Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vista on an x48-dq6

Default vista on an x48-dq6

well hello everyone! i recently setuped a new rig :
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Box
    GIGABYTE GA-EX48-DQ6 rev 1.1
    Corsair DDR2 4096MB (2048MBx2) 800Mhz CL 4-4-4-12 DHX
    ‏SEAGATE 500GB 7200RPM, 32MB, SATA II‎
    Sapphire RADEON HD 4870 512MB PCIe
    ASUS DRW-2014L1T X20 DVD
    LG GSA-H42N DVDRW
    COOLER MASTER 690
    COOLER MASTER 620w Real Power Modular PSU
    Cooler Master Hyper TX2
    Samsung 22" 2253BW 2ms LCD
    Logitech G5 Laser Mouse New Design

and i got a few problems may u heard about it or can help me solve it.
    everytime i use my vista installation DVD, it boots to the setup, and each screen takes like 3- 4 min to load, from where i click ok on the language till when i activate vista.

after the installation everything works well,

i started to read a guide on how to make me a vista boot usb so i can install stright from usb, for some reason i can't seem to boot to any usb hdd no matter what i try, which is odd.

any help would be appriciated.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: vista on an x48-dq6

USB Install? Sounds like that would be slower, and likely not possible anyway. Not sure what you meant by that though.

You can boot from a Bootable USB Stick by hitting F12 at startup (With your USB Stick already plugged in) and then choose hard drive, then on the next screen you choose your USB Stick by name.

But again that would have to be a Bootable USB Stick, made by you. USB Sticks are not bootable until you make them that way. And doing so would have nothing to do with installing vista

Sounds like you have vista installed now anyway so you are all good

You should set some MCH Voltage (1.24-1.28) and set your ram voltage manually, set performance enhance to standard and you should be good to go unless you want to set all your settings

As to why your DVD takes so long, maybe you have incorrect SATA Settings? Native should be enabled for SATA DVD drives, do you not have that set?

If not, what type of DVD drives (IDE/SATA) do you have and where do you have them connected on the board

ok, firstly what i meant is that i created a USB KEY with VISTA on it, so i can boot to it and it should take few min from the installation.
    i wanted to say that when i hit f12 to boot to the usb key, nothing happens and it doesn't care what port i use.

2nd, i corrected all sata and tried to boot of several DVDs, from 2 different drives, all the dvds work great on different pcs, only on mine
    it is simply awfuly slow.

besides that, i have random crashes on vista, after reinstalled the OS, when all i did was installing the cd i got with drivers for the board.
    just for calrification when i bought the PC it worked well, and only now it started fluking.

i wonder if the board got defective, cause @ 1st it simply worked no questions asked, and now i have to change settings to make it work if even.

weird as hell, appriciate any insight yall got.

thanks in advance,

I am still kinda lost I guess? Never heard of a Vista USB Key?

Did you leave the USB Stick in, press F12 then hard drive, then select your USB Stick by name?

If you did that, then your USB device is not bootable. I'd have to see your method of what this is and what it is supposed to do to tell you more. Got a link to explain what it is you are trying to do and maybe I can help more?

Hmm, well it could be dying ram or some other hardware failing causing issues. Are you sure your ram settings are correct for 4GB? Have you ran memtest86+ on each stick one by one lately to be sure neither is going bad?

*EDIT*

I found this about Vista USB Key >>
    http://kurtsh.spaces.live.com/blog/c...38D!1665.entry

So I know what you mean now, sorry about my confusion. So if you did that or similar your USB Stick may just not be bootable is why it wont boot. Outlined in this post is the only way I know to make USB Sticks bootable >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

So you may try that, then copy over the vista files and see if that helps you any, but I kinda doubt doing things in this manner will help much as vista installs pretty fast as is and a USB header has to be much slower. I install vista in about 10-12 minutes on my setups
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-02-2008 at 11:49 PM.

I know this isn't going to help, or it may. I had that same problem with the Vista install. I did not have the patience to go through all those screens at that pace.

The answer is in the BIOS. You need to disable something. I did. I just can't remember what.

Sorry
    Nothing is impossible... Just mathematically improbable..

"The best defense against computer viruses might not even be antivirus software, but a crafty combination of education and common sense."

Intel Pentium e5200 @ 3.8HZ (380 X 10)
    Giga-byte GA-EP35-DS3L
    Mushkin 4GB DDR2 800 @ 760MHZ 4-4-3-10 @ +0.3v
    SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
    Seagate 160GB @ 7200rpm
    SB Audigy2
    Corsair 520HX
    Super Antec Lanboy
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit RTM
    Acer AL2216Wbd 22"

i see, the thing is my friend has the exactly same board, same bios and his works fine, but he as well can't boot from usb drive.
    but windows screens works fine on his PC, weird as hell.
    i think my board is defected, and i will demand them to replace it with a new 1 and make all checks.

i guess that's my only way....

or is it :) ?

USB MUST be a Bootable Stick with a System/system files installed onto it. Then you must use F12 as described above and choose hard drive, then your usb device. BIOS settings per boot order/priority do not matter

Make a USB Memtest stick and see if you can boot that

that's exactly what i did, and it doesn't boot from it, i think i have a problem with the mobo, another fault i found is that if PC is going into sleep mode, it doesn't fire back up, i need to d/c the power cable and reconnect for it to work, if i don't it starts firing and goes quite again and again untill i d/c it.

beside the lag i have when booting from a CD XP/VISTA takes alot of time to load each sreen like a hugh delay, weird as hell.

Are you sure you are doing it correctly? You do not copy the files onto the USB At all that "Look" to be missing when you make the System file format on it.

Just checking, as I see MANY Users have issues making one for some reason and some never seem to be able to get it correctly done. Not saying you cannot, just asking if you think you are sure you are doing it right

S3 Sleep issues are due to old BIOS or incorrect ram settings for sure.

Not sure about your delays as you never answered me about your Disk controller settings, mind posting a pic of Integrated Peripherals Page of your BIOS?

As Lsdme, says further up in the thread, there were problems with some SATA drives and in what way they were setup, ie Legacy, Native, AHCI mode.

I have several bootable CD's that will only boot from my IDE Dvd drive and not my SATA dvd one when in AHCI mode - except when the bootable CD' has a newer boot loader (linux) and then it will work in AHCI mode. In all scenario's the IDE drive works without a hitch. There is more about this on the Microsoft website.

I really can't see the point of using a Usb stick.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information