Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: OC Help: 3.58GHz Q6600 & EP45-UD3P

Default Re: OC Help: 3.58GHz Q6600 & EP45-UD3P

Quote Originally Posted by reason View Post
    Got another question: Are you using a fan on the MCH? If so, which one did you use? I just looked at the OC'ing guide here on tweaktown and it mentions one. I am going to purchase one soon but wanted to get some idea of what people are using. Thanks!
    I don't have a Northbridge-dedicated fan since it stays around 41C under full load. I have 5 120mm Yate Loon D12SL-12's running at 7 volts each in the main cage of my P182.

Question about memtest and this board: Memtest gives me no errors for a specific frequency when testing the ram but sometimes, the board will reboot and I will get the red screen in MIT about overclocking settings not taking. Which should I believe? memtest or the board? Which settings should I go with when enterting these frequencies into the bios?

The reason I am asking is because I am going over the overclockers guide here and it recommends checking settings for memory.

Thanks!

The red screen does not mean that the problem is specifically memory related. If you run memtest fine, it's probably something else such as your voltage settings.

Post your BIOS settings using Lsdmeasap's template.

Quote Originally Posted by imprezastipwr View Post
    The red screen does not mean that the problem is specifically memory related. If you run memtest fine, it's probably something else such as your voltage settings.

Post your BIOS settings using Lsdmeasap's template.
    Okay. I will post those tomorrow.

Question: Both you and I have the same CPU, mobo, and memory. I noticed that you have yours memory frequency set for 800 - 796mhz and FSB at 398. When I followed the overclockers guide here, I was able to set my memory at 329 in memtest (329*3=987mhz) for max memory. Why is yours only set for 796mhz? With that in mind, why is your FSB at 398 instead of the 329mhz (or something similar) for FSB in relation to the memory?

I know the guide is not updated for this board, but I am using those recommendations for understanding how all this works. There seems to be alot you can tweak in the bios and eliminating this one factor has helped out a bit.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

C1E and EIST Should be disabled for sure for now, since you are having issues with your overclock.

Ya, Memtest86+ passing only means your ram is stable. How long are you testing using Memtest86+ anyway?

Red Warning in the BIOS could mean one or many of your other voltages (CPU/MCH) related could be incorrect still

You have your ram speed math mixed up with something else maybe I think?

Ram speed is always >>>
    FSB X Ram Multi = Ram Freq

Or are you using 3.00 Ram multi? If so, you maybe should not if you are using 333 FSB, use Multi's on the B Strap (Ending in B)

If you set 1,5v in bios and get 1,4v under load, then its 1,4v the cpu draws not 1,5v.
    I have testing this alot with temps on diffrent boards. So the volt you use under load you have to go after. And a 65nm can handle 1,4-1,5v on good air and up to 1,6v on water and the temps are good of course. Have seen many folks use 1,5 and more on their 65nm for monthes and thay are still good=)

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    C1E and EIST Should be disabled for sure for now, since you are having issues with your overclock.

Ya, Memtest86+ passing only means your ram is stable. How long are you testing using Memtest86+ anyway?

Red Warning in the BIOS could mean one or many of your other voltages (CPU/MCH) related could be incorrect still

You have your ram speed math mixed up with something else maybe I think?

Ram speed is always >>>
    FSB X Ram Multi = Ram Freq

Or are you using 3.00 Ram multi? If so, you maybe should not if you are using 333 FSB, use Multi's on the B Strap (Ending in B)
    My ram is stable at 329. I am testing with Memtest86+ for 3 passes. I just read somewhere that some were using it for 6 or more hours to see if the memory is bad. I have not done this yet. Should I?

Everything was still on auto which I changed as soon as I realized this. I was following the guide and since it did not mention anything about the other voltages, I simply changed the CPU multiplier from 6 (for testing) to 9. I'll upload the template as soon as I reboot the machine after prime 95 testing. I am stable with no errors for 11hrs and 4 minutes as of this writing. I have not been able to get to this point until last night after following the guide.

It's possible I have something mixed up. I am using a multi of 3.00A strapping for a memory frequency of 987mhz (DDR2800@5-5-5-18 v2.1 [Stockv1.8]). I was trying to follow the guide as far as the multiplier goes for the FSB but the UD3P boards have more options for multipliers. That is why I used 3.00A

I am not using FSB of 333 as my memory would not handle it in memtest above 329 but that was at 3.00A strapping. Would this matter? Would changing the voltages from auto and changing the strapping increase my FSB frequency? With that in mind, would it lower my memory frequency? As I said, I noticed that my memory could go to 987mhz @ 329mhz*3 compared to imprezastipwr who is at 796mhz?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmasøyten View Post
    If you set 1,5v in bios and get 1,4v under load, then its 1,4v the cpu draws not 1,5v.
    I have testing this alot with temps on diffrent boards. So the volt you use under load you have to go after. And a 65nm can handle 1,4-1,5v on good air and up to 1,6v on water and the temps are good of course. Have seen many folks use 1,5 and more on their 65nm for monthes and thay are still good=)
    Easytune shows 1.4v and cpu-z shows v1.312. Temps after 11hrs are at 51 50 50 47 under load with Prime95 running. I am going to try and lower the vcore after I get 24hrs of stable running.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ram at 329 does not tell me much, I would need to know what Multi you are multiplying that by.

I recommend 5-10 FULL passes with Memtest86+ to be sure of stability on ram, the speed of the ram and amount decides how long that would take so a hourly amount is not a feasible suggestion. Just 5-10 passes would be good

Ahh sorry I reply as I read... Silly me!

As I said above you should use B strap, but if you are stable using A then for sure use it! Just keep in mind if you ram fails and you think it should not be then switch to the B Strap

About your FSB 333 and strap questions. There is multi's under 3.0 on the 333/B Strap

Here is what Memory Multi's are available for what straps >>>

Would changing the voltages from auto and changing the strapping increase my FSB frequency?
    I am not sure what voltage you mean by that? And the only thing that will change your FSB Freq is if you manually change it yourself (CPU Host Frequency (Mhz)

Once you give me your settings I will advise you back optimal ranges for your Settings as you have them. What CPU speed are you wanting to run anyway?

EasyTune ONLY shows what you set in the BIOS. CPU-z voltages is what you want to look at, at idle and load

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Ram at 329 does not tell me much, I would need to know what Multi you are multiplying that by.

Multi is 3.00A

I recommend 5-10 FULL passes with Memtest86+ to be sure of stability on ram, the speed of the ram and amount decides how long that would take so a hourly amount is not a feasible suggestion. Just 5-10 passes would be good

I ran 3 passes as per the guide. Should I go back and do 5-10?

Ahh sorry I reply as I read... Silly me!

Heh, no problem. My items are in bold after your questions :)

As I said above you should use B strap, but if you are stable using A then for sure use it! Just keep in mind if you ram fails and you think it should not be then switch to the B Strap

Its not failing. I just ran Prime95 for 24 hours at 2.96Ghz with no errors. Which multi of B would I use? Wouldn't B strap be faster though? Its at a higher multi. But yes, A is working for me.

About your FSB 333 and strap questions. There is multi's under 3.0 on the 333/B Strap

If I change the strap to B, I should run memtest again to find the new frequency right? Which would be better for me? Strap A or B?

Here is what Memory Multi's are available for what straps >>>

I am not sure what voltage you mean by that? And the only thing that will change your FSB Freq is if you manually change it yourself (CPU Host Frequency (Mhz)

I have 329 for CPU Host Frequency because that is the number I used when running memtest with strap A to find out how high my memory would go as per the guide.

Once you give me your settings I will advise you back optimal ranges for your Settings as you have them. What CPU speed are you wanting to run anyway?

Okay thanks. I will include that at the bottom of this message. I am currently at 2.96 and I would like to reach 3.0/3.2 or even 3.4 would be nice on air but I am not sure I will be able to get to 3.4 as I do not have the very best case. It only have 2 80mm rear fans and 1 80mm fan on the side of the case. Question: Should the fan on the side blow air in or push it out? It is right above the xigmatek heatsink and fan.

EasyTune ONLY shows what you set in the BIOS. CPU-z voltages is what you want to look at, at idle and load

Stable 2.96Ghz @ 24hrs

Bios settings bellow:

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
    Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto
    CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 9
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0
    CPU Frequency ...........................: 2.96GHz (329*9)

9Clock Chip Control
    Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 329
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........: 100
    C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
    CPU Clock Drive...........................: 800
    PCI Express Clock Drive.................: 900
    CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: 50
    MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: 150

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: N/A (Not displayed)
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
    System Memory Multiplier ..............: 3.00A
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 800 987
    DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time............................... 5
    tRCD .......................................... 5
    tRP............................................ 5
    tRAS….......................................... 18

Advanced Timing Control
    tRRD........................................... 3 [Auto]
    tWTR........................................... 3 [Auto]
    tWR............................................ 6 [Auto]
    tRFC........................................... 54
    tRTP........................................... 3 [Auto]
    Command Rate (CMD) ............................ 2

Driving Strength Profiles
    Driving Strength ............................ 1066Mhz

Channel A Timing setting
    Static tRead Value.........................: 11
    tRD Phase0 Adjustment....................:0 [Auto]
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment.....................:0 [Auto]
    tRD Phase2 Adjustment ...................:0 [Auto]
    tRD Phase3 Adjustment...................: 0 [Auto]
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)...................: 8 [Auto]
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................: 8 [Auto]
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................: 7 [Auto]
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)...................: 9 [Auto]
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...................: [Auto]
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...................: [Auto]

Channel B
    Static tRead Value........................:11
    tRD Phase0 Adjustment....................:1 [Auto]
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment.....................:0 [Auto]
    tRD Phase2 Adjustment ...................:0 [Auto]
    tRD Phase3 Adjustment...................: 0 [Auto]
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)...................: 8 [Auto]
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................: 8 [Auto]
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................: 7 [Auto]
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)...................: 9 [Auto]
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...................: [Auto]
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...................: [Auto]

Motherboard Voltage Control

Load-Line Calibration .................. Disabled
    CPU Vcore….………..........................: 1.40000V
    CPU Termination…........................: 1.460V
    CPU PLL…………………..........................: 1.500V
    CPU Referen.…………........................: 0.760 [Auto]

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core……………........................: 1.200V
    MCH Reference ……………………… …………… .......: [Auto]
    MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: [Auto]
    ICH I/O………………........................: 1.590V
    ICH Core………….........................: 1.300V

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage …….......................: 2.100
    DRAM Termination ………….................: [Auto]
    Channel A Reference ………………………….......: [Auto]
    Channel B Reference ……. …………..........: [Auto]

Advanced Settings
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Disabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled]

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect .............. [Enabled]
    Intel Q6600 2.4ghz Quad Core @ 3.2ghz OC
    Xigmatek HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler
    Corsair 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
    Gigabye GA-EP45-UD3P
    Basic Tower Case 3x 80mm Fans (with side vent and cone)
    Lite-ON DVD Burner iHAS220-08
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB WD5000AAKS SATA 3.0Gb/s
    Jaton GeForce 7300GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16
    Cooler Master Real Power Pro RS-650-ACAA-A1 650W ATX Form Factor 12V V2.3

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information