Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AHCI after XP on GA-MA78GM-S2H (Port 4/5 Technique)

Default AHCI after XP on GA-MA78GM-S2H (Port 4/5 Technique)

This is becoming a brand new classic question.

Windows is already on, and now comes AHCI. The Port 4/5 Technique is detailed here:
    i void warranties: AMD 780G vs. AHCI

But I think I'm best to ask this in this forum. I want to know specifically:

1. How do I plug in my SATA drive with XP on it into this Port 4/5? Is this a physical thing I do with my fingers, or is it a selecting-buttons-and-pressing-on-them kind of activity?
    2. Where in the world IS Port 4/5?
    3. What settings do I tweak in the BIOS to create this magic? (I think they are spelled out in the article, but I want to be extra sure. By "extra sure" I mean I haven't got a clue.)

I have 3 HDDs: 2 SATA and 1 PATA. And I have a SATA DVD-RW, and a PATA CD-RW.

Physical connections:
    SATA HD with XP 64 on it: well, in the manual (page 25) the slot seems to be designated SATAll0. That's what it says.
    SATA HD for storage data: SATAll1
    DVD-RW: SATAll4
    (I can easily move those around if I've done something wrong there.)

I thought those might be ports, but the manual refers to them as SATA connectors, and never uses the word "port" in reference to them.

I have 2 empty SATA mobo slots: SATAll2 and SATAll3.

Er—the mobo manual can be downloaded from Gigabyte (in English, but via any of various locations) at
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - Manual Download

Once this is spelled out for me as though I know NOTHING, I shall learn it remarkably fast. Really I shall.

Thank you. (And I'm pretty sure there will likely be another 20 or 50 or 100 people invisibly following your advice here, too, maybe for the next couple of years.)
    Last edited by Groonx2; 12-08-2008 at 10:33 AM.
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
    Gigabyte AM2+ GA-MA78GM-S2H ver 1.1. BIOS (newest) F11
    NB: AMD780G. SB: AMD SB700
    RAM 8GB (2 kits @ 4GB each) G.Skill DDR2-1000 (F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ PC2-8000 x2 CL5-5-5-15) running as DDR2-800
    Case Antec P150
    PSU Corsair HX520W. (PSU calc by Corsair + NCIX; tested by TT Dr Power.)
    Cooling Xigmatek HDT-S1283 heatsink (Arctic Silver 5); 6 fans
    HDDs usable 1.7 TB (4 Seagates—3x 500GB SATA ST3500320AS w/SD1A + 1x 320GB PATA ST3320620A)
    Floppy
    Opticals (3): Pioneer SATA DVR-212D; LiteOn/Sony PATA CRX230AE; external USB Samsung SE-S204S DVD Writer
    Video ATI Radeon HD4670
    Monitor 22" LG W2242TQ w/Belkin DVI-D
    Sound Altec Lansing 5.1
    Mouses (2) Logi MX620 + Logi V220
    KB Simple Perfection backlit USB
    XP64
    No gaming; heavy simultaneous use of big programs
    System built Nov 2008

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: AHCI after XP on GA-MA78GM-S2H (Port 4/5 Technique)

SATA 4/5 means ports 4, and port 5 = (eSATA) on the board is all. Yes, in your manual SATA Connectors are "Ports" Here would be 4 and 5. Do keep in mind that link you gave is for a 6 ports board and your board only has 5, but it is very similar in all setting respect >>>>

If you want to use AHCI for your operating system all you need to do is set that in the BIOS and plug your SATA Hard drive you want the OS on into ports

Here is what you would use in the BIOS >>>

OnChip IDE Channel ................. Enabled for your IDE Drive

OnChip SATA Controller ..................... Enabled

OnChip SATA Type (SATAII0~SATAII3 connectors) ...... AHCI

OnChip SATA Port4/5 Mode (SATAII4/ESATA connectors) ..... IDE if you want to use these ports as non AHCI or "As SATA Type" if you want to use them as AHCI As well

Well, this is excellent! I have to puzzle over it a bit more, but I've almost got it.

Do keep in mind that link you gave is for a 6 ports board and your board only has 5, but it is very similar in all setting respect
    Mine is GA-MA78GM-S2H version 1.1. I think the person who originally suggested this idea simply made a mistake when he mentioned 6 connectors. A few comments following his suggestion also asked about that. There are 5.

[After several edits:]
    I'm taking a break now, back into all-PATA settings in the BIOS. I wonder whether I have the correct drivers. They should be, but they are not working. I have just had a lot of crashes as Windows attempts to start up. At the moment I've detached my SATA DVD-RW and my other SATA HDD. <Groan> For other folk coming along afterwards, indeed the job only works if it works. It sounds so very simple, but so far, not so good.

[After about 3 hours work:]
    Still unsuccessful. To reduce variables, I've disconnected my second SATA HDD and my SATA DVD. That leaves just one SATA HD, which is connected to Port 4. In the BIOS, I can make just one single adjustment which will allow XP 64 to come up or not: when I change OnChip SATA Type to SATA, the system invariably crashes during Windows' boot screen display. When I change that back to IDE, Windows comes up normally.

That detail all by itself is governing Windows. I don't get it.

I might try changing the system over to AHCI and setting up a second XP as a dual-boot system. (I like multi boot systems; have used them often.) Then I would have XP with AHCI. I'm not sure, but I think I might be able to even "reach over" from that second Windows install to fix the original one. Maybe.
    Last edited by Groonx2; 12-09-2008 at 06:04 AM.

Ahh, Ya I did not read the comments just the discussion/method posted... So I thought I would point out the port #'s mentioned. Guess I should have looked up the board and noted it was the same!

Sorry you are not on Intel, that is pretty easy to load the correct driver, shut down and switch to AHCI and reboot. That is what you are trying to accomplish in not so many works right?

I see you spent a lot of time above, couldn't you just reinstall with AHCI or am I missing something here?

Or are you trying to Keep Your OS as is/IDE and enable AHCI on those 4/5 ports only?

Actually if you do want to do that, or similar after looking at your manual again I think it would be easily accomplished this way >>>

OnChip SATA Type (SATAII0~SATAII3 connectors .................... AHCI

OnChip SATA Port4/5 Mode (SATAII4/ESATA connectors) ............. IDE

With this method you could just move your IDE OS Install to the port 4/5 and then use 0-3 for your AHCI Purposes without having to reinstall anything

@ Groonx2

I dunno why are you trying to install AHCI after XP has been loaded in IDE mode, hence, your HDD's are SATA, no matter if the BIOS setting says Native IDE, they're still SATA drives. If you want to enable AHCI, sleapstream AHCI drivers into your winXP installation with nLite and do a clean install, you'll save yourself from a lot of problems. There's no performance gains from setting AHCI or Native Ide, you'll only get longer boot-up periods with AHCI enabled. Simply plug your primary hdd (one with OS installed) to SATAII0, second drive to SATAII1, SATA DVD/RW to SATAII4, your IDE drive to IDE port and - enjoy.

One other thing, Christmas is comming, so please dear Lord, sweet baby Jesus, good Santa or whoever has influence on Gigabyte, please bring Lsdmeasap an AMD board and MAKE him build an HTPC so he won't be able to say anymore "I don't know much about AMD, I'm into Intel"! ;-))

Wink Re: AHCI after XP on GA-MA78GM-S2H (Port 4/5 Technique)

Thanks, both of you. @MyJoy, I am sure that is Lsdmeasap's strategy. "Sooner or later those guys are BOUND to send me a beautiful AMD because they can see how helpful I'd be if I had one of my own. ;}

Yes, I can just as easily stay with the IDE settings. It's been pointed out that the terms are misnomers anyway: both PATA and SATA are IDE drives, as opposed to SCSI drives.

Partly, however, I'd like to feel that I have the thing set up just the way I wanted to set it up. The whole computer-build project was based on that, because really it is more practical and maybe cheaper just to buy a pre-built computer. There is certainly nothing wrong with CHOOSING to set things as IDE, but I'd prefer not to set things to IDE because I'd failed to figure out how to set them to AHCI.

My logic is not too good there, I have to admit. . . .

I also have a case fan that is perplexing me. When I installed my Xigmatek cooler, I traded its Xigmatek fan for a Scythe. Then I used the Xig fan for the rear case fan, ousting Antec's Tri-Cool default case fan. (These are 120mm fans.)

BUT, the Xig fan on the case does not come on when the computer starts. The case is still wide open, as I'm still working on it—so maybe the Xig feels it is just not warm enough to bother coming on. Later I usually see it spinning.

Meanwhile, the air coming out of the Xigmatek cooler is indeed pretty cool. There doesn't seem to be a heat problem. The drives themselves are at 30º.

The Xigmetek fan has a 4-pin connector to the 4-hole mobo attachment. The nonstandard Scythe (used as CPU/cooler fan) has a 3-pin connector to the 4-hole CPU fan attachment. The Scythe was said to be a better idea, but I think I fell for too much internet talk; I think I might trade the fans back so that the Xig is with the Xig. Comments on that?
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
    RAM 8GB (2 kits @ 4GB each) G.Skill DDR2-1000 (F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ PC2-8000 x2 CL5-5-5-15) running as DDR2-800
    Case Antec P150
    HDDs usable 1.7 TB (4 Seagates—3x 500GB SATA ST3500320AS w/SD1A + 1x 320GB PATA ST3320620A)
    Floppy
    Opticals (3): Pioneer SATA DVR-212D; LiteOn/Sony PATA CRX230AE; external USB Samsung SE-S204S DVD Writer
    Video ATI Radeon HD4670
    Sound Altec Lansing 5.1
    XP64
    System built Nov 2008

The Xigmatek fan has an 4-pin PWM connector (pulse-width modulation) and Scythe has a usual 3-pin connector. Using the PWM Xigmatek fan on an 4-pin mobo attachement will allowe you to controll its speed with BIOS setting (set to PWM), meaning the fan will speed-up/slow-down according to CPU temperature.

Hmmm. . . .
    Well, then, maybe it is not surprising that the fan does not start right away. The temperature would be only room temperature there. I see the fan blades tremble, as though it is having difficulty making up its mind. But it doesn't start.

—Then, after a few minutes, I notice the blades are spinning. Leisurely. The hard drives are around 30º, and I don't yet have a CPU temperature readout.

Maybe I'll leave the fans as they are. No doubt there are 50 settings I don't know about, which should be adjusted; while I'm perplexing about things that don't really matter.
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
    Case Antec P150
    Floppy
    Video ATI Radeon HD4670
    Sound Altec Lansing 5.1
    XP64
    System built Nov 2008

You could disable System smart fan control.

Ya, a AMD Board and CPU could be greatly used here!

I'll look for System Smart Fan Control. Maybe I'll try that.

—I've spent most of the last two days, a lot of grueling hours, trying to figure out AHCI. Although I have downloaded the files from Gigabyte AND tried the files from my Gigabyte mobo disk, I keep getting nowhere with trying to use them. It makes me feel as though they are the wrong files, but that can't be.

I'd like to put on another XP install, but I want to solve this thing first. Besides, I am sure there will be other people coming here to view the results. Even if I knew that I would take AHCI off after I'd installed it, I would still want to succeed in the exercise.

I'll keep you posted. And somebody please buy Lsdmeasap a computer just like mine, so he can show me how it's done! :)
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
    Case Antec P150
    Floppy
    Video ATI Radeon HD4670
    Sound Altec Lansing 5.1
    XP64
    System built Nov 2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information