Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Vista msahci.sys or...

Default Vista msahci.sys or...

I just changed my bois to the above referenced AHCI driver for my sata drives using this method:

Error message when you start a Windows Vista-based computer after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive: "STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

All is well, but I'm wondering if this is the best driver. Gigabyte has the sataraid drivers here (bottom of page):

GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - Driver - GA-EP45-UD3R (rev. 1.0)

But I'm not really sure if this is what I want. Is msahci.sys the best driver, and if not, where do I obtain the best driver?

Thanks,
    Vanderman

System Specs:
    GA-EP45-UD3R
    Q9550
    8GB DDR2
    Seagate sata drives
    Vista Ultimate 64 bit

Default Re: Vista msahci.sys or...

Has that board got ICH10r and GB sata aka Jmicron JMB363 (1xide 2xsata purple ports)?

If you upgrade to the latest Intel matrix storage driver, then you'll have intel driver and it's console looking after AHCI on the ICH10R

On the GB SATA driver, if it's still Jmicron then you have two choices. Either use the GB packed Jmicron driver, or get the latest driver straight from Jmicron.
    Last time I installed the Jmicron driver, it gave you an option for IDE or Sata(ahci) driver install.
    Seeing that the only IDE item i have attached is one of my DVD drives, I tried installing the Jmicron ide driver, although it might have been more suited to an ide hard drive. I didn't notice any difference though in performance etc - although I could see the updated driver in dev manager.

Also, the Intel matrix release notes are worth reading, as intel list all the outstanding bugs that need to be fixed, aswell as those already sorted. So you can take your pick as to update or not. Although their latest matrix drivers have fixed a benchmark utility for me (3dmark vantage), whereas the last few releases have been buggy and I've been using the 7 series for sometime.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Vanderman, i had a similar problem. there is a registry fix for your problem. i tried it and it works, simple and easy. now my drives are hot swapable and bootable in AHCI mode. read my posts in this thread:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/vista-achi-mode-28797/
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5
    Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.775GHz
    4gigs Dominator PC2-8500-C5
    Gigabyte GV-R485OC-1GH Radeon HD 4850
    WD VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS
    Zalman CNPS9700 CPU cooler
    Antec Three Hundred

Hi VorLonUK. Thank you for your remarks.

Quote Originally Posted by VorLonUK View Post
    Has that board got ICH10r and GB sata aka Jmicron JMB363 (1xide 2xsata purple ports)?
    Yes:

http://members.cox.net/mlakeman/Devmgr_controllers.JPG

I do have the Gsata ports enabled (ahci), but as of now, I'm only using that to connect drives via a front sata port panel, so most of the time, it's empty. the properties do show JMicron Technology Corp as the driver provider.

I installed the latest Gigabyte chipset package (at the link in my OP) after the Vista 64 install.

If you upgrade to the latest Intel matrix storage driver, then you'll have intel driver and it's console looking after AHCI on the ICH10R

Also, the Intel matrix release notes are worth reading, as intel list all the outstanding bugs that need to be fixed, aswell as those already sorted. So you can take your pick as to update or not. Although their latest matrix drivers have fixed a benchmark utility for me (3dmark vantage), whereas the last few releases have been buggy and I've been using the 7 series for sometime.
    Given that I am not using RAID, but only AHCI, Do you think it worthwhile to use the Intel drivers? I've read the list of bugs, of which only one or two impact non-RAID setups, but really have nothing to compare to (i.e., haven't seen a bug list for msahci.sys). But is there a gain in switching to the intel drivers? I won't bother if the gain is minimal.

Thanks,
    Vanderman

Quote Originally Posted by SooperHOP View Post
    Vanderman, i had a similar problem. there is a registry fix for your problem. i tried it and it works, simple and easy. now my drives are hot swapable and bootable in AHCI mode. read my posts in this thread:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/vista-achi-mode-28797/
    Hi SooperHOP,
    Thanks for the link. I have already enabled the AHCI drivers, as per the MS link in my 1st post, which correlates with your link. I also have a previous post here:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/sata-jumper-ud3-28711/

At any rate, I'm really just trying to determine if it's worth installing the Intel drivers for my sata controller (to which I have 4 HDs [incl. boot drive] and one DVD connected). Seems as though it is, but I'm not sure that AHCI gives much gain over just leaving the bios at IDE.

I enabled AHCI for my Gsata controllers a few days ago, and have only an Akasa front sata port panel attached, which I use to hot swap drives (handy front access).

I've only had AHCI for the sata controller enabled for an hour, so I haven't really had time to determine any gains.

Vanderman

Given that I am not using RAID, but only AHCI, Do you think it worthwhile to use the Intel drivers? I've read the list of bugs, of which only one or two impact non-RAID setups, but really have nothing to compare to (i.e., haven't seen a bug list for msahci.sys). But is there a gain in switching to the intel drivers? I won't bother if the gain is minimal.

Thanks,
    Vanderman
    I use my ICH9r in AHCI mode and Not raid, so my setup is probably similiar to yours.

With the Intel Matrix storage drivers (windows) you do get the Intel Console, which doesn't really tell you a lot. It seems it's more useful if you use a Raid array. In ahci mode it does give you a bit of feedback.

The way I see it is Vista 64 is still maturing and it is probably worth using the Intel matrix driver if you are having a problem.
    Saying that though, as per my comments above, I stayed with the 7 series because 3dmark Vantage would lock up (known problem) with all the 8 series of the driver until this latest release.
    But i must admit I've not been that impressed with Intel software. Checking to see if the early 8 series worked as they were being released with 3dmark vantage, showed up some other weird aspects. Between driver releases, advanced options for the hard drives (as there are now 2 for Vista - dev manager) in regard to cacheing options changed between releases, or were "greyed out"

Those options are:-
    1) Enable write caching on the disk,
    & now with vista
    2) Enable advanced performance (ideally for use with a UPS)

Through all my testing though and I made two images of my system with Acronis true image Backup software for data backup and disaster recovery in Windows and Linux - Acronis (1 - Pre AHCI 2 - Post AHCI)

The only significant difference I found in performance (ahci) was a boost of around 30% when performing the "Burst test" in HDtach or HDtune.
    I did find the Microsoft AHCI drivers to be pretty good.
    On my next clean install, I might skip my created images and do a clean install using just the Microsoft drivers and see how things go. I'll then create an Image, which is always handy to have. Having all the basic drivers installed ie Intel chipset driver, Graphics, Audio and lan drivers and then a image created, makes a quick an easy base to restore in the event of corruption/virus/hard drive failure etc...
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Quote Originally Posted by VorLonUK View Post
    I use my ICH9r in AHCI mode and Not raid, so my setup is probably similiar to yours.

Through all my testing though and I made two images of my system with Acronis true image Backup software for data backup and disaster recovery in Windows and Linux - Acronis (1 - Pre AHCI 2 - Post AHCI)

I did find the Microsoft AHCI drivers to be pretty good.

On my next clean install, I might skip my created images and do a clean install using just the Microsoft drivers and see how things go. I'll then create an Image, which is always handy to have. Having all the basic drivers installed ie Intel chipset driver, Graphics, Audio and lan drivers and then a image created, makes a quick an easy base to restore in the event of corruption/virus/hard drive failure etc...
    Thanks, VorLonUK, for your replies. I also read a few of your postings via the link that SooperHOP posted. I appreciate the thorough yet concise answers. Given what you've posted and what I've read via other sources, I think I'll see how the vista drivers fare.

As for Acronis, I've been a TI user since TI7. I have about 10 'progressive' images for the set up on this machine. In fact, I just upgraded to TI 2009 this weekend. I was surprised to see that it listed 29 images on my Acronis drive (for multiple machines and partitions) As you imply, they are valuable beyond measure.

Thanks again for your prompt and helpful comments.

Vanderman

Thread Information