Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-K8N Ultra-9 Boot Problems

Question GA-K8N Ultra-9 Boot Problems

Hi Everyone,
    Please excuse the blunt approach to this request for help as Iím trying and keep this brief but provide all the info I can. Machine spec ...

• Motherboard GA-K8N Ultra-9 with AMD A64 3200 processor.
    • <!--[endif]--><!--[if !supportLists]--><!--[endif]-->Sapphire ATI Radeon X800 GTO Ultimate 256MB graphics card.
    • <!--[if !supportLists]--><!--[endif]-->2GB RAM
    • <!--[if !supportLists]--><!--[endif]-->Has been happily running Windows Media Centre for 3 years.

The problem is that it wonít boot at all (the floppy disk and DVD are not accessed) and I canít get any sign of life on the display so donít know what is happening. All the fans start up and the hard disks spin up. So it looks like something has died, but what?

The only sign of life I have managed to get is when I remove the graphics card, then I get the appropriate BIOS error code beeps. With the graphics card inserted Ė the machine is silent. Also, if the keyboard is NOT attached I do not get the BIOS error beeps for that fault. Iíve tried clearing the CMOS; removing all the memory; trying just one piece of memory; and disconnecting and removing all disks and the two TV cards Ė nothing has provided any more hints to the problem.

Anybody got any ideas for what I should try next? Any suggestions will be very gratefully received.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-K8N Ultra-9 Boot Problems

Hmm, well start with removing all the ram and trying both sticks at once. If you get no joy you will need another machine.

In another PC you will have to test each stick of ram one by one, and then test your GFX Card, and then if you still do not find those to be the issue you will have to remove your CD/DVD drives and Hard drives from YOUR Machine and see if you can then access the BIOS, if you can plug in your Drives one by one until you find the culprit

Testing your hardware one by one in another machine would be the quickest way to see what is maybe bad.

What caused this? Did you have a storm or anything? Someone messing with the PC at all?

The only sign of life I have managed to get is when I remove the graphics card, then I get the appropriate BIOS error code beeps

I have two of these boards running at the moment ó one is starting to show intermittent faults at startup, just waiting for it to become repeatable so I can either fix it or dump it.

Find an old PCI video card and try that (in a PCI slot, of course...) ó your PCI-e unit may well be the problem (they get far too hot nowadays, and video playback works them fairly hard.)

If the machine then starts, there's your answer.

Cool Re: GA-K8N Ultra-9 Boot Problems

Thanks Idle and Lsdmeasap ,

The only thing that is every loaded onto this machine are Windows updates as it is used exclusively as a TV/Media machine so I'm pretty certain that something has died. I'll have another go at stripping the machine down to see if I can isolate the fault.
    The one thing I don't have is an old PCI video card (I have a lot of old kit but don't have that) but I do have another machine I can test the graphics card in so I'll have a go at that.

What would be useful would be to know the exact sequence the BIOS POST does its tests because it is obviously failing before it gets to test for a keyboard because if I disconnect the keyboard I do not get that beep code.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how I get on.
    Nick

Do you have other ram to test with? Or can you test that ram in another PC? That would be the simplest thing to test first

But ya, without two machines your testing is going to be limited.

Thumbs up Re: GA-K8N Ultra-9 Boot Problems

I stripped the machine down bit by bit and it never showed any signs of life which was kind of good as I had already ordered a new motherboard. All the other components are now happily working with the new board. I guess I was lucky I could still get a socket 939 motherboard.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Hi guys,

A friend's PC that I built a few years ago has exactly the same problem and has exactly the same motherboard, so I guess it's dead. However, I'm having no luck finding a replacement motherboard. The only ones I can find are ~£100 and in that case it would be about the same cost to get a new budget motherboard, RAM and CPU and get better performance at the same time. :/

Does anyone know where some decently priced socket 939 motherboards can be bought?

Thanks.

Thread Information