Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Newbie. What can go wrong?

Default Newbie. What can go wrong?

Hi.

I have a GA-P35-DS4 rev 2.0 current BIOS: F6

I have read all docs and threads I could find. I have the correct latest BIOS for my board (either F13 or a 14c).
    I would use Q-flash in conjunction with a USB flash drive.

I keep reading all the disclaimers and how bad it can go. I understand that if I uploaded a wrong version I could fry it, alright. But if it's the correct version, what can go wrong?

Also, some time ago I read somewhere that I should have not upgraded straight from a much older version to the latest, but I should upgrade in steps, ie from F6 to F8 to F10 etc. Is this still the case and if so why?

Thanks in advance,

Antonio

Default Re: Newbie. What can go wrong?

I always flash in DOS mode. Bootable floppy with the extracted .bin BIOS file on it.

Worst case scenario even if you have the right bios file..... you lose power in the middle of the flash or for some strange reason your computer locks up because you didn't reset your bios to stock settings (ie.- don't flash while OC'd).

Ask around and see if you really need to upgrade to a newer BIOS. I generally don't upgrade unless the original BIOS is known to be unstable or the newer BIOS supports a new line of CPU's.

My UD3P has F4 on it. I have no plans on flashing anytime soon.
    Gigabyte EP45- UD3P
    E8500 Wolfdale @ 4.1ghz
    2x2gb G.Skill PC6400, DDR864, 5-4-4-12
    (3)- Samsung 320gb Spinpoint hdd's in Raid 5
    ASUS TOP 4850 w/Glaciator Fansink
    Lite-On 16x DVD x 2
    D-Tek Fuzion WB
    Thermochill PA120.2 radiator
    2x120 SFF21-F fans
    Liang D5 pump

Thanks for the reply.

The reason that I'd like to update the BIOS is that I have a problem with PCI latency. I looked around and in some cases this problem was resolved by Gigabyte with the new BIOS.
    There would be a tiny app called PCI Latency Tool to fix it too, but it doesn't work on my Vista 32 system (it was designed for XP)

What do you think?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yes, you can go right from F6 to any version! Flash is easy and safe as long as you are stable. Use Qflash and you will be just fine. Here is a Guide, please do read this so you know about optimized defaults as well >>>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

About your PCI Tool, you just need to use XP Compatibility mode. Right click the exe from the start menu or programs folder and choose properties. Then in the compatibility tab choose run this program in XP SP2 mode and hit apply and you will be able to use it.

Here is the version I just installed and tested to be sure, Vista x64. NOTE, I did not have to use compatibility mode either so you are either using a old version or you need to disable driver signing if you are using Vista x64 >>

PCI Latency Utility 3.1 Build 2
    Requires: Win 2K/03/XP/Vista
    |MG| PCI Latency Utility 3.1 Build 2

Also, that is made for AGP so not sure if it will help you or not, but I have never heard of it or used it so surely you know more about it them me already

Thread Information