Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GB X58 Extreme sata ports bug?

Default GB X58 Extreme sata ports bug?

windows xpsp3, all latest drivers and bios

Trying to use Acronis True Image to restore from backup (testing it). If I am on the intel sata slots, I can backup, but upon ATI rebooting to restore, it can not find my hard drives. If I put my hard drives on the Gigabyte Sata slots, I can backup and restore without problem. I have duplicated this numerous times with different intel and GB slots, intel slots fail every time, GB works every time

Question 1 is this an ATI bug or intel driver issue on GB board?

I was just going to plug my 3 hard drives (1OS and 2 backups) and DVD into 4 GB slots and just use those, but only 2 slots will work at a time. If i plug into all 4, only two in a horizontal row are active. All 4 will work, but only 2 at a time, is this normal or bug?

appreciate any help, thanks,
    bob
    3770K 4.7 - Windows 7 64 - GB UD5h - Dom 2133 - corsair 850 - Intel 520 SSD - 680 GTX - 26 inch Samsung LCD
    Lian Li G70 WC

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GB X58 Extreme sata ports bug?

It may be a True Image issue with SATA or AHCI, what version are you using and can you or does it allow/ask for drivers? That could be the reason it is not seeing the drives

I would say you use The GA Slots (2 of them I suppose) for your OS since you seem to only be able to backup there and put the rest on the intel controller.

I do think this is a BIOS issue with your Intel Vs GA ports as I have seen many issues with Different BIOS revisions for that board mentioned.

This member uses that board, maybe you can pm him and ask him to come and give his thoughts on your SATA Issue 2 vs 4 slot issue on the GA ports, but if it is anything like P45-DQ6 then those are meant for smart backup. What does your manual say about them? >>
    TweakTown Forums - View Profile: C3D76

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    It may be a True Image issue with SATA or AHCI, what version are you using and can you or does it allow/ask for drivers? That could be the reason it is not seeing the drives

I would say you use The GA Slots (2 of them I suppose) for your OS since you seem to only be able to backup there and put the rest on the intel controller.

I do think this is a BIOS issue with your Intel Vs GA ports as I have seen many issues with Different BIOS revisions for that board mentioned.

This member uses that board, maybe you can pm him and ask him to come and give his thoughts on your SATA Issue 2 vs 4 slot issue on the GA ports, but if it is anything like P45-DQ6 then those are meant for smart backup. What does your manual say about them? >>
    TweakTown Forums - View Profile: C3D76
    I am using the intel slots, I can backup from those ok, just can not restore using them. Then if I have to restore, I remove all hard drives from intel slots, put OS drive and backup drive in GB slots, and can restore fine. This works OK for now.

IF P45-DQ6 slots are for smart backup, no doubt mine are same, as that is exactly what mine are acting like. Thanks, that is one mystery solved, 2 to go.

Using GB sata for my OS and backup drives, then intel for 2 others made most sense for me too. But If I put any hard drive in intel slots, which is "ahead" of the GB slots, I get that ntdrl(sic) error, the one that means it is trying to start my OS from a drive that does not have the OS. There is probably some way around that, but storage is one of my weaker points with computers...need to learn more.

I dont have AHCI enabled, but I do know that true image does not work with AHCI. I used true image on my P35 DQ6 on intel sata slots, worked flawlessly and work on GB sata, so either some setting different on X58 intel sata or bug with drivers and ATI. I am using ATI version 11, most up to date release which was not to long ago.
    3770K 4.7 - Windows 7 64 - GB UD5h - Dom 2133 - corsair 850 - Intel 520 SSD - 680 GTX - 26 inch Samsung LCD
    Lian Li G70 WC

NTLDR Error means you need to reinstall the OS on the Intel slots, you cant just switch them around as they use different drivers. I assume you know that

Did you reboot after setting these Intel settings to use this controller and then move the Boot priority of this drive back to the top?

Ya, with the board being so new, Both or either could be the culprit there with drivers

Actually I did not know I could not switch them around without reinstalling OS...storage is my weakest point. However, I did run my OS SSD drive (installed in intel slot) from intel slot of course, and then I shutdown the computer, put that OS drive in GB sata slot and it runs fine without the need to reinstall the OS. I just tried it again to make sure I could do it prior to posting. It is only if I put any drive in any intel slot while the OS drive has been moved to the GB slot when I get the NTLDR error. But, for instance if only OS drive is plugged in, I can pop it in GB sata boots fine, works fine. Shutdown, pop it in intel slot boots fine, works fine.

I am not sure what you mean by settings these intel settings to use this controller. I am just doing "plug and play"...again storage ignorance on my part. Boot priority of drives...never thought of that, I am sure that one I can do in bios.
    Lian Li G70 WC

Hi, don't think I can really help on this one : /.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    I finally finished the cable management so it would be quite a pain to test the GB slots (to see if I can use more than 2 GSATA devices at a time).
    <o:p></o:p>
    Also I have never used ATI, I'm using <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">VISTA</st1:place> ultimate Complete PC backup/restore.
    Backup and restore works fine everytime, BUT:
    It takes about 10 times longer than my 750i, or any other mobo I have used recently in order to detect the Backup drive.
    On other Mobos I could boot from the CD and start the restore within a couple of minutes. Now it takes a couple of minutes just to get to the restore menu, then another couple of minutes to select the OS to restore, then another 2 mins to select the Backup drive, etc......
    I have a raptor 74 HD (OS)/ WD 500 HD (Backup)/ Sata DVD, in intel ---> SATA2_0 / 2_1 / 2_2 ports. (manual P7)
    Also, it labels the GB SATA as (Smart Backup), and the note says: "A JMB322 Chip supports two SATA 3gb/s connectors, so the four SATA 3Gb/s connectors are divided into two pairs: GSATA2_0 and -----2_1 as a pair, and GSATA2_2 and -----2_3 as a pair" (manual P12, note 5).
    Whatever that means. lol. Maybe LSD can shed some light. Is it meant for RAID?

This probably doesn't help much : /. Sorry.
    And Thanks for the input on F4J rge, much appreciated : ).
    Windows 7 Pro 64 | OCZ Vertex 120 | Cosmos S
    Gigabyte P67A-UD5-B3 (F6) | Enermax Revolution85+ 1050w
    i7 2600k | 2x4 GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 | EVGA GTX570 SC
    Apogee XT | Magicool 360 Radiator | MCP35x Pump + v.2 Res

Thanks for the help, GB smart Backup does require raid to use all 4 ports...so mine was working correctly, played with smart backup in the bios a little bit (actually played with it a little too much and ended up having to restore again). Without raid only two are going to work.

I will just live with using intel ports, and switching to GB for restore, until I hear back from ATI with bug fix, I am pretty sure at this point that ATI is simply not working with intel ICH10 drivers upon first reboot. ATI are not very service oriented so will probably have to find a backup that works with intel sata and ICH10 in long run, and one with free trial that i can test.
    Lian Li G70 WC

Well I can tell you that you can't backup and restore raid across raids. The algarithum (sp) used by the gigaraid and intel is diffrent and they won't share it either because then when it came time to you to upgrade you wouldnt have to keep with the same brand of chipset. So you could go for the cheapest.

As for your other issue if your having issues restoring from the GB from and too the intel none raid drive its probably and most likely due to the bug the rest of us are seeing with the bios. I run my main drive and dvd drives on my intel sata and my data/games on the gsata in raid0. the reason is bandwidth. You have more bandwidth running on 2 diffrent controllers than with one. The board uses seprate pci-e lanes for each controller so your better off using both is they fix the bios.

I am not running raid.

I finally got a response and a fix from ATI. Despite I just bought ATI 11 8 months ago, it does not support ICH10/my platform. Updating to ATI 2009 is the fix.

I downloaded free trial of 2009, worked flawlessly on intel sata. I wish ATI did not take 3 days for a response...never would have guessed ATI 11 that just had a new build released recently, would have different support than ATi 2009.
    Lian Li G70 WC

Ahh, well sorry! I actually edited my post to add "I assume you know that" because I assumed so and did not want you feeling like I thought you did not.

So... Glad you said you did not know.

Yes, you may be able to switch between GA and Intel ports if you are using IDE mode, but it still would not be wise for system stability. If you were using AHCI or RAID you for sure could not so I will assume (Me this time) that you are using IDE/PATA mode for your SATA Drives and not AHCI or RAID

Here would be the settings per controller from the Integrated Peripherals BIOS page >>>

Intel Yellow Controller Ports
    SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) >>>>>>>>> Disabled

SATA Port0-3 Native Mode >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Enabled << Must be enabled for SATA CD/DVD Functions

This is for Anything you have on the Gigabyte/J.Micron purple ports or any IDE Drives
    Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) >>>>>>>>>> Enabled

Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) >>>>>>> IDE

The above is settings for IDE mode (NON RAID OR AHCI) only. They would of course be different for either AHCI or RAID respectively and would use a different driver for each respectively as well.

As for Hard Disk Boot Priority, that is in the Advanced BIOS page at the Top, you would simply need to reboot (After switching controller settings/ports used) and then go into this setting and move the drive you want to boot to Back to the top of the order

Yes C3D76, smart backup is RAID 1, and it depended on What driver or BIOS you were using in P45-DQ6 if you could control the RAID Parameters or not, but it may bu out of the users control totally now on X58. I would assume maybe so because it was only WAY Old BIOS's on the P45's that you could choose raid options or additional settings. You should however be able to use the Steelvine J.Micron driver and interface though, but options may or may not work within that interface

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information