Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-EX58-UD5 won't POST, infinite loop, code 88

Default GA-EX58-UD5 won't POST, infinite loop, code 88

System spec:
    Core i7 920 Boxed
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
    12GB Kingston DDR3-1333MHz (6x2GB)
    Sapphire 4870 512MB
    Samsung F1 1TB hard drive
    Antec Earthwatts 500w PSU
    +secondary hd/DVD-RW/WLAN-card etc

This happened: I assembled the computer, and it booted perfectly. I booted it from a DVD with Vista Business 64-bit, installed perfectly, and when it was up, I installed Ati Catalyst drivers for the 4870.
    The set up was done using a generic 17-inch CRT, since my LG W3000H only support 2560x1600 and 1280x800. I connected the LG, and tried to adjust the resolution accordingly. Unfortunately, by mistake I set the resolution on the LG to 1280x720 (=no picture) and made it primary. I could therefore not edit the settings again, and had to power off the system with the power button. I then unplugged the LG, so that I could boot the system with CRT only, to fix the settings.
    However, I couldn't. Now the pc only loops when it tries to POST. The MB-leds light up and the system fans spin for a few seconds, then it shuts down for maybe five seconds, then it tries to turn on again. This continues continously until I unplug the power cord. It never gets a picture on the CRT before it fails. Error code on the debug led says "88".
    I have tried booting with less memory, no memory, w/o graphics card, w/o hard drives, I have tried holding the CMOS reset button in for a minute or so, I have removed and replaced the CMOS battery, I have shorted the CMOS-jumper pins with a screwdriver (I don't have a jumper). Reboot inbetween all hw changes. Still "88". Nothing seem to help.
    I changed a few insignificant settings in bios, nothing CPU/MEM related (all of that is mostly on Auto), but I don't remember specifically what it was.

Does someone have an idea of what happened?
    I'm pretty desperate here, I have exams soon, and I really don't want to handle a RMA mess at the same time too.

I appreciate all the help I can get :)

Default Re: GA-EX58-UD5 won't POST, infinite loop, code 88

EDIT: Oops, missed the part where you pressed Clr CMOS for a whole minute >.<.
    Did you try with only 6gb ram?

---------------------------------------

Hi,

Check this thread, someone had the same problem as you (I think) and fixed it by pressing clr CMOS button for 10 seconds: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/giga...ng-post-28843/

The Bios's are still buggy, and I also get strange boot behaviour sometimes when I only change "insignificant" settings. This will result in endless reboot loop, No vid on resume from S3 sleep...
    Clr CMOS works most of the time for me. Or I should say instead: Clr CMOS always works, but not always on the first try.

Once you get running again, I'd also update to bios F3 which seems to work the best.

Good luck
    Last edited by C3D76; 12-03-2008 at 06:21 AM.
    Windows 7 Pro 64 | OCZ Vertex 120 | Cosmos S
    Gigabyte P67A-UD5-B3 (F6) | Enermax Revolution85+ 1050w
    i7 2600k | 2x4 GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 | EVGA GTX570 SC
    Apogee XT | Magicool 360 Radiator | MCP35x Pump + v.2 Res

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I would say to test with one or two 2GB sticks and see if that helps

I tested with one.... no boot. Maybe I should try to clr cmos and boot with one stick once more, just in case?
    I still have time left to return the case and psu (Antec Sonata bundled with Earthwatts PSU), and rma the motherboard. But then I would have to find a quiet and well-vented case and a quiet and powerful PSU (was hoping to run the i7 with a Noctua NH-U12P at 3,8GHz 24/7, plus some clocking of the 4870, if possible). Any suggestions? And, I want a case that doesn't look like a pile of crap. That means: No windows, massive amounts of ccfl/led lights for the fun of it etc. Sorta minimalist style ;-)

Anyway, I'll try booting it one final time when I get back from school today, I'll be sure to let you know how it went. I am not overly positive, though...

You really should find a jumper, this is my proven Clear CMOS method, see post #2 >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

And ya, try with one or two sticks of ram

I have yet again tried with only one stick of ram, but no success :(

On the CMOS-reset thing: I really don't have a jumper. I did try leaving the CMOS battery out for one hour, but that didn't help either...

If I decide to return the case/psu too, would the Antec P182 along with Corsair TX750W be any good for what I want to do (reasonable overclock on 4870 and 920)?

I dont know about that case personally, but the PSU I hear is good for sure

Thanks for all help... I've applied for RMA on the Case/PSU and the MB. I hope I'll get something better next time.

Btw, do you reckon the cables on the TX750W is long enough for the P182?

I dunno about the case, you will have to get the manuals for each and see if you can deicide

I have the same problem. The system powers up for 1 second then cuts power. This repeats about every 5 seconds. The POST code says 88, but I suspect its just a power on test for the segment display itself. HELP !!!! Did you solve this Mr Kaizer ? Anyone know ? Thanks. My spec is:

Intel i7 920
    GA-EX58-UD5
    G.Skill 6GB DDR3 NQ PC3-12800C9 1600MHz (3x2GB) 9-9-9-24
    Corsair TX750
    Coolermaster Cosmos 100 case

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information