee XT | Magicool 360 Radiator | MCP35x Pump + v.2 Res

Interesting. I have the same problem -- THe fans spin up (at low speed), the cpu used lights up, and then several seconds later it "shuts off", and repeats.

However, I've never seen a BIOS screen, or anything! Not even a "beep" from the speaker -- so I've not been able to even attempted overclocking. I've tried to reset the BIOS several times. I've swapped the mobo and the power supply and the memory - behavior is identical. CPU is next. :( :(

Until I saw this post I was convinced it was the CPU, now I'm nervous there is something more subtle going on.

Not even at first base. This is the EX58-UD3R board. But perhaps this is something in the series?

I have a similar situation - but I think that i have found a solution (which is not confirmed).

I am building a machine for a client of mine. I had some initial problems with the card but that was because of a bad nvidia 9800 GTX+ card (made by Gigabyte itself).

I replaced it with a BFG 9800 GTX+ card and it worked fine. I was able to install the OS.

I take the machine to the client's site and it does the same thing there - it comes up and after 15 seconds or so, it shuts down. It does this repeatedly.

If I wait 15 - 20 minutes, clear the BIOS and reboot, it boots up for 15 seconds or so and then shuts down. I tried this a few times and then gave up.

Came back to my home office and hooked it back up again and it works fine. This got me thinking and then I remembered something.

At the client's site the computer was plugged into an outlet that had multiple outlets - and two LEDs - one for "protected" (protected GFCI outlet), and the other for "grounded".

And I recall that the "grounded" amber LED was flickering - to me, that implies that it is not properly grounded.

For the circuitry that we are dealing with nowadays, this "not properly grounded" could be a problem.

I am going to verify if this is an issue and post it here again.

Sandip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information