Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Possible Motherboard Problem? Help Please? (EP45-UD3P)

Default Possible Motherboard Problem? Help Please? (EP45-UD3P)

Ever since I installed my new motherboard (an EP45-UD3P ) I've been having issues with my machine. I'm running Vista Ultimate 32 bit and what would happen is every once in a while it would start acting up. Freezing for no reason with no way to force quite any applications, freezing at log in and so on. Of course my first thought was that a virus somehow got through my Kapersky's Internet Security without it even noticing, but after a 42 hour full scan of my system it showed absolutely no problem.

Today I finally realized that the only time these problems would arise would be when I had a disc in the optical drive. Put in a disc, everything locks up. Restart, same thing. Take the disc our and restart, no problems whatsoever.

All drivers are up to date, tried with quite a few different discs, same problem.

I have my first optical drive set to primary and the second set to slave with the jumpers. I'm thinking there might be problems because the system reads the drives as legacy and automatically reads them first? When I go into the BIOS, I can't figure out how to set the hard drives I have above the optical drives. In the BIOS it lists my optical drives as IDE Primary/Slave Channel four and my two hard drives as IDE Primary/Slave channel five.

Any other thoughts as to what the problem might be? And if not, how can I manually set the hard drives as higher channels?

System specs in case you need them:

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
    Intel Q6600 @ Stock
    Windows Vista Ultimate X86
    8 GB of PNY DDR2 800
    ATI Radeon HD 4850
    2 Identical LG IDE DVD Writers
    1 250 GB Maxtor Sata Hard Drive (With OS)
    1 320 GB WD Sata Hard Drive

Thanks!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Possible Motherboard Problem? Help Please? (EP45-UD3P)

42 hour scan????? What happened there, wow that is long?

Please post a image of your Integrated peripherals BIOS page

You should have your 2 hard drives connected to port 0 and 1 on the yellow controller and you should have set in integrated peripherals page of the BIOS this as you are not using AHCI I take it >>>>

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) >>>>>>>>> Disabled

SATA Port0-3 Native Mode >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Enabled

Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) >>>>>>>>>> Enabled

Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) >>>>>>> IDE

That's what happens when Kaspersky's runs a "Thorough" scan. Right now those options are all the same as what I have. However, I've had my two hard drives plugged into ports 0 and 1 in the Gsata ports. The purple ones. Problem?

I changed the connections on the mobo to the yellow controllers and made sure the BIOS settings were just like what you said. In the BIOS it now lists my OS HDD as Channel 0 primary and my second HDD as channel 1 primary. Which is definitely a step in the right direction. However, I've read that on this board there can be problems when the optical drives are set to anything other than slave. As it is now, they are listed as Channel 4 primary and slave. Is there a way to change this? I'll boot up and try again with the discs.

It's all done and I find myself running into a similar problem. It doesn't freeze on me anymore, but I still cannot open anything that I put into my disc drives and when I try it loads and loads and nothing pops up. Again, is it possible to change both my drives to slave? Or take one out and set the one I leave in as only slave?

Did you leave the Gigabyte controler enabled and set to IDE, you need to leave that for IDE Drives

As for your slave question. Since these are IDE Drives, have you first tried another cable to be sure that is not your issue? As for Master/slave. The drive on the end of the cable by default would be master and the middle slave so be sure if you are trying both you set the jumpers per drive to that respective setting. You may also want to try CS jumper setting on one/both/either as well to see if that helps.

If you still dont get anywhere, try all of the above with one drive only and see if it will work.

What do you have set for standard CMOS settings for the drives? No, they both cannot be slave on the same cable... thus impossible as you have only one IDE Controller supporting 2 devices with one cable. It should work with only one for sure set as master (With the drive on the end of the cable) or CS jumpered setting

It's working right now with only one drive hooked up, the jumper set to slave and the middle part of the cable plugged in. Weird?

That is how it should be, will it work if you set CS(Cable Select) or master and move the drive to the end of the cable? If not the cable may be bad

Thread Information