Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: x48-DS5 + Q9550 stability and overclock help!

Default Re: x48-DS5 + Q9550 stability and overclock help!

get a second one and go crossfire!

your CPU, MOBO and ram will not slow your gaming down nearly as much as your graphics card will...double her up on crossfire!
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5
    Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.775GHz
    4gigs Dominator PC2-8500-C5
    Gigabyte GV-R485OC-1GH Radeon HD 4850
    WD VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS
    Zalman CNPS9700 CPU cooler
    Antec Three Hundred

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

What card do you have? It should not really be holding your overclock back or making things fails (Aside from a Graphic test maybe, but not orthos/prime)

well if u game in high res, you should have bought a card with one gig of ram on it instead of 512mb. but anyhow trust me, if you are not happy with your gaming performance it is your GPU,,, NOT your cpu, mobo, ram holding your FPS down. especially if you have everything (but your GPU) overclocked and running stable on 10 runs of intel burn test.

i'm now up to 3.775 GHz on my processor which puts our ram @ 1066 on the same strap in my first post. i also moved up to extreme mode. even with all that, i still pass 10 runs of intel burn test and my highest CPU temp is 68c. our mobos, cpu's and ram are rock solid!!

you need to press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC and click on the performance tab. make the window big to see a larger graph. then start gaming, wait till some intense action happens and your FPS drops. hit ALT+TAB while your in the game and you'll pop back out to your desktop. look at the graphs of your 4 cores and physical memory. you will see they are not even close to being pegged at 100%. this means your gpu is holding you down.

you can only get so much out of a stock GPU cooler. mine came with a zalman heatsink and fan mounted on it and i still only expect to get about a 5% max over clock on it. gpu's do not over clock as easy as intel CPU's with custom coolers on them.

stablize your CPU, RAM, and MoBO and check with 10 runs of intelburn test. once you prove thats all stable THEN tweak your GPU untill your games crash....find the peek of your GPU. but remember, you can always go crossfire! i plan on it!!
    Last edited by SooperHOP; 12-03-2008 at 09:06 AM.
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5
    Antec Three Hundred

also what temps are you getting when you stress test you CPU??

my zalman 9700 is keeping me just under 70c at 3.775GHz. 70c is the max i'm willing to take it, i set my bios to beep at 70c. all the temp gauges i've used have me at 70 to 73 max temp, but i think they are 4 to 5 deg over the real temp since i'v heard no beeps yet.
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5
    Antec Three Hundred

one last thing to chris,, for us gamers who have vista with SP1 you MUST disable "superfetch" in services.msc.

start, run, type: "services.msc" (no quotes)

then scroll down to superfetch, right click on it and choose disable. apply and reboot.

it makes a HUGE difference in gaming performance, at least it did for me:)
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5
    Antec Three Hundred

Thanks for the good info SooperHOP! Great to have a gamer around to help a little, as I do not game myself

no problem lsdme. he has practically the same rig as me and i was curious if he could get the same results as me or better.

also for any future posts you read from people who are unhappy with their rigs performance, it may just be superfetch. i went from 8 to 10MBs of free ram to 2,580MBs of free ram when i disabled it. gamers need their free ram and i'm sure other ram intensive programs would benifit from disabling superfetch. i've seen no performance gain in everyday use when it is turned on, but a HUGE performance gain while gaming when it is turned off. the supposed 2 to 4 nano seconds you save loading common programs like excel or word when superfetch is turned on, is not worth the suffering ram intensive programs like games will take with it on.

more on superfetch here:
    VistaFAQs.com - Why does Vista use all my memory?

also, i must add lsdme, everytime i read your name and see your avatar my jaw gets that funny feeling!! i use to be a deadhead back in the 80's and early 90's!! for me, i always knew it was starting when my jaw would start feeling funny...LOL!

Soop (looks like murphy's irish stout to me!! hhhmmmmm!!)
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5
    Antec Three Hundred

Hmm, you make me want to test with mine disabled! I dont game, but sounds like it could be better anyway.

Like the avatar eh! Me too! Had some just like it few years back. I love that "Hear it comes" feeling!

OK so my pc passes 10 runs of the Intel Burn test. during the test , the highest temp i seen was 69C , so my temps are fine. ram must be good. it seems to be this video card. strangely here is another issue i noticed. the 4850 is on the defaults configuration, while using fraps to keep track of my FPS, i noticed that after awhile anywhere from 2-6 mins my FramRate drops dramatically.
    example: while playing fallout 3 max settings accept for AA, it at 4x ; my frame rate originally starts out at 60fps, about 3-10 mins latter or so, it drops almost in half to about 30fps. not sure if this is the game or my card.
    is there a program out there that can test video cards ?
    besides something like 3dmark?
    not sure if this is normal for it. iam going to try some other games see if they do the same to it.
    one thing also to make note is that , even if i try to OC the 4850 slighty it hangs during the game. i should be able to get more out of it given that my temps are really good. also with the ATI auto tune and ATI gpu test, they pass when OC. Very bizzare.

Your help has been so appriciated so far. thanks again!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information