Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-MA78GM-S2H rev 1.1 SATA HDD / WinXP problem!

Default GA-MA78GM-S2H rev 1.1 SATA HDD / WinXP problem!

Hi,
    I haven't built a new PC in about 4/5years, so I'm abit of a newbie again.

PC specs I just purchased:
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000
    GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G
    OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400
    Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB Hard Drive SATA II 7200rpm *32MB Cache*

I'v been trying to set this system up for 10hours now with no luck... and i've ran out of coffee :(

The problem is; The mobo can't detect my sata hard drive. On the Post screen it only shows my DVD drive and hangs for about 30seconds before going to the next screen that boots up windows install, but ofc it can't find a device to install it on.

I've tried:
    1 Ram stick
    Safe settings in bios
    Sata Port 1,2,3 and 5 (will try 4 after this post)
    Different sata cables
    Cmos Clear
    *cursing out loudly*
    Tried with graphics card in and out (currently out)
    Tried with IDE HDD (set as slave, it finds that but not sata)
    Tried pressing f6 in windows setup (it doesn't respond when i press it, countinues to autamic recovery, if i press f2 that, that works :S )
    Qflash at bios (says theres nothing on floppy disk, though would updating my bios to F5 fix this problem? )

I don't really want it to be the mobo/hdd fault, so i'll try anything before RMA. I have little faith because in my many many restarts i did actualy see another device in the IDE on POST screen but it just crashed on that screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and i'll reply here if I find the problem. It seems like a common problem with the board (from the zillion forums i have read) but without a fix?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-MA78GM-S2H rev 1.1 SATA HDD / WinXP problem!

What do you have set in integrated peripherals page?? This is where you need to set your disk settings

Also remove the jumper off the back of the drive if there is one

I can give you settings to use and what ports to plug your drives into but I need to know what system you are installing and how you want your drives to run (AHCI or IDE mode)

Thank you for your reply.

Its set to Native IDE. if set to RAID or AHCI it doesn't detect the drive when looking for an array.

Yeah the jumper is removed.

I just want best performance out of my hard drive.. but right now i'm not fussy i just want it to work :D

I've talked to people and they say i need to F6 at windows install to install the RAID/ACHI drivers. i've tried this but it says its missing a file.

But i got told every motherboard made in last 2years has got auto detect sata built in.

really stuck with this problem, if someone could point me in the right direction or send me known working AMD SB700 SATA drivers, would be greatly appreciated!

You can see here and PM "Nanohead" about a driver as he knows where to get the correct one that is not bundled (Also mentioned in this post where to get them) >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-m...33/#post258626

Yes, AHCI would need a driver, and RAID of course would need a driver and two disks

If you do not use AHCI or RAID your drive should be picked up fine. IDE Mode would be what it would be marked as which is normal.

Is your XP Install disk up to date? Meaning SP2 or latter? If not you will need to get one or slipstream you a disk to install XP if you have a PCI Express GFX Card.

Yeah i've tried up to date drivers but still no luck in finding the SATA. It doesn't detect it at all in NATIVE IDE.

XP i'm installing is pro / SP2.

Did you try AHCI then instead of Native? Did you PM that Member?

Thread Information