Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Gigabyte EP43-DS3L Boot Loop

Cool Gigabyte EP43-DS3L Boot Loop

I recently got a Gigabyte EP43-DS3L Mobo to replace a ASUS that, after 3 years, blew a gasket. The new machine I built was an Intel Dual Core 2.66 Ghz, with 4 Gigs of Kingston DDR2 Memory and 5 hard drives installed (PSU supports up to 550 Watts). Four of those harddrives are SATA, the other an IDE. The system started fine and functioned well up until today.

What happened you ask? Well, I added another SATA harddrive. I powered down the machine, gracefully, unplugged the PSU and then added the new hard drive. When I rebooted the machine, the BIOS came up, stopped just short of the memory test, and then proceeded to enter an endless loop of restarting. (mind you, it issues one short beep, then starts the boot process all over again).

So, I did the standard routine. I unplugged all the harddrives except for the one with the MBR and tried it again. Same result.

I cleared the CMOS, tried once more, same result.

I removed one, then both memory sticks to no avail.

The one good thing that I noted was that when I removed both memory sticks, I received the standard long beeps indicating that there was no memory installed. I would imagine that this means that the mobo is still alive and well, but I don't know for sure.

All I can say now is HELP!!!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Gigabyte EP43-DS3L Boot Loop

Hmm, so how did you clear the CMOS? Sounds like you should try that further, please try this method with only one stick of ram and your Usual hard drives connected (Not the new one yet). See post #2 >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

What GFX card do you have, and do you have a older one to use as a tester later on?

It does sound like your board is fine, just needs a CMOS Fully cleared and you likely need to be looking into a new PSU as that one may be not enough now, or on it's way out. Please do also note your GFX Card, and your CPU model

Thanks for the info.

I cleared the CMOS by unplugging the PSU, pulling the battery from the CMOS and waiting a minute or so. Then I put the battery back in and booted up.

One other note, after the initial bootup where the system started going into that endless loop, I removed all the hard drives except for the one that contains the MBR and the "new" one. So the power consumption should be considerably less. (I also booted with just one memory stick)

My video card is an older nVidia GeForce with 256 MB on board. I currently don't have a simpler video card to put in place. I will see if I can get one. The PSU is brand new, I have two older ones that still work, but have lower ratings.

I did bring the hard drive with me to work and plugged it into a machine over here and that machine booted and recognized the hard drive, so I know the hard drive is ok.

When I get home, I will try your suggestions and see if I get anywhere.

Oh, forgot one thing. I bootup loop that the BIOS goes through occurs such that I cannot get into the BIOS at all. Doesn't look like I will be able to do that Qflash thing. I did try to get into that and the BIOS and the Boot Menu last night, but my keystrokes aren't picked up.

Are you using a PS/2 keyboard and mouse, if not please do try with those. And please try my method to clear the CMOS linked above as a minute or two is not going to be enough

Or did you finally get in the BIOS Now, or past it anyway?

Thanks Lsdmeasap. I will try that, just have been ultra busy at work, so haven't had much time of late to attempt your suggestions. But I will. I will definitely try your method of clearing the CMOS.

I do find it interesting that you mention the keyboard. I was talking to a fellow tech that ran into a similar problem the week before and he discovered that when he unplugged the keyboard, the BIOS came up fine and he was ultimately able to get into the machine. I really hope that it is as simple as that for me.

I will certainly post my progress or lack there of.

Also be sure no external USB or otherwise devices are connected.

Ya, I have had several times using a different mouse/keyboard fixed things which was found to solve the issue by starting with nothing connected in a attempt to find the culprit

Let us know how you get along with this when you get around to it

Well, I unplugged everything, except the keyboard and mouse, and I was able to now get into the bios. So it had to be one of the other devices that was causing the boot loop. I will systematically add one USB device at a time to determine who the culprit was. Thanks for the help. Your idea to pull the CMOS battery and leave it out for a considerable amount of time (20 minuter or more) seemed to work.

Great to hear you got in the BIOS!!!!

Ya, seems to me sometimes under 15 minutes or so can corrupt the bootblock and make things worse, so I always suggest 30 Minutes or more

Let us know how your testing goes to find your culprit to your issue

Thread Information