Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ud3p + e8400

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Ud3p + e8400

Ya, I knew it would change with Vtt for sure, but I always wondered why EasyTune always showed the same no matter what. I think it always shows the same for me, manually set ref's or auto it is always the same

Ya, I have not got B strap to work well at 450 FSB, I can boot it but not very stable at all

That is very good for stock vcore!

Since I think that my max on stock Vcore is 428x9 3852, I decided to try some higher voltages.

So far I was working on 470x9 4230 on 1.3625 in bios which is 1.316 or 1.326?? in windows. Anyway thats as far as it seemed to go. I tried a couple things and it didnt matter. I started with all the other settings I had, just raised the Vcore to 1.3625v and MCH to 1.4v. Messing w/ VTT/PLL ect.. didnt gain me anything.

I plan to run it on stock voltage/normal in bios as other than that the low power state doesnt work and its plenty for me. The reason I built this was to save power, have a faster setup, more ram and try Vista 64bit. So I am very happy with 3.8Ghz for everyday that throttles down to 2550 @.9v in windows as I am running 425x9 as my 24/7 settings. On my old AMD Opteron setup I used "RMclock" to have 1120Mhz@.9v at idle and it ramped up to 2520@1.4v.

This new rig also runs much cooler, I just wish BIOS or "Smart Fan" would let me shut off the CPU fan at idle as thats how I ran my old setup. RIght Now I removed an 80mm fan that I used to run and have both 120mm fans on the low power fan connectors from the Antec PSU, idle is 25 deg C with the CPU fan as low as it will run ~800rpm. The only thing I hear is the hard drives and this stupid beeping from the board running on low power.

Since I am most concerned with the lower power states, I'm currently priming the 2552 @ 1.072v in windows to make sure its stable(this is what I get w/ DES/C1E/C2E/C4E/EIST enabled at 6x425). So far with the CPU fan still set to as low as it can go the highest temp I hit priming is 31C, lol. I have also tightened up my mem timings as far or close to what I think I can. I wish I had some different ram w/ tighter 800mhz timings and 1.8v rating, lol, but for the price I'm happy for 4GB.
    Last edited by SpeedEuphoria; 12-15-2008 at 03:10 PM.

Stock/Auto Vtt and PLL will KILL your CPU if you are overclocked, you HAVE to manually set these for sure

Beeping? What is that? Sorry I dont have a UD3 board is there some new function/annoyance?

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Stock/Auto Vtt and PLL will KILL your CPU if you are overclocked, you HAVE to manually set these for sure

Beeping? What is that? Sorry I dont have a UD3 board is there some new function/annoyance?
    I dont have them on auto, just at the voltage that they are supposed to be. Then "normal" for Vcore wich is just the default 1.25v. Yes "Auto" will overvolt things a lot

I'm calling right now to see whats going on with this DES noise.

EDIT: I just switched back to the F5 bios and the noise went away. It seems that with the F5 bios DES only goes down to 1.07v at idle using 2Phases of power when OC'ing. When stock clocks it will have 3 small green boxes that say 1,2,3 if you click 3 then it will drop the Vcore down to .9v and still keep 2phases of power on, but any OC and those boxes disappear and it will only go down to 1.07v. With the F7a I was using it went down to .9v and used 1 phase of power on the board with OC'ing and still the 3 boxes are gone. It seems that was too much for just 1 phase as it was screaming at me. I'm going to try F4 and F6a to see how those react as it would be nice to have 2phases of power and still get the Vcore down to .9v

The difference in DES's display "CPU power" was at ~1.5watts idle w/ F7a and its ~4.5watts w/ F5
    Last edited by SpeedEuphoria; 12-16-2008 at 03:49 AM.

this is a newbie question but im having a hell of a time.

I have the exact same setup as you (UD3P+E8400+2X2GB OCZ Plat) but i can't even get the memory to run in dual channel, it won't post. I've been reading around the boards a couple hours but still pretty lost, any advice? not really trying to OC seeing as i only have a loner 7800GT for the time being so i just want to get this thing running. thanks for any input.

BTW: i haven't played with any of the settings so everything is still set to auto.

Ahh ok, well stock Vtt is not going to work very far with overclocking, so add some for sure.

@ pilkarz, Auto is just not going to work for 2x2GB. Try at least these changes, with one stick of ram in only set these settings in the BIOS save and shut down and put in your other stick in dual channel. Set Performance enhance to standard, Set MCH voltage to 1.24-1.28, set your ram voltage to what you see on the sticker (normally 2.0-2.1), set trfc to 68 for now, make sure Static tRead on Both channels is at least 7-8(if CPU is at stock, 10 otherwise)

That should get your going. If you need more help post back and I can give you full set of settings if you cannot find any around the site. Should be some for you in this thread if you do have the same setup as the SpeedEuphoria. Once you make those changes noted above you should be able to boot, if not let me know and I will give you a full set of loose settings so you can get going

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Ahh ok, well stock Vtt is not going to work very far with overclocking, so add some for sure.

@ pilkarz, Auto is just not going to work for 2x2GB. Try at least these changes, with one stick of ram in only set these settings in the BIOS save and shut down and put in your other stick in dual channel. Set Performance enhance to standard, Set MCH voltage to 1.24-1.28, set your ram voltage to what you see on the sticker (normally 2.0-2.1), set trfc to 68 for now, make sure Static tRead on Both channels is at least 7-8(if CPU is at stock, 10 otherwise)

That should get your going. If you need more help post back and I can give you full set of settings if you cannot find any around the site. Should be some for you in this thread if you do have the same setup as the SpeedEuphoria. Once you make those changes noted above you should be able to boot, if not let me know and I will give you a full set of loose settings so you can get going
    ok just tried the exact settings in the first post (except keeping the latch and multipliers to keep 3GHz/1066), in both slots, and with MCH upped to 1.28 also. i'm at a loss here. updated to f5 bios.

possibly dumb question, would i have to up the memory multiplier to get it to 1333?
    Last edited by pilkarz; 12-17-2008 at 10:32 AM.

Your using the correct memory slots right? Should be yellow, or if that doesnt work , try red slots

By dual channel do you mean that you can only use 1 stick, or that it says its single channel?

What I would do is use 1 stick in the 1st slot(yellow), boot up and set the Dram V to 2.06, set the MCH to 1.28, set the mem timings to auto and "standard", set the mem frequency to 800 wich would be the 333 latch and 2.40B I think?

Then reboot just to make sure that 1 stick works. Shut it down, add the other stick in the other yellow slot. Try to boot, if it doesnt boot, turn off power, take out both sticks and switch the positions and try to boot again. If it does the beep-beep-beep thing when you 1st tried both sticks, then just take the 2nd stick out and go back in to bios and set those things again. Then turn off, switch the sticks position and try it. If that doesnt work, do the same thing w/ the Red slots and switch the order of the sticks(yes this can make the difference). In my last build I could OC the ram farther when a certain stick was in the 1st slot. On this rig, if I start off defaults it will not boot w/ 2 sticks if I switch the order, only when I make the changes I posted about can i boot with 2 sticks, so I leave the order as they are b/c it is a pain to have to remove memory if I push to far and it wont boot.

If that doesnt work, try just the 1 stick, which would be the one in the 1st slot now.

See if that works. If so, then you can try to loosen the timings, add more MCH(1.34) and Dram V(2.1v) and try both sticks again.

If that does not work, then 1 stick is likely bad, best thing to do would be to just use 1 stick and run memtest. I have allways had best(fastest) results with looping test 5 or test 7. I would run it for 8hrs if you can. Then do the same with the other stick.
    Last edited by SpeedEuphoria; 12-20-2008 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedEuphoria View Post
    Your using the correct memory slots right? Should be yellow, or if that doesnt work , try red slots

By dual channel do you mean that you can only use 1 stick, or that it says its single channel?

What I would do is use 1 stick in the 1st slot(yellow), boot up and set the Dram V to 2.06, set the MCH to 1.28, set the mem timings to auto and "standard", set the mem frequency to 800 wich would be the 333 latch and 2.40B I think?

Then reboot just to make sure that 1 stick works. Shut it down, add the other stick in the other yellow slot. Try to boot, if it doesnt boot, turn off power, take out both sticks and switch the positions and try to boot again. If it does the beep-beep-beep thing when you 1st tried both sticks, then just take the 2nd stick out and go back in to bios and set those things again. Then turn off, switch the sticks position and try it. If that doesnt work, do the same thing w/ the Red slots and switch the order of the sticks(yes this can make the difference). In my last build I could OC the ram farther when a certain stick was in the 1st slot. On this rig, if I start off defaults it will not boot w/ 2 sticks if I switch the order, only when I make the changes I posted about can i boot with 2 sticks, so I leave the order as they are b/c it is a pain to have to remove memory if I push to far and it wont boot.

If that doesnt work, try just the 1 stick, which would be the one in the 1st slot now.

See if that works. If so, then you can try to loosen the timings, add more MCH(1.34) and Dram V(2.1v) and try both sticks again.

If that does not work, then 1 stick is likely bad, best thing to do would be to just use 1 stick and run memtest. I have allways had best(fastest) results with looping test 5 or test 7. I would run it for 8hrs if you can. Then do the same with the other stick. You should be
    ok so the ram runs in dual channel with the sticks at 800MHz but this makes me think that i wasted money on 1066... or is this just going to take a lot of tweaking?

edit: thanks for the help btw!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information