Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: HPET error in event log

Default HPET error in event log

I have a GA M57SLI -S4 motherboard with Award MOdular BIOS v6.00 PG
    in my event log I get this error everytime I start my computer.

Initialization of the High Precision Event Timer failed due to a BIOS configuration problem.
    The operating system will use another available platform timer in lieu of the High Precision Event Timer.
    Contact your system vendor for technical assistance.
    Initialization status: 1.

I dont know if this is the right place to contact for assistance cause it said to contact the vendor which is gigabyte.
    Do you think there is something wrong with the board it self? like some hard ware issues? should I send it back to RMA?
    I am using window vista ultima 64 bit?
    and I have it in the bios enabled and set to 64 bit already and yet I still have the same problem.
    I installed the nforce 5 drivers for the board and I have the bios updated but the problem still exist.

Default Re: HPET error in event log

by the way I am using a amd athlon X2 6000+ as my CPU and 8800 GTS as my graphic card? but does that have anything to do with it?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Did you load optimized defaults yet? If not, please do so, save/apply/reboot BACK to the BIOS as you will have to set ALL your settings again including SATA/Disk settings. Then check to be sure you have HPET Set to 64bit

I am not sure, nor could I find if that CPU Support HPET. You may want to disable the setting, that should for sure eliminate the error

*EDIT*

I see you do not have this setting at all in your BIOS, so your board or AMD Boards/CPU's in general may not support this feature. So you would likely use ACPI Timer

Sorry to bump this thread but i'm having the same problem

I have a GA M57SLI-S4 M/B with a AMD 6000x2 processor and a 8800GTX

We do have a HPET 32 or 64 option in our BIOS, and i still get this error no matter if its set to 32 or 64, i have tried many of the BIOS updates and still the same error.

I have also tried both Vista x32 and x64, and the error shows up in both OS logs

I also notice i crash when trying to run EQ2 and and a video at the same time. The PC will lock up into a sound loop. I know that HPET controls the timing of multimedia and am guessing these 2 issues are related somehow.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

So is my motherboard screwed ?

I cant see any other reason why i would get the HPET error in event log with it enabled in BIOS.

Disable HPET! Seems buggy on many motherboards. I have found it to be a cause of random system freezes, as well as the occasional same-low-address 0xA bluescreen (the low address points to "motherboard resources" which looks like a clue to HPET being the cause).

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Is it even worth using for anything? I always have it on, but never know what it does for me even after I read about it.

Thread Information