Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EP45-UD3R No bios access & no full post

Default EP45-UD3R No bios access & no full post

New EP45-UD3R build with Q9550 and 2 sticks of 2 GB Kingston value RAM 800 DDR2, along with a Video Card 4850 also by Gigabyte, plus a 600 watt ps

Power on and get the nice colorful option screen along with one beep. Lights flash on keyboard, and everything looks right - pushed the delete key and nothing happened. It is like the keyboard is frozen out.

After a number of hours - everything has been unplugged from the MB - now we only have the video card, which has been reseated, the cpu, which also has been reseated, and the power-on plugs along with RAM. The RAM has gone down to one stick from 2 and has been switched out with other identical RAM. Battery has been removed along with power cord countless times and same problem - push delete upon stating and nothing happens. Have also shorted out the BIOS to no good end. Two other keyboards were tried including a USB KB. Also put in another video card to the same lack of result.

The start up screen also provides a number of keyboard selections and none of those work either. The CPU LED are always pegged in the double red.

If the KB is not touched, on start up, post might start and then switches over to bad checksum in CMOS screen and hangs there with the countdown of seconds just stalling. (Any key pushed accomplishes nothing.) Or it just may restart itself from the splash screen a time or two.

Or once in a while it will start post and hang up at ACPI Controller.

There are only three things that have not been replaced in the testing - Power Supply, CPU and Motherboard. I am leaning toward the motherboard as being broken unless anyone else has reason to suspect the CPU or power supply from the details provided.

Note: This MB has never gotten to BIOS and has never posted. It simply freezes beforehand.

Your thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Default Re: EP45-UD3R No bios access & no full post

newer video card seem to have little problem .... try an old video card
    try none usb keyboard
    also start up with one ram only ... see if you can get to bios ...

that is all i can think off ... best of luck

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ya if you cannot access the BIOS with a PS/2 keyboard and or a Older GFX card then you may need a new board as the BIOS bootblock sounds corrupted from what you say about the Bad checksum. But you should see that error after you clear the CMOS, which you have done. But on that screen you should be able to choose a setting which you cannot right?

Have you tried a PS/2 keyboard?

Have you tried with the minimum hardware and see if you can load the BIOS? That would be CPU/Heatsink, one stick of ram, GFX Card, and a PS/2 Keyboard... NOTHING Else. This is to rule out faulty hardware such as a bad Hard drive or CD Drive stopping the system from booting. I would try this out of the case, on a box or wooden table

Quote Originally Posted by godto View Post
    newer video card seem to have little problem .... try an old video card
    try none usb keyboard
    also start up with one ram only ... see if you can get to bios ...

that is all i can think off ... best of luck
    Thank you godto. These are good trouble shooting suggestions. I did try an older PCI video card and also dropped down to one stick of ram and switched ram out. Also tried 2 different non usb keyboards.

After looking through some other threads, I am trying the "long bios reset" - the battery is pulled, there is no power to the board and a jumper is installed on the BIOS reset pins...

Will let this sit for a few hours and have fingers crossed!

Lsdmeasap -

Thank you. I have tried all you suggested with the exception of ancient video card -I do have an older pre AGP build that should have a suitable card - will borrow that and do as suggested after a couple of hours of the "long bios reset".

Regards

Well you wont be able to use a AGP card, maybe PCI but I guess that is what you meant. Ya, I just meant a older series like 38xx or x19xx something along those lines

Let us know how your Clear CMOS goes, if you get the checksum error screen that is good, you should be able to choose load optimized then

Sadly, all efforts have failed to get to BIOS

Looking at what you've done so far, I'd try a breadboard setup (out of the case, on a nonconductive surface) with just the bare minimum of components to get it running.

That's CPU and fan, PSU, keyboard, one stick of RAM, video card (any old PCI card will do) and screen plus something to apply a steadying load (I usually attach a floppy with a DOS boot disk in it) mouse and hard disk are optional at this point.

Make very sure all connections are made 'by the book', are secure and correctly oriented.

If it still won't POST, check the +12 and +5V lines with a multimeter.

If you find no serious variation, still try another PSU just in case.

Now try different RAM, try another CPU (or yours in another board.)

If no joy to this point, it's time to stick the board back in the box and RMA.

I realise this isn't always convenient for someone with no access to swappable spares, but without expensive test gear and the know-how to use it...

If you get no where, before you RMA PM me and I will send you last resort link that has helped many

Idle - Good thoughts. Proper ESD procedures followed. Did all but the PS/multimeter - CPU swap. Looking throught this forum and also the net, seems that these boards have some kind of lock on the BIOS that rears its ugly head at the wrong time every now and then.

Must be some non-standard scheme to protect BIOS from getting hacked that backfires now and again???

Lsdmeasap - Was unaware of any further possible measures and board was mailed back already. PMed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information