Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AHCI after XP on GA-MA78GM-S2H (Port 4/5 Technique)

Default Re: AHCI after XP on GA-MA78GM-S2H (Port 4/5 Technique)

This is for people coming along in the future, trying to figure this out. This post details exactly how to unsuccessfully go about doing things. It might make others feel better, at least.

The deviance here is that we are going to attempt using Gigabyte's SB 700 SATA file from a prepared floppy. That would be the floppy you'd use if you were going to put on AHCI before Windows. It's not going to work, but let's see what happens.

(We are attempting to put on AHCI after XP x64 is already installed, remember.)

1. Prepare 2 floppy disks, as the GA-MA78GM-S2H version 1.1 manual describes on page 77. Do that detail for detail. Basically one disk is a generic XP startup disk, and the other is a copy from the Gigabyte DVD which came with the mobo.

2. Start the system. DELETE into BIOS into Integ Peripherals.
    — IDE Channel Enabled
    — SATA Controller Enabled
    — OnChip SATA Type: Your only change; change from NATIVE IDE to AHCI
    — OnChip SATA Port 4/5 Type: IDE

F10, power off system, ground thyself.
    THEN physically move your XP Disk's connector to Port 4. Disconnect other HDDs.

3. Power On. Boot.
    — Boot fails "early in the boot process" (as said elsewhere on the net), and recycles to try again. "Start Windows Normally" in an endless cycle.
    — Turn off power at rear (PSU button).

4. Turn on power. Press Start Button. "Start Windows Normally" repeats (3) above. Then a black screen—probably just for variety. Then repeats above. No go.

5. Turn off power at rear (PSU).
    — Trade your single connector from Slot 4 to Slot 5.
    — Power On. "Start Windows Normally."
    Boots into Windows. (How strange.) Yes, I've seen this before, when the only change made was to change the connector from Slot 4 to Slot 5. In theory both slots are IDE; there should be no difference at all. No mistake is being made here, so don't even think about saying, "Are you sure that. . . ." Yes, I'm sure. This is about Hour 30 or so. Yes, I am sure.

6. Oh, good, we're in Windows XP 64. Great.
    — Insert floppy with SB 700 SATA files on it. I've already told you this is NOT gonna work.
    — Found New Hardware wizard, which has come up all by itself, doesn't like our floppy.
    — Let's try our file downloaded from Gigabyte (for the nth time). That's the SATA RAID download for, yes, this GA-MA78GM-S2H version 1.1 motherboard. When we press on it, we get (for the nth time), ". . .is valid, but is for a machine type other than the current machine". Yes, well.
    — Let's look at our Drive (A) Floppy. Hm. Nothing at all is visible on it. Maybe those files are unreadable when you're in Windows. I s'pose.

7. Restart the computer with the floppy (supposedly) containing the SB 700 SATA files in it. Maybe it will do something for us. "Remove disks, press any key." Ignore the grammar mistake; yes, we know they don't know when to use semicolons. Two principal clauses, my friends at Gigabyte, cannot be joined by a comma. That's a run-on sentence. And you think we're the ignorant ones.

8. Power Off.
    — Move SATA HD to 4, put SATA DVD back into 5.
    — Power On.
    — "Fails early in the boot process." —Twice. I know it will boot with only one single device, but not with two. Don't ask me. I'm just the customer.

9. Put both HDDs and the DVD back into their respective Ports 1, 2, and 5.
    — In the BIOS, reset to Native IDE.
    — Notice there is another choice, perhaps for another day. The choice I haven't tried is RAID. I don't want RAID, so I always choose AHCI. Hmm.
    — Anyway: Enter, F10, and Out.

10. "Start Windows Normally."

And here we are again, still in IDE style. Wasn't that fun? Thank you so very much, Mr. Gigabyte, Sir. I really had nothing to do these last four days anyway. And your excellent product brings back such nostalgia for my childhood, when I so much loved rides on merry-go-rounds.

— By the way, Mr. Gigabyte, Sir: how much does your CEO make?
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
    Gigabyte AM2+ GA-MA78GM-S2H ver 1.1. BIOS (newest) F11
    NB: AMD780G. SB: AMD SB700
    RAM 8GB (2 kits @ 4GB each) G.Skill DDR2-1000 (F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ PC2-8000 x2 CL5-5-5-15) running as DDR2-800
    Case Antec P150
    PSU Corsair HX520W. (PSU calc by Corsair + NCIX; tested by TT Dr Power.)
    Cooling Xigmatek HDT-S1283 heatsink (Arctic Silver 5); 6 fans
    HDDs usable 1.7 TB (4 Seagates—3x 500GB SATA ST3500320AS w/SD1A + 1x 320GB PATA ST3320620A)
    Floppy
    Opticals (3): Pioneer SATA DVR-212D; LiteOn/Sony PATA CRX230AE; external USB Samsung SE-S204S DVD Writer
    Video ATI Radeon HD4670
    Monitor 22" LG W2242TQ w/Belkin DVI-D
    Sound Altec Lansing 5.1
    Mouses (2) Logi MX620 + Logi V220
    KB Simple Perfection backlit USB
    XP64
    No gaming; heavy simultaneous use of big programs
    System built Nov 2008

Should I go: "Told you so?!"

Well, not really. That post details quite a few techniques and tests, which I haven't seen elsewhere on the internet. It is intended to provide info for other people working with AHCI installations. So not only did you not tell anyone so—if you read what is here—but also you apparently failed to read as far as even the second sentence of the post.
    Last edited by Groonx2; 12-12-2008 at 10:38 PM.
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
    RAM 8GB (2 kits @ 4GB each) G.Skill DDR2-1000 (F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ PC2-8000 x2 CL5-5-5-15) running as DDR2-800
    Case Antec P150
    HDDs usable 1.7 TB (4 Seagates—3x 500GB SATA ST3500320AS w/SD1A + 1x 320GB PATA ST3320620A)
    Floppy
    Opticals (3): Pioneer SATA DVR-212D; LiteOn/Sony PATA CRX230AE; external USB Samsung SE-S204S DVD Writer
    Video ATI Radeon HD4670
    Sound Altec Lansing 5.1
    XP64
    System built Nov 2008

Don't get mad groonx2, I didn't mean to offend you by any means, I just said in my previous post that you'll save yourself some nerves if you don't try to enable AHCI after winxp has been installed in ide mode. What you was trying to do may work on an Intel system but on AMD...well, you can see yourself. Some people say it worked, some don't, figure that, but I think you should't take it on "Mr. Gigabyte" 'cause as you can see in your mobo manual there's no guide or explanation on how to do that, only how to setup AHCI before you install winxp.

Talking Re: AHCI after XP on GA-MA78GM-S2H (Port 4/5 Technique)

No problem, MyJoy. : But I found out WHY it is difficult to install AHCI after XP is on. Yesterday I did another very long session, which I'll post here. It was a great success, because I was actually able to either identify the source of the difficulty itself, or else to identify the "neighborhood" of the source.

Which was a surprise, as it turned out. In a nutshell, why should AHCI cause problems when XP is already on, and why should it be easier to add XP after AHCI?

Well, it turns out that the drivers for AHCI are themselves faulty. The ones I was testing are on the Gigabyte disk supplied with the GA-MA78GM-S2H version 1.1 motherboard, and are also on Gigabyte's website as downloads for that version. Whether the drivers on the disk and the downloadable drivers are identical, I don't know. But the problem is to some extent generic, so there must be a programming flaw built into at least quite a broad representation of those drivers.

Are you with me? This is pretty interesting stuff.

Here is the core of the problem: It makes no difference whether those (particular) drivers are added afterwards or before XP is on. That's right. I decided to take a broader view. When those drivers are placed on a floppy, for example, and the F6 method is used before an XP installation, the entire process will appear to work flawlessly until Windows fails to be able to read from those files later in its installation. I shall detail this out later, showing exactly where and when this occurs. I kept 8 pages of notes yesterday.

What tipped me off was that a number of people, here and there all over the web, were resorting to nLite slipstreaming, and their success seemed generally very good. The only problems I saw seemed to be with those folks who were less sure about how to use nLite itself.

So I made up an nLite disk and very easily the drivers slipstreamed into the system. What in the world!

It is entirely with the read/write programming on the drivers. Gigabyte needs to go back over its drivers, isolate those that are faulty, and rewrite them. Maybe the problem originates with AMD. I wouldn't know.

So all these end-users are not blundering along doing anything wrong. They are being supplied with bad products that are not trustworthy.

I was suspicious when my reading suggested that XP (or maybe XP 64 in particular; again, I don't know) was also reluctant to take to systems which were set up for it in the first place. That was an eye-opener. So I did quite a few hours experimenting, and these were my results.

More to be posted later. If you are someone reading this to find out what to do, well, you want to use nLite and slipstream the drivers in. If you are someone trying to get AHCI on after XP, you are quite likely going to find that the process won't work any better if you try to put on AHCI first and then XP. Not without slipstreaming the drivers.

Why? Because it is not a universal problem among drivers. Clearly it is a widespread problem, and it is written into a certain spectrum of drivers; but it isn't universal. That's why there is some degree of "different strokes for different folks" amongst proferred solutions on the net.

I also wondered why so many people were giving up. A lot of people said they had just abandoned the exercise. I thought that was strange, too. And it was: because for them, AHCI was just a bad deal that didn't work. No matter what they tried.

You can try pushing the cart, or you can try pulling the cart, but if the mule you're using is an alligator, you ain't going nowhere.
    Last edited by Groonx2; 12-15-2008 at 01:34 AM.
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
    Case Antec P150
    Floppy
    Video ATI Radeon HD4670
    Sound Altec Lansing 5.1
    XP64
    System built Nov 2008

So you ended up with clean install of xp from nLited disc? Satisfied with AHCI performance? Look, I have a 1.0 version of the board and it works like a charm, I can try and email you the AHCI drivers from the 1.0 version of the disc supplied if you want to try those, maybe they're different from version supplied with your board and from the site?

Hello,I have exactly the same problem with my Gigabyte GA-Ma770-DS3 Rev 2.0 running with phenom X3 8450 and 2 gigs of DDR2 800 CL4 Patriot ram . When trying to install AHCI drivers before XP installation (F6 during install) it fails to read one file ahcix86.ini. then the bluescreen appears. Turning AHCI mode after XP is installed results in countless restarts.
    Thanks to GroonX2 for making effort to check this case so accurately. Any ideas how to get guys from GIGABYTE know about that serious problem so that they can give us fixed and working drivers? I am a little pissed cause I spend money and expect to have Sata 2 and NCQ running - my previous Mobo with nForce 4 Ultra supported it but my shiny new gigabyte runs with native ide, and no NCQ.... Sorry I can't accept that and I think nobody who spend money on gigabyte mobo can.

EDIT: Right, i just tried out the method posted in GroonX2 's post - link to "I void guarantees blog" and it worked completely well for me, on my Mobo with 770 chipset. However windows after reboot found "unindentified pci device", so i reinstalled the southbridge drivers for my SB700 and during the installation windows found AMD RAID CONSOLE and AMD AHCI Compatibile RAID Controller in the SCSI devices tab.After reconnecting my disk to SATAII0 port windows started normally and as I am writing this words everything works fine.
    Last edited by Raven66; 01-11-2009 at 10:13 PM.

The "unindentified pci device" refers to drives that have not yet been connected to drivers, according to Windows. This function assigns the drivers, if present, to the hardware.

Some sources caution you to understand that it may assign IDE-mode drivers when you want SATA-mode, so you have to watch what you are doing, and where you are in the process.

However, once Windows has correctly taken on the AHCI drivers, it can be changed (via the BIOS) back and forth to IDE-mode, as the drivers remain in your Windows install.
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
    Case Antec P150
    Floppy
    Video ATI Radeon HD4670
    Sound Altec Lansing 5.1
    XP64
    System built Nov 2008

Hi,
    I surfed the net for hours trying to solve the same problem: NO AHCI on windows XP.
    I tried the F6 floppy solution (did not work dose not recognize drivers on disk)
    I tried the Slipstream nlite solution (finds disk formats, but when I restart I get a BLU screen)

So I then decied ti go ti Vista ....same problem. Adding Ahci drivers at reboot I get a error that is telling me to insert the Vists DVD.

I will try the switch disk solution tonight but I realy do not beleave it will work. Will update soon.
    I realy need the hot swap that comes with AHCI.

Sandro

Hi,

first post here :D just put together the system in my signature last weekend.

So, I installed Vista x64 without AHCI enabled. After installing the OS I successfully enabled AHCI after reading this article in M$ knowledge base:

Error message when you start a Windows Vista-based computer after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive: "STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

After editing the regisrty I rebooted the machine and set these configs in BIOS:

- OnChip SATA Type: AHCI
    - OnChip SATA Port 4/5 Type: IDE.

I do not use port 5. My vga blocks this port. I have 4 sata hard drives in ports 1, 2, 3 and 4.

After rebooting again, windows successfully recognized the hard drives in AHCI mode and installed the drivers, automatically.

Hope this helps.
    Amd Phenom II X3 720 - Corsair XMS2 2x2GB DDR800 - Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev 1.1 bios F8a - Visiontek HD4850 512mb - SB Audigy 2 ZS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information