Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Saga #2 - Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz woes

Default Re: Saga #2 - Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz woes

run tests # 2 and 5 on memtest for a couple hours each. thats what most everyone considers to be the most accurate indication of your RAM stability.
    Gigabyte EP45- UD3P
    E8500 Wolfdale @ 4.1ghz
    2x2gb G.Skill PC6400, DDR864, 5-4-4-12
    (3)- Samsung 320gb Spinpoint hdd's in Raid 5
    ASUS TOP 4850 w/Glaciator Fansink
    Lite-On 16x DVD x 2
    D-Tek Fuzion WB
    Thermochill PA120.2 radiator
    2x120 SFF21-F fans
    Liang D5 pump

So if the CPU survives a few hours of Large FFT in Prime95, and the RAM survives the tests you mentioned in MemTest, what should I be looking at then as the possible culprit?

did you back your graphics booster to standard in the bios?

anyways... see where your memory maxes out stable in memtest then back it down 10mhz in the Windows environment......

ie- if you pass at DDR1000 as a max, then back it down to DDR990 for Windows stability.

possibly a bad driver install somewhere?

graphics issues?

i had a similiar problem as you about a week ago, but straightened it out by tweaking my memory a bit more. my rig would pass every benchmark i could do but then i'd get a BSOD just surfing the web?? backed off my memory timings a bit and backed off my GPU OC a bit and things were fine. temps were not an issue because i am on water.

look in the memory timings thread (last few pages of it) too see my problem and settings. i'm good now @ 4.1ghz, 5-5-5-15. i'd rather sacrifice timings for CPU speed anyday ;)
    Gigabyte EP45- UD3P
    E8500 Wolfdale @ 4.1ghz
    2x2gb G.Skill PC6400, DDR864, 5-4-4-12
    (3)- Samsung 320gb Spinpoint hdd's in Raid 5
    ASUS TOP 4850 w/Glaciator Fansink
    Lite-On 16x DVD x 2
    D-Tek Fuzion WB
    Thermochill PA120.2 radiator
    2x120 SFF21-F fans
    Liang D5 pump

I still have to test with MemTest, but I'll do that overnight when everyone else is asleep.

There is no "Standard" value for the RGB BIOS setting. Only Auto, Fast (Currently selected), and Turbo. Auto and Turbo have gotten BSODs before, but I'm not sure about fast. Also, the two HD3870X2s are not overclocked either (been there, done that, too much trouble).

Timings COULD be something to look at in my case too. I notice that the BIOS has 5-5-5-12 as the default values, as opposed to my RAM's EPP profile of 4-4-4-12. One millisecond apparently doesn't make much difference in reality, unless you do mass photo editing (which I do not, I just play games).

UPDATE: Ran Memtest for almost 8 1/2 hours overnight. That was about 15 passes. All of them showed zero errors.

Can I rule out the memory? What's the next step?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

The PC went BSOD again just now. All I was doing was surfing Firefox! Went into the BIOS and raised the Vcore, and changed RGB back to Auto.

This is really starting to annoy me! Prime95/MemTest running is flawless, but the thing craps its parts when doing miniscule things like surfing or idling!!

Could I disable TM2, or is that a very bad idea?

It does seem that 45nm Quad Cores require somewhat low Vcore but lots of NB and VTT (is this FSB?) voltages. In any case, I don't know what else to try now :(

Update: It just passed a near 8 1/2 hour Large FFT test done by "Orthos" and didn't BSOD or anything.

Also, I've got Loadline Cal set to "Disable" - is this correct or should I have it at something else?
    Last edited by Nova Phoenix; 12-15-2008 at 04:15 AM.

I would not disable TM2, and I doubt it would have an effect anyway

You may need more vcore and less Vtt. Vtt is Voltage termination between the CPU and MCH. MCH is your Northbridge

Ya, LLC Disabled.

What Skews are you using? If not, try some (150CPU/250MCH)

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    I would not disable TM2, and I doubt it would have an effect anyway

You may need more vcore and less Vtt. Vtt is Voltage termination between the CPU and MCH. MCH is your Northbridge

Ya, LLC Disabled.

What Skews are you using? If not, try some (150CPU/250MCH)
    LLC is currently enabled, but at the moment, it does not seem to be doing any harm. Could be what I needed. But as always, don't quote me on that.

I'm using the skews you suggested back in your post, post #16. You said 50 for CPU and 150 for GMCH. Are you now suggesting I raise them to 150 and 250 respectively?

Currently the Vcore (set in BIOS) is about 1.26v, which fluctuates with CPU-Z of course. I've had problems at various points no matter what it is set to, whether it be at the chip's VID or at it's safety maximum.

Is VTT voltage the same as FSB voltage? Because all I have is FSB voltage. My BIOS - still the latest, does not have a VTT option even after Ctrl+F1.

However, it does have CPUGTLREF 1 and 2 available when Ctrl+F1 is used. Would they help or would they just hinder? All they have is a few options: +3% and -3%, stuff like that.

Well if you think LLC was needed then all you really need to do is disable it and add more vcore.

Skews, ya you can try any setting for stability for sure and it may help or may not

Yes Vtt is FSB Voltage

You can try those gtlref settings, try +3 on 1 and -3 on the other

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information