Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Need help new GA-EP45-DQ6 w/ Intel Q9400

Default Need help new GA-EP45-DQ6 w/ Intel Q9400

Howdy all,
    I just put together a new system and when I power up the fan gives a quick jerk like it wants to spin but does not. I have taken the system down to minimum config and now have the motherboard sitting on my desk with only CPU and memory. I have tried with and without memory and using Kingston KVR1066D2N7K2/2G if that matters! I have verified the power supply and made sure the heat sink/fan is seated properly. The CPU led is blue, MD 1 is green, MD 2 is yellow. I am assuming the problem is with the motherboard but any thoughts or advice would be appreciated
    Best regards

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Need help new GA-EP45-DQ6 w/ Intel Q9400

Try with only one stick of ram to get into the BIOS, once you do load optimized defaults and set your ram voltage and then save/apply/reboot back to the BIOS.

Then set all your SATA Settings, put performance enhance on standard and make sure static tRead is not lower then 7-8, and get your system installed then I will help you with getting all your ram installed

Hi lsdmesap, thanks for the reply. I tried only one stick and same issue. I also tried each stick in case one was bad. I assume that the quick jerk of the fan when I press the power button but the fan does not spin is an indication that the motherboard detected a problem and shut down the CPU. It is not clear in the manual what the MD1 and MD2 mean. It says memory overvoltage so i'm not sure. Does the motherboard require memory for the CPU to start?

Yes, memory is needed to start the board. Can you test this ram in another PC to be sure it is not DOA?

See here about MD1/MD2 LED's >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-e...ds-mean-28160/

I found it to be about PCI cards, but it may be voltage on your board. What makes you say that you think it is about overvoltage

Are you sure also your CPU is fully and properly seated and nothing is stopping the fan from spinning (That would not matter so much, but just wondered about the fan)? You do have the ATX 12V 8 Pin connector plugged in correct?

I am confused about the atx 8-pin so this may be my problem. I am using a Cool Master extreme Power Duo 650W. The connectors for the motherboard are a 20-pin and a 4-pin. I have both of them connected to the 24-pin on the mother board. I did reference both the Gigabyte manual and the Cool Master to make sure the voltage at the pins are correct and they do match up. The manual kinda indicated that the atx-8 was for cpu power but I thought that was only if your power suply had this kind of connector. Does the four pin connect to 4 of the eight on the atx-8?

I got the overvoltage idea from the motherboard manual. The page that talks about onboard LEDs shows a thumb size picture of the MD1 and MD2 leds with a caption that says memory. To the right of the picture it say:
    MD1: Normal working conditions (green LED)
    MD2: Excessive overvoltage (Yellow LED)
    Not sure what to make of this! I wish they went a little more in detail

I fan is in the clear with no obstruction and I double checked that the heat sink was firmly seated...

GOT IT GOING.... Thanks for your help. I got to thinking about that other power connector after your last reply. There was another 4-pin connector from the power supply that was tucked between my hard drive bay and totally missed it. I plugged it into the 8-pin connector and away it went.........

Yes, glad you got it! 20+4 is right, and yes some have 4+4 for 8, others may have only 4 or only 8.

Nice to see you got it figured out!!

Thread Information