Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EP45-UD3R/UDS and WD VelociRaptor

Default GA-EP45-UD3R/UDS and WD VelociRaptor

Aargh! I'm trying without success to install XP on a WD Raptor (tried two different drives & cables). The mobo and drives are new. It recognizes the drive (SATA 0) in the BIOS. I began with FailSafe settings, then set SATA Port0-3 Native Mode to "Enabled" (RAID/ACHI is Disabled).

After chugging thru the drivers and getting the "Setup is installing Windows" message, the following blue-screen error message appears:

"Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers, Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

STOP: Ox0000007B (OxF78DA524, Ox0000034, Ox00000000, Ox00000000"

I'm using an XP SP2 boot CD so the SATA drivers should be loading to recognize the Raptor. Are there any settings I'm missing? I even tried creating a partition and formatting one of the drives on another PC. That one wasn't recognized either. It appears XP can't get the partition info it needs to do the install. Do I need to create an F6 driver floppy? I also have another new GA-EP45 in a box I could try. Gawd, I need a beer! (and some advice). Thanks in advance.
    janco

Default Re: GA-EP45-UD3R/UDS and WD VelociRaptor

You can try installing Vista. :)

I believe there's an option in the BIOS to set the drive to IDE or something like that.. Try looking for something like that.

Sorry for not hitting the nail on the head.. Someone will.
    Nothing is impossible... Just mathematically improbable..

"The best defense against computer viruses might not even be antivirus software, but a crafty combination of education and common sense."

Intel Pentium e5200 @ 3.8HZ (380 X 10)
    Giga-byte GA-EP35-DS3L
    Mushkin 4GB DDR2 800 @ 760MHZ 4-4-3-10 @ +0.3v
    SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
    Seagate 160GB @ 7200rpm
    SB Audigy2
    Corsair 520HX
    Super Antec Lanboy
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit RTM
    Acer AL2216Wbd 22"

Actually VISTA Business recognizes the drive using this mobo, and will happily do the install. That's what leads me to believe that it's an XP SATA driver issue. I just don't want to take the performance hit that VISTA offers, plus I use a lot of legacy software that just won't run under VISTA. I'll probably make the jump to Windows7 down the road. Maybe I'll dig out my old Windows for Workgroups v3.11 and give that a shot!
    janco

What performance issues. There are none. I'm sure your PC is more than capable of handling Vista....

With respect to software, I've never used a software that doesn't work on Vista; even older software. It's 2009, most software developers have Vista compatible versions. Give it a try.
    Nothing is impossible... Just mathematically improbable..

"The best defense against computer viruses might not even be antivirus software, but a crafty combination of education and common sense."

Intel Pentium e5200 @ 3.8HZ (380 X 10)
    Giga-byte GA-EP35-DS3L
    Mushkin 4GB DDR2 800 @ 760MHZ 4-4-3-10 @ +0.3v
    SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
    Seagate 160GB @ 7200rpm
    SB Audigy2
    Corsair 520HX
    Super Antec Lanboy
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit RTM
    Acer AL2216Wbd 22"

There are significant performance issues with Vista, especially in the OpenGL arena.

Windows XP vs. Vista: The Benchmark Rundown : Is Windows Vista Faster Than XP? - Tom's Hardware

Not to mention there are no Vista drivers for my Epson printer or my legacy HP Scanjet. I imagine overall performance wouldn't take a big hit, but we do a lot of C++ software development and need every click of the CPU we can get our hands on for compiling. Perhaps that's why Intel is sticking with the XP platform for now.

The plot thickens . . . I visited Gigabyte's page and downloaded a floppy driver to use with an F6 when the XP CD is installing drivers. It's a RAID driver which is dumb as RAID is diabled. I even tried enabling the RAID in the BIOS hoping it would take off and install XP.

GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - Driver - GA-EP45-UD3R (rev. 1.0)

That didn't work either. I also tried installing XP on a new 500Gb WD SATA drive, with and without the device disk (iaStor.sys) and it wasn't recognized either. I've now spent two days trying to install XP on a new mobo and hard drive. This is nuts. Still no word from the Gigabyte tech dudes on a solution.

Got it!!! Just on a hunch I tried another XP CD with SP2 and it worked. No floppy driver etc. Apparently the first XP CD (no SP2) pukes as it doesn't have the needed PCI drivers. The second one I tried probably was an early release SP2 and again didn't have the right drivers. The third one (third time's the charm) worked (so far). Thanks to anyone who was pondering the issue and took the time to read the post and scratch their heads. I'll update the thread if something else with this board rears it's ugly head.
    janco

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ya, sorry I was late to reply here but a NON SP1 or SP2 disk just will not install on new boards these days it seems

Always Burn your ISO System disks at SLOWEST POSSIBLE Settings.

^^ Note for any future readers ^^

Thread Information