Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EX58-UD5 back plate?

Default GA-EX58-UD5 back plate?

Hi all! This is my first post.

I saved up for a while and ordered all the parts for a new i7 920 based system with the GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard. I bought the Noctua NH-U12P-SE1366 cooler. I should have all the parts I ordered by Monday 12/8/08. I noticed in pictures of the motherboard that there seems to be some type of back plate where the Noctua bracket has to go.

Does the GA-EX58-UD5 have that back plate? If so, how does one remove it?

Thank you very much!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-EX58-UD5 back plate?

I believe it is screwed in, it is needed, or a backplate of your own for 1366 socket would be needed so your board does not flex

One like this would work likely >>>
    Petra's Tech Shop

Here is the noctua version >>
    Noctua.at - sound-optimised premium components "Designed in Austria"!

And here is some places you can buy one at (Not sure where you live) >>>
    Moddersmart - I Mod Smart Do You? - Air Cooling :: Heatsinks - CPU Mounting Hardware :: Noctua LGA 1366 Mounting Kit for Noctua CPU Coolers

LGA1366 SecuFirm2 Mounting-Kit

NOCTUA LGA1366 SECUFIRM2 CORE i7 HEATSINK MOUNTING KIT on eBay, also Fan Heatsink Combos, Fans Heatsinks, Desktop PC Components, Computing (end time 24-Dec-08 02:47:29 GMT)

Elara Online - NOCTUA (NOC-LGA1366-KIT) - LGA1366 SecuFirm2 Mounting-Kit

I do see this at moddersmart>>>
    GET ONE FOR FREE!! Owners of existing Noctua CPU coolers can obtain a LGA1366 Mounting Kit free of charge via this form. A proof of purchase (photo, scan or screenshot of the invoice) of both a Noctua CPU cooler and either a socket 1366 motherboard or socket 1366 CPU are required.
    Noctua.at - sound-optimised premium components "Designed in Austria"!

Hi there! Thank you for the reply.

Now that I have received the GA-EX58-UD5 and taken a good look at it, there does not seem to be a way to remove the back plate. It appears that the odd screws that hold in the CPU socket assembly also hold the back plate on. Considering that tweaktown's i7 test system uses the same motherboard and Noctua cooler I bought, I really wonder if they left it on. I don't think it's a plate for mounting as it doesn't extend out to the mounting holes. It's basically just directly under the socket.

click here to see pics of the mobo, including the back! The pic second from the right shows the back plate. It's some type of Foxconn back plate judging from the text on it.

Do you think I could leave it on even with the Noctua backplate?
    Last edited by anindrew; 12-05-2008 at 02:19 PM.

my coolermaster V8 back plate fitted over the existing back plate. i'd guess all other coolers will do the same. you'll soon find out when your parts arrive it will be fairly obviouse how it fits on.

the gigabyte utilities are what don't fit with this motherboard using vista 64 ultimate, i can't understand why they give out s'ware that either doesn't work, or you are advised not to use (@bios), with this board
    shall start a thread about this when i got some time.

@BIOS any any other "Within Windows" based flash utility for any board is not advised. Just to many things to cause issues when flashing from windows.

@BIOS does work, but do you want (Or need really) to take that risk that it may fail on you when many safe alternative ways to flash is there for you to use?

Thread Information