Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gigabyte ep45-ud3r issues.

Default gigabyte ep45-ud3r issues.

I'm having ag reat time using the ep45-ud3r and my q6600. The board is excellent , the best i've used so far. Stable , great o/c , easy to learn ... but there are some issues i'd like to share with you.

1) I can't get my AC'97 front panel to work. I've read the manual , it says that you have to "disable front panel jack detection" , but i can't find that option anywhere. The speakers are working normall (HD audio) and the onboard sound is great. solved

2) When i connect my e-sata (in an external enclosure) it is being recognised correctly , but there is no icon for proper removal. I'm afraid that this way there is a danger for data loss. I turn off the power of my e-sata and the hard disk is off correctly. But if i try to turn it on again , the windows explorer freezes and i have to restart. I have connected the esata bracket to the sata2_5 port (ICH10R). see post 11

3) Boot time is increased by many seconds when setting intel port to achi mode (or raid).

4) : The worst thing about this mobo is that you don't have the option to control the system/power fans.

5) : The EasyTune 6 doesn't apply the bios settings in realtime , you have to restart.

Has anyone else experienced these problems ? Do you think that there is a solution for these ?
    Last edited by mathewgx; 12-05-2008 at 12:55 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: gigabyte ep45-ud3r issues.

The manual is wrong? All of them say that, and as you see show a program interface that is old and not used anymore. What you need to do is rewire your front panel connector to HD audio, the pinouts are shown in the manual for both

Are you sure that is a yellow port you are using for your external drive? I just ask cause the way you named it, sounded like a purple port.

To Use Hot-Swap you MUST install your system with the AHCI driver, did you? If so, what settings do you have set in the integrated peripherals BIOS page, you can post a pic if it would be easier. There is two sets of controllers so be sure you set them correctly. The top ones are for the Intel/Yellow controller, and the middle ones are for the Gigabyte/purple controller

If your system is on the yellow ports and you did not install AHCI driver on install what you could do is plug your external into the purple ports and enable ACHI on those in the BIOS and then install the Gigabyte AHCI Driver and you should be fine

flyfisher is offline Member

Using an e-sata enclosure connected to a purple port, I set the Gigabyte controller to IDE mode in the BIOS and used the jmicron jmb36x driver since the controller is made by jmicron. With this driver I get the "safely remove hardware" icon in the system tray. When I set the controller to AHCI it won't detect my Benq IDE DVD-RW. Is there a separate AHCI driver? I can't find one.
    Last edited by flyfisher; 12-03-2008 at 07:35 PM.

Should i use the purple sata port ? I connected it with the yellow one (ICH1OR).

If you use the yellow sata ports you will need to install the Intel AHCI driver. This would require reinstalling Windows. There is a way around it but it is easier to just use the purple ports and install the jmicron driver. It works fine with my e-sata enclosure. You can download the driver here

ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmb36x/W...WHQL_eSATA.zip

After you install the driver you'll see an SCSI/RAID controller in device manager named "jmicron jmb36x controller". Turn on your e-sata drive and you'll get the safely remove hardware icon in the system tray. Good luck.

@flyfisher

you will just have to connect your CD/DVD drive to the yellow ports and be sure Native is enabled for that controller

@mathewgx, I agree fully with the above statements!

@ Lsdmeasap

The BenQ is an IDE drive. The Gigabyte controller provides the IDE channel, correct? So I must run the Gigabyte controller in IDE mode to see the drive. No big deal, I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about AHCI. Maybe I'll enable it on the ICH10R next time I reinstall windows and check it out. From what I've read though it's only beneficial on a server type machine?
    Last edited by flyfisher; 12-04-2008 at 03:07 AM.

Ahh, Ok. You must set the Gigabyte controller to IDE to use a IDE drive then, I dont think there is any other way you will just have to use your AHCI devices on the Intel controller

AHCI is slower really I think especially to boot with. The speed gain is minimal in actual use, burst is improved but not much more

Unless you need hotswap there is no need for it really

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher View Post
    If you use the yellow sata ports you will need to install the Intel AHCI driver.
    I've already installed intel achi driver when installing vista (which is not required since vista has its native achi driver) and i have set intel controller to achi mode. The esata is being recognised the first time but not the second one and there is not a safe removal icon.

I will try the purple one , but i'd expect intel port to work as needed.

I have to add one more issue , so ...

3) Boot time is increased by many seconds when setting intel port to achi mode (or raid). This is really annoying and i can't find a reason for it since there is not such delay in asus mobos (p5e , p5q).

I'm afraid , i will continue to add more issues. But the fact is that there are minor , i have to say one more time that the board is fantastic. Actually is better than i 'd expect for this amount of money.
    Last edited by mathewgx; 12-04-2008 at 12:35 PM.

You will need to install the Matrix software (Which will install the latest AHCI Driver) and then you should see safely remove >>>
    Download Search Results

And yes, I know Vista has a generic Driver, but it is generic and you should always install the Intel one once inside the system or during install if you plan to use it

AHCI always will add to bootup as it has to load the AHCI BIOS which is separate, nothing to concern yourself about a few seconds longer.

AHCI is not really any better, unless you have to have hotswap. If not then you would be better off not using it

I agree the UD3 series boards are breaking TONS of records, check this guy out >>>
    GIGABYTE EP45-UD3R+Team Xtreem DDR2-1300 broke DDR2-1630 MHz with "paper pot" - XtremeSystems Forums

And see the records here >>>
    GIGABYTE--Challenge Dual Channel DDR2 1508MHz Record--

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information