Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Strange EX58 UD5 problem...

Default Strange EX58 UD5 problem...

Edit: Solved - ENERMAX POWER SUPPLY INFINITY SERIES ARE NOT COMPATIBILE WITH EX58 UD5 (maybe all gigabyte EX58 series) BECAUSE OF THE COOLGUARD FEATURE.

Ok so I got this MB + I7 920 and some sweet Kingston HX 2000Mhz @1.65V 3x1GB. The memory is installed in the white slots. In bios everything is default (Auto) except Performance Enhance is not set on Turbo, but Standard. The system boots ok the memory runs @ 1066 Mhz. I installed Windows XP x64 without any problem, it runs smooth. But...and there's a big BUT, when I try to modify any frequency setting except PCIe Freq, it won't post anymore. It goes into loop which ends with 88 code and restart. Also in this loop there are some pops in the speaker when code is C1. This even happens when I try to modify the memory multiplier to x6, x8 or to change the cpu clock ratio from Auto to x20 (default)!!! I have tryied with 2 corsair xms @1600 Mhz 2x2GB, with 1 module on 1st white slot, almost every combination. Same thing. I only have to reset the bios to the default values and its ok after that. Anyway if some of you have any clue about this it will be appreciated. I threw a lot of money on that memory kit and I can't stand it to run @ 1066 , even corsair can't be run on other speed than default 1066. Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by sysod; 12-12-2008 at 03:59 AM.

Default Re: Strange EX58 UD5 problem...

disable legacy usb support.

are you turning the xmp profile on?

Thanks for answers! I will try the to turn off the legacy on USB when I will get home and let you know the results. Yes I wanted to use the xmp profiles but the same thing happens. It works only with it disabled.

I got home and 1st thing I disabled the USB Legacy in bios and I pluged in a PS/2 keyboard. Next after reboot I enabled xmp and the same reboot loop took place. I'm so pissed off right now. Same thing happens with the corsair kit. I mean why on earth my board wants only 1066 Mhz (Auto) on RAM and why I can't change CPU ratio?? I think I will throw is MB to trash. I called the store service where I bought the board and they told me this is new and the memory is incompatible so they can't do anything...

PS: I checked with F3 and F4k bioses

PPS: Could be a bad capacitor on the board as I have the same annoying sound like this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvMTOIDbB9A
    Last edited by sysod; 12-11-2008 at 11:18 PM.

I found the source of this problem: the power supply
    Currently I have an Enermax Infinity 650W. As I was out of options, I tested the motherboard with an old Enermax Noistaker 485W with only one 12V MB connector and IT WORKS!!! I run my HX Kingston @1995 MHZ :) I switched back to the new PS connected only one 12V plug but no luck same reboot loop solved by a bios reset and system works only @ auto/default settings. I will try the PS with an abit IP35 Pro to see if really has problems or is just an incompatibility with EX58-UD5.

Tested the PS with Abit board and it seems the PS is a big fail. Same reboot loop there too. I'm glad it's not a motherboard problem.
    Last edited by sysod; 12-12-2008 at 02:45 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Well as Enermax said:
    "CoolGuard:
    The new patent feature, running not only PSU fan after shutdown, but all system fans to get the heat out of the system and increasing system lifetime by up to 20%. "

After the shutdown all the coolers connected to the MB(not only the PSU's fan) are running for about 1 min. The way I see it is that when I modify something in BIOS like freq. or voltage, after save it shuts down for a second and I think the Cool Gurad feature takes control as it interprets that event as a normal shutdown corrupting the bios. I tested the PSU on the Abit board and there it do the same. After bios reset it starts with checksum error.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Thread Information