Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-EX58-UD5 triple channel RAM (blue slots) and error code 69

Default GA-EX58-UD5 triple channel RAM (blue slots) and error code 69

I've been searching for solutions to this problem and found out that I'm not the only one. Another board member here named Stephen seems to have the same issue as well.

Here's a description to the problem; The instruction manual says that, in order to set up triple channel configuration for the system memory, three sticks have to be used on the blue slots. (1, 3 and 5.) When this is done, the system starts, but the motherboard refuses to initialize at all, with nothing displayed on the monitor. Upon checking the debug LED mounted on the motherboard, it displays the code "69", which doesn't help much since the instruction manual does not have any of the debug LED codes listed. (The list on the instruction manual are for POST menu.)

Now, when the RAM sticks are plugged into the white slots, (2, 4 and 6) the system works flawlessly.

I've contacted Gigabyte support via e-mail with thorough details, but it seems that they have no idea about the issue, and keeps suggesting that I turn in the entire board for RMA. But, honestly, considering the fact that the board is already solidly screwed to the case, not to mention that I have LCS tubes running all over inside the case, the idea of taking the thing out for what could be either the faulty RAM sticks or simple typo on the instruction manual doesn't appeal to me.

Has anyone else have had this type of problem and manage to figure out an answer to what's causing it?
    Last edited by enomosiki; 12-12-2008 at 05:32 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-EX58-UD5 triple channel RAM (blue slots) and error code 69

Well the error codes are listed in the manual, in the very back... But all I see is 69h, and it says "Turn on L2 Cache"

If you cannot do that, or it is useless info I would RMA or just keep using the board with the White slots as it works great you say

*Pre-Post Edit*

Hey, that is how it is supposed to work >>>
    When enabling 3 Channel mode with three memory modules, be sure to install them in the DDR3_1, DDR3_3 and DDR3_5 sockets
    Slots mentioned above are slots 2, 4, and 6 which are the white slots. So sounds to me as if the board is working properly

Quote Originally Posted by enomosiki View Post
    I've been searching for solutions to this problem and found out that I'm not the only one. Another board member here named Stephen seems to have the same issue as well.
    The white slots are the correct slots to install the memory if you are running triple channel. My problems are probably (hopefully) issues with the bios, sata, bios voltage settings & how it handles memory timings.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Well the error codes are listed in the manual, in the very back... But all I see is 69h, and it says "Turn on L2 Cache"
    Well, that code list is for the POST menu, which are most likely different sets of codes used by the debug LED on the motherboard.

Yeah, at first I had the same assumption that enabling the L2 cache would do the trick, and continuously banged my head on the problem until I started hearing squishy sounds and finally figured out that debug LED codes ≠ POST codes.

If you cannot do that, or it is useless info I would RMA or just keep using the board with the White slots as it works great you say

*Pre-Post Edit*

Hey, that is how it is supposed to work >>>

Slots mentioned above are slots 2, 4, and 6 which are the white slots. So sounds to me as if the board is working properly
    I sure hope so, although it would be awesome if there was a software that allows you to check the memory configurations and such. I'm going to see if I can find one.

Besides, I'm too lazy to navigate through all of the cables and water tubes to rip out the motherboard. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen431 View Post
    The white slots are the correct slots to install the memory if you are running triple channel. My problems are probably (hopefully) issues with the bios, sata, bios voltage settings & how it handles memory timings.
    Yeah, I really hope that you can get your board working correctly without having to RMA it. It really sucks to spend several hundred bucks on something that starts to malfunction.

Gah. Gigabyte needs to have better BIOS update methods.

hey man,i have the same problem, i have 3 x 2gb 1333 from kingston i7 920 and i just finished assembling, i start it, nothing... all 3 on blue, with 69 error code, i put them into white still nothing! error is 26 what did you do? please add me on msn cac21@hotmail.com or email me admin@saintdrugcyp.com

you have to put the memory in the white slots first...

The six DDR3 memory sockets are divided into three channels and each channel has two memory
    sockets as following:
    Channel 0: DDR3_1, DDR3_2
    Channel 1: DDR3_3, DDR3_4
    Channel 2: DDR3_5, DDR3_6

From the Dimm socket closest to the CPU they are labled.

DDR3_2
    DDR3_1
    DDR3_4
    DDR3_3
    DDR3_6
    DDR3_5

Due to chipset limitation, read the following guidelines before installing the memory in Dual or 3 Channel mode.
    Dual Channel--
    1. Dual Channel mode cannot be enabled if only one DDR3 memory module is installed.
    2. When enabling Dual Channel mode with two or four modules, it is recommended that memory of
    the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used. When enabling Dual Channel mode with two
    memory modules, be sure to install them in the DDR3_1 and DDR3_3 sockets.
    3 Channel--
    1. 3 Channel mode cannot be enabled if only one or two DDR3 memory modules are installed.
    2. When enabling 3 Channel mode with three, four or six modules, it is recommended that memory
    of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used.
    When enabling 3 Channel mode with three memory modules, be sure to install them in the
    DDR3_1, DDR3_3 and DDR3_5 sockets.
    When enabling 3 Channel mode with four memory modules, be sure to install them in the
    DDR3_1, DDR3_2, DDR3_3 and DDR3_5 sockets.
    • If only one DDR3 memory module is installed, be sure to install it in the DDR3_1 or DDR3_3.
    • When memory modules of different capacity and chips are installed, a message which
    says memory is operating in Flex Memory Mode will appear during the POST. Intel® Flex
    Memory Technology offers greater flexibility to upgrade by allowing different memory sizes
    to be populated and remain in Dual/3 Channel mode/performance.

I am having the same issue.. board does not accept ram in the BLue slots, even when i try using the 1st white memory slot to test one stick of 2gb corsair 1333 mhz ram on my ex58-ud5 motherboard.

I am getting the following post error code on the mobo: 29

Video does not work!

My system was working just fine until I replaced 3gb of Patriot Ram with 6gb Corsair. and also I upgraded the video card from 256 to 1 gb Evga geforce card. Now, I am not sure if i will be able to recover the system to its original state.

Anyone able to resolve this issue? any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Considering RMA.. thanks,

I think the minimum is 2 sticks of ram, I wanted to test one stick at the time to but no go :D

So use 2 sticks in the white slots and you should be fine.
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
    i7 920 @ ???
    GTX260 @ ???
    6Gb Corsair XMS3@1600Mhz
    Samsung 2x250gb
    WD 1Tb
    LaCie USB2 500Gb
    Corsair 850W 12V 70Amp single rail

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
    i7 920 @ ???
    GTX260 @ ???
    6Gb Corsair XMS3@1600Mhz
    ---------------
    ??? i was told to use 1333Mhz because the 1600s do not work on the UD5... In any case i have tried every ram configuration possible. no luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information